Science Lab Report
Duties Each Person Performed…
Title of Lab Aspirin lab
Date: 1-Nov-12 Class: Biochemistry Period:
1. Explain in words what happens during the process of dehydration synthesis.
2. Tell how this process is used to produce aspirin. Explain with words and
1. We predict a ______% yield because yields of organic reactions are
2. We predict that after purification the aspirin we produce will be
(More/Less) pure than commercial aspirin.
3. We predict that ______ characteristics of organic products and reactions will be
demonstrated in this lab.
List materials required to produce aspirin:
List materials needed to purify aspirin:
Page 1 of 3
Briefly describe what you did to produce aspirin:
Briefly describe what you did to purify aspirin:
How many grams of purified aspirin did you produce?
What evidence did you collect to prove that your aspirin was pure?
1. Show your work for calculating your percent yield.
2. Show how you calculated the number of aspirin tablets you could produce using the
amount of pure aspirin you made.
1. Evaluate your hypotheses.
2. Explain why the purification process works to remove any un-reacted salicylic
3. Compare the purity of your final aspirin to the commercial product and to last
4. Compare the acidity of your aspirin to the commercial product and to last year’s
Page 2 of 3
1. What characteristics of organic reactions and organic products were
illustrated in this lab. What characteristics were contra-indicated?
2. Most drugs are enzyme inhibitors. How is this the case with aspirin?
3. Based on your lab experience comment on the fact that aspirin is one of
the most inexpensive OTC drugs found in the pharmacy?
4. Based on your lab experience comment on why your aspirin was more or less
pure than the commercial aspirin.
5. Based on the chemical formula for aspirin why is it likely that taking aspirin may
cause stomach upset.
6. Considering the possibility of aspirin poisoning and the taste of aspirin. Why do
you suppose they do not add sweeteners to aspirin?
7. List one health benefit of taking aspirin and explain the mechanism thak accounts
for this benefit.
Page 3 of 3