Quick start for the
new bike commuter
frontrunner • Buy a bicycle and a helmet that
Passengers are allowed to bring bicycles fit you well
on board providing the following guidelines • Outfit your bike with the right
accessories for safety, security
are followed: and convenience
• The bicycle must be free of dirt and grease. • Consider special clothes and shoes
to keep you comfortable
• Cyclist must walk the bicycle when on the
station platform or when crossing • Learn and follow Utah’s bicycle laws
the tracks. • Test your route on a day off bike commuting
• Cyclist must wait for the next train if the • Decide where to store your bike,
clean up or change at work
bikes on bus
train is too full to allow the cyclist to board.
• Bicycles must not block doors, aisles,
bikes on rail
Getting to work by bike is easy, but it will
or stairways on the train.
require some adjustments to your daily
• No fuel-powered vehicles
routine. UTA Rideshare highly recommends
are allowed on trains.
Utah Department of Transportation’s Utah
Bicycle Commuter Guide to get started.
on bi-level cars with green bicycle
logo above the door: You can download a free copy at:
• Cyclists must enter and
exit thru the designated
• Bicycles must be left in
the area directly under
the stairs (room for 4
bikes) or in the area where seats have w w w. r i d e u t a . c o m
been removed (4 bikes on each side). w w w.ut arideshare.com
on bi-level cars without green bicycle PO BOx 30810
logo above the door: 3600 SOUTh 700 WEST
• Cyclists must enter and exit thru the SLC, UTAh 84130-0810
southernmost door of these cars.
• Bicycles must be left in the area directly
under the stairs (room for 4 bikes).
No bicycles are allowed on the single-level
cars directly behind the locomotive.
bikes on buses bikes on traX
and maX Passengers are allowed to bring bicycles
on board providing the following guidelines
Bicycles are permitted on
all routes except Ski Service
and Paratransit Service. • The bicycle must be free of dirt and grease.
All loading and unloading of bicycles can • Cyclist must walk the bicycle when on
the station platform or
be done by the bicycle rider (UTA suggests
when crossing the tracks.
that children’s bicycles be loaded by an
• Cyclist must wait for
accompanying adult). Just follow these the next train if the train
easy steps when using the bike rack: is too full to allow the
cyclist to board.
• Bicycles must board thru the front
lo adin g bi k e s and rear doors only of each car.
• Prepare your bike for loading.
• No bicycles are allowed on the access ramp
Remove water bottles or loose
or the area directly behind the operator.
items that could fall off.
• Cyclists on TRAX must stand with the
• For your safety, make eye bicycle at all times.
contact with the driver before
stepping in front of the bus. • A maximum of two bicycles are allowed
in the front and two bicycles in the rear
You must load your bike from the
of each TRAX car.
curb or in front of the bus. Do not step u nlo a ding bikes
into oncoming traffic to load your bike. • Bicycles must not block doors, aisles,
• Return the bike card and inform the bus
or stairways on the train.
• Squeeze handle up to release the latch, driver that you will be unloading your bike
then fold down the bike rack. as you approach your stop. Access bike • No fuel-powered vehicles are allowed
from the curb side of the bus. on trains.
• Lift your bike onto the bike rack, fitting
wheels into labeled wheel slots. • Raise the Support Arm off the tire
• Raise the Support Arm up and over front (Support Arm automatically folds down
tire so that hook rests at highest point on to secure position).
bike l ock e r r e n tal s
• Lift your bike out of the bike rack.
Want to keep your bike clean, dry and secure
• Take a “bike card” from the bus driver as • Squeeze the handle and fold up the bike
while you’re at work? You can now rent a bicycle
you board and choose a seat near the front rack until it locks securely into place.
storage locker near
to keep an eye on your bike.
• For your safety step to the curb side of many UTA TRAx and
• Enjoy the ride. DON’T FORGET you have a the bus with your bike. FrontRunner stations.
bike with you when you get off at your stop. To see if a locker is
available at a station
near you or to find out
Call 1-888-RIDE-UTA (743-3882) more details about
for more information or visit reserving a bicycle
www.utarideshare.com. locker visit www.utarideshare.com.
For your convenience, bicycle racks are located
at most stations. (You must provide your own lock.)
A different way to get there