Summarize technology used in
Digital communication systems
• Word processing software
– Used to create documents containing primarily text
• Desktop publishing software
– Combines text and graphics in documents
• Database software
– Organizes a collection of information
• Spreadsheet software
– Designed for computerized worksheets
• Presentation software
– Used to make professional presentations
Interactive technology includes…
• Voice mail
– The technology used for leaving messages when no
one is available to answer a telephone (inexpensive)
– Messages are delivered from one users’ computer to
another. This technology allows for instant memo
composition and more informal contacts
• Touchscreen computer
– Allows the user to interact by simply touching a
computer screen. (kiosk and e-tickets)
– Sales of products via the Internet
– Immediate access to prospective customers all over
– Introduction of new products and/or updating of
product information instantaneously.
– Less costly distribution channels or middlemen.
– Quality customer service may be difficult achieve.
– Demand may be difficult to predict due to
What has been the impact of the
• World Wide Web - A means of accessing, organizing,
and moving information on the Internet. The Web
made the Internet user-friendly by acting as a large
library of information.
• Search engine - A software program that searches
web sites about a topic. For example, two of the most
popular search engines are Google and Yahoo.
1. What does digital communications
2. What does interactive technology
3. Name 1 advantage of e-commerce.
4. Name 1 disadvantage of e-commerce.
5. Define search engine.
BONUS: Name the 2 most popular search