IPE International Publishers Limited
IPE Products Overview
IPE - Investment & Pensions Europe magazine
10,724 circulation: Europe ex-UK 77%, UK 18%, ROW 5%
IPE.com - web-based news and content
13,000+ registered users generating 3 million page impressions monthly
IPE-symposium.com - web-based conferences
600+ “attendees” average for first three events
IPE-Awards - annual awards event for Europe’s Pension Funds
312 senior pension fund executives representing funds worth €1+ trillion attended
in November 2006 - next event will be held in Vienna
IPE Real Estate - bi-monthly publication
10,835 circulation: UK 24%, ROW 76%
IPE 360° - exclusive pensions club
40+ high level pension fund executives meet three times annually to discuss best
practice in pension fund management
IPFA - International Pension Funds and their Advisers directory
Listings for 3,500+ pension funds and 3,000 advisors globally
IPE-Quest - web-based manager search service
Introduction to IPE-Quest
• Designed to bring together Institutional Investors and Asset Managers.
• Provides Institutional Investors with easy-to-use web-based technology that
delivers a manager long-list pre-RFP (Request for Proposal).
• Enables Asset Managers to place their capabilities in any given asset class in
front of potential clients.
• Since launch in July 1999, IPE-Quest has carried 541 searches worth $60+ bn.
• Additionally, IPE-Quest.com has assisted the National Treasury Management
Agency (Ireland) and Norges Bank Investment Management (Norway) with 24
searches worth a further $20 bn.
The Basics: investors
1. Investors can register for a User ID and Password via Investor Access.
2. There are no fees at any stage for investors.
3. Investors can use their User ID and Password to place manager searches
directly onto the site via the Investor Access pages where they will find a
step by step guide to creating searches.
4. Investors remain anonymous - their names are not published on the site.
5. On a set date, IPE-Quest forwards all of the replies from the asset managers
to the investor in XLS format.
6. The investor can then review the information and contact any manager(s)
whose response is of interest.
7. The only commitment by the investor is to inform IPE-Quest
(confidentially) which managers are contacted and which are not.
8. A full explanation is available at Using IPE-Quest.
The Basics: asset managers
1. Asset managers register for a User ID and Password via Manager Access.
2. Asset managers can use their User ID and Password to review all searches
and application forms via the Search Quests pages.
3. Registration and reviewing the searches and application forms is free of
charge - asset managers only pay a fee when replying to searches.
4. Replies are made via the online application form attached to each search
listed on the Search Quests pages.
5. Asset managers must purchase a minimum of 5 replies in advance - we call
these “credits” - at a cost of £400 (£80 each). One “credit” enables an asset
manager to reply to one search.
6. A full explanation is available at Using IPE-Quest.
The Basics: mandate profile
All investors are requested to provide a profile of their mandate; some provide
more information than others. Here is one example:
Quest Number: 562
Closing Date: 20 January 2006
Asset Class: Pan-European Small Cap Core Equity
Mandate Size: $100m +
Performance: Requested to end December 2005
Profile: This search is being conducted by a pension fund in Switzerland.
The benchmark is expected to be the HSBC Small Europe TR.
Criteria: - Solid track-record over a minimum of 4 years
- Minimum AUM in strategy USD 300 million
- Stable portfolio management team
- Universe: all Europe
- TE: minimum 4%
The Basics: application forms
Application forms vary. It is possible for investors to select a standard
application form when setting up a search (via Investor Access) or to create their
own application form. Here is our standard application form:
1 Date to which performance data is stated
2-4 Institutional and total AUM worldwide and within the class of mandate
5 Number of institutional clients for the class of mandate
6-9 Number and value of mandate wins and losses in the asset class over 3 years
10-13 Product name, type, inception date, benchmark plus philosophy & process
14-18 Annualised performance record for 1/2/3/4/5 years
19-23 Annualised benchmark performance for 1/2/3/4/5 years
24-27 Ex-post tracking error for 2/3/4/5 years
28-31 Information ratio for 2/3/4/5 years
32 The base currency used to calculate these performance records
33 Note on performance attribution
34-35 Note on investment performance / reporting standards (compliance)
