Task: In the novel “Stone Cold”, the writer, Robert Swindells,
succeeds in telling an exciting and gripping mystery story as well
as dealing with a few different themes. Choose one or two of
these themes and show how the author explores them in the
1. Introduction: mention the author, the task and the title.
E.g. In the novel “Stone Cold, the writer Robert Swindells looks
at a variety of themes, including homelessness, trust, love, family,
betrayal, crime and survival. He also manages to create a very
exciting story, full of suspense.
2. Brief summary of the story
E.g. The story deals with… It is told through two main narrators…
At the end we discover that…
3. Paragraphs dealing with the themes which you have chosen to
E.g. Betrayal. This means letting someone down or cheating him
or her. Think about who betrays and is betrayed in the story
1. Gail betrays Link – how?
2. Link’s mum betrays him and so does his sister – how?
3. Shelter may feel that the Army has betrayed him – why?
4. In a way, Captain Hook betrays the homeless people – how?
5. The landlord of the bed-sit cheats Link – how? Why?
6. What idea runs through all these betrayals? What does the
author tell us here about how people treat the homeless, or
about why people become homeless in the first place?
7. Remember to quote to illustrate all your points.
Then look at some more of the themes and deal with them in the
same way. You could make spider diagrams first for each one, so
that you can pick up all the points.
You could also look at how all the themes are linked with each
other. Eg. Link feels betrayed by his mum and his sister, because
they should love him. Love is another of he themes explored by
Swindells in the novel.