An Attorney Retainer Agreement is an agreement whereby an attorney or law firm
agrees to legally represent a client on specific terms and conditions which is
acknowledged and signed by a client. Such terms and conditions can include hourly
fees, payment provisions and the grounds for withdrawal. This agreement is ideal for
law firms or attorneys that want to use a retainer agreement for their clients.
ATTORNEY RETAINER AGREEMENT
This Attorney Retainer Agreement (the “Agreement”) is made as of the ______ day of
_________, ____ (the “Effective Date”) by and between _________________ (the “Client”) and
________________ (the “Law Firm”). Client hereby retains Law Firm to represent Client on the
following terms and conditions:
1. Client hereby acknowledges and agrees to pay to the order of Law Firm legal fees
at the rate of ____________ dollars ($________) per hour for any and all legal services
performed by Law Firm on behalf of Client, together with all disbursement costs incurred by
Law Firm on behalf of Client and all applicable taxes.
2. Client hereby acknowledges and agrees to pay to Law Firm, legal fees in respect
of legal services performed by paralegals of Law Firm on behalf of Client at the rate of
__________ ($______) dollars per hour and legal fees in respect of legal services performed by
legal assistants of Law Firm on behalf of Client at the rate of _____________ ($_________)
dollars per hour.
3. Client further hereby acknowledges and agrees to pay to Law Firm a non-
refundable retainer fee in the amount of ___________ dollars ($_____) (the “Retainer”).
4. Client grants the right to Law Firm to take all steps necessary and to perform all
filings of lawsuits or other related legal documents on behalf of Client in connection with
5. Client hereby acknowledges and agrees that Law Firm has made or provided no
guarantee to Client in respect of the success or outcome of Client’s case. Any and all legal
services performed by Law Firm on behalf of Client will be charged against the Retainer.
6. Client hereby acknowledges and agrees that any and all fees to be paid to Law
Firm for legal services performed can and may be higher than the Retainer amount paid to Law
Firm under this Agreement.
7. Client hereby acknowledges and agrees, that it is and will be Client’s
responsibility to pay any costs associated with the hiring of experts, including but not limited to,
investigators, appraisers, accountants, medical doctors, mental health professionals, or social
workers, should such expert services be required in connection with Client’s case.
8. Client hereby acknowledges and agrees that Law Firm will retain all monies paid
by Client to Law Firm in Law Firm’s trust account. Client authorizes Law Firm to withdraw
monies from the trust account in respect of legal costs and disbursements owing to Law Firm for
professional services rendered and to reimburse Law Firm for any and all unpaid legal fees and
© Copyright 2013 Docstoc Inc. 2
9. Law Firm acknowledges and agrees to invoice Client for all professional legal
services rendered and disbursements incurred by Law Firm on behalf of Client, on a
______________ basis or in accordance with Law Firm’s billing cycle.
10. Client hereby acknowledges and agrees to pay forthwith to Law Firm any all
amounts due under invoices submitted to Client for professional services rendered and
disbursements incurred by Law Firm on behalf of Client within ___________ (____) days of
receiving Law Firm’s invoice and that interest will be charge at the rate of ___________ percent
(____%) per annum.
11. Client hereby acknowledges and agrees to pay to Law Firm a _____________
dollar ($______) service charge in respect of any checks returned for any reason whatsoever,
including but not limited to insufficient funds or stop payment orders.
12. Client hereby acknowledges and agrees that Law Firm will arrange a mutually
reasonable payment plan to Law Firm for professional services rendered and disbursements
incurred by Law Firm on behalf of Client, should Client make such a request for such payment
plan in writing to Law Firm. Client hereby further acknowledges and agrees that should Client
not pay to Law Firm the pre-arranged payment amount within ___________ (_____) days of the
invoices being sent to Client, Law Firm will file whatever necessary legal documentation is
required in the applicable jurisdiction to remove Law Firm from record, as attorney for Client,
and will seek from Client, all fees and disbursements incurred in connection therewith including
any and all unpaid invoices owing to Law Firm plus any accrued interest.
13. Client hereby acknowledges and agrees that any monies awarded to Client by way
of cash, settlement, judgment, or court order will be deposited into Law Firm’s trust account and
Client hereby gives authority to Law Firm to pay any and all balances or outstanding balances
due to Law Firm out of the trust account prior to payment of the balance of the monies to Client.
14. Law Firm hereby acknowledges that Law Firm does and will maintain errors and
omissions insurance coverage applicable to the professional legal services rendered and the
15. Client hereby acknowledges that Client has the right, at any time and upon
Client’s written request, to remove Law Firm from record as legal counsel for Client. Law Firm
hereby agrees that upon a written request by Client to remove Law Firm from record as legal
counsel for Client, Law Firm will provide forthwith to Client, all of Client’s legal files and any
documentation in connection therewith, provided that any and all balances and outstanding
balances due and owing to Law Firm have