36 Do you provide management through segregated and/or pooled account/s?
37-38 Additional information and legal disclaimer
- Name of firm, contact person, telephone, email and postal address
Investors: placing searches
Searches placed by institutional investors since launch in July 1999:
83 Pension Funds have placed 246 searches
27 Consultants have placed 138 searches
17 Banks & Asset Managers have placed 78 searches
15 Insurance Companies have placed 42 searches
7 Foundations have placed 30 searches
2 Family Offices have placed 7 searches
151 Institutional Investors have placed 541 searches
14 of these investors were new to IPE-Quest in 2006
Source of searches by location since launch in July 1999:
• Switzerland 115
• Denmark (91) / Finland (20) / Sweden (11) / Norway (5) 127
• Netherlands (97) / Belgium (16) / Luxembourg (7) 120
• UK 51
• Germany 42
• Middle East 33
• Canada (21) / USA (6) 27
• Others 26
Investors and consultants using the site
Most investors request anonymity when they use the site for their searches
but a growing number are prepared to state that they have used IPE-Quest:
3D Global Financial Services – Cyprus
alpha portfolio advisors – Germany DIP – Denmark
ABP Investments- The Netherlands Doctors Pension Fund Services - The Netherlands
AHV Ausgleichsfonds - Switzerland EDS – Belgium
Amonis - Belgium FSE Construction- Belgium
APK – Austria Fund Consulting - UK
BAE Systems - UK Goris Advies - The Netherlands
Bank Leu – Switzerland Industriens Pension - Denmark
Cordares Vermogensbeheer- The Netherlands Investment Solutions - UK
Complementa Consulting - Switzerland JOEP – Denmark
Investors and consultants using the site
Kieger Institutional Investment PensPlan - Italy
Consulting- Switzerland PKA - Denmark
Kirstein Finans - Denmark Procordias - Sweden
Kottmann Advisory - Switzerland PUBLICA - Switzerland
Kempen Capital Management- The Netherlands Robert Bosch- Germany
Lærernes Pension - Denmark Sampension - Denmark
MBS Capital Advice – Switzerland Spaengler KAG - Austria
Nomura Asset Management - UK TKP Investments - The Netherlands
Parex Asset Management - Latvia TRW (Lucas Verity) - UK
Pen-Sam – Denmark VKG - Belgium
Pensioenfonds Metaal - Belgium West Of England – Luxembourg
Pensionskasse Manor - Switzerland
102 searches in 2006
Debt - 24
Equity - 56 6
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 3 High Yield
Asia Pacific 1
Eastern Europe 0
Emerging EMEA Europe Eurozone Global GDM USA Open
Emerging Europe All Cap
Mid Cap Others - 22
Japan S/M Cap
MENA Small Cap
North America 1 2
Russia 3 Balanced
1 Fiduciary Management
Hedge + Hedge FoF
Managers: submitting data
660 managers submit data to searches placed on IPE-Quest:
Europe 68% - USA 26% - ROW 6%.
Note: Many US and Asian managers respond from their European offices.
United Kingdom 208
Other Europe 24
Rest of the World 39
Managers: by AUM
Based on an analysis of the world’s largest institutional asset managers by assets under
management* we can see that significant numbers reply through IPE-Quest:
100% of the largest 50
93% of the largest 100
83% of the largest 200
74% of the largest 300
69% of the largest 400
Plus another 300+ boutiques and alternative asset managers
who do not appear in the Top 400.
* Source: Top 400 Asset Managers published by IPE magazine, June 2006.
N.B.: This analysis is based on the replies received from managers to 31 December 2005.
Managers: winning mandates
An analysis of 137 firms 40
awarded mandates 2002- 35
2005, shows no size bias 30
amongst investors, with of
an even spread of appointme nts 20
large & mega managers 5
being appointed. 0
Boutique Small Medium Large Mega
Manager type (by AUM)
> $0 bn > $10 bn > $25 bn > $100 bn > $400 bn
Works for investors and consultants
• Access to wide range of asset managers
• Access to ALL asset classes offered by those managers
• Data delivered in succinct, uniform format
• No fees, anonymous, simple to use
Works for asset managers
• Access to investors via additional business channel
• Data requested via short, easy to use online forms
• Majority of questions are common across application forms
• Low fees, simple to use
Ruth Adelino Tel: +44 20 7261 4630 Ruth.Adelino@IPE-Quest.com
Liz Clarke Tel: +353 435 09 17 Liz.Clarke@IPE-Quest.com
Jayna Vishram Tel: +44 20 7261 4631 Jayna.Vishram@IPE-Quest.com
IPE International Publishers Limited
320 Great Guildford House
30 Great Guildford Street
London SE1 0HS
All information supplied with this presentation is correct as at 31 December 2006.