Title: Creating a utopian/dystopian society
Contributors: Anne Dillon
Grade: 12 Subject: English- Standard and CP
Instructional Setting: Small group
Time required: 3 class periods
Teacher Computer Competency Level: Intermediate
1.5.11E, F ,G
Technology: 3.7.11-12C (2)
3.7.11-12E (2 and 3)
1. By the end of this lesson, the students will use their understanding of utopias
to create a Utopian or Dystopian society.
2. By the end of this lesson, the students will use propaganda and advertising
techniques in the creation of a brochure for their society.
3. By the end of this lesson, the students will use technology/multimedia sources
to publish an advertising brochure/campaign.
Class notes on propaganda, advertising techniques, Utopias
Computer Lab (preferably with color printer)
Preparation for Teacher:
The class should have completed novel and have been taught advertising and
propaganda techniques prior to this lesson.
1. Handout assignment and explain expectations and requirements.
2. Review techniques of advertising and propaganda.
3. Break the class into groups of 3 or 4.
4. Monitor the small group discussions on the style, mandates and procedures of
5. Ask questions to get them thinking about what is and is not feasible and why
they made the choices they did.
6. Take class to the computer lab.
7. Monitor student use of scanner, digital camera, Photoshop and Word.
1. Discuss necessary changes to social system to create new society.
2. Analyze the effectiveness of advertising and propaganda techniques.
3. Use the digital camera, scanner and Photoshop to create an advertising
medium for their new society.
4. Evaluate and assess use of technology in the creation of their brochure.
..\Dillon hyperlinks\technology & self evaluation form.doc
Society worksheet, Brochure and assessment
Present societies/brochures to the class
Create your own brochure first.
Keep exemplary student work as a model for next year.
See sample rubric:
..\Dillon hyperlinks\Eng 12 (utopian or dystopia) brochure rubric.doc