• Focus on analysis methods and what has changed
• This is paper is a vehicle to making analysis
papers go out faster.
• If what we publish in this paper is not what we do
in our analysis, then the this paper will not be as
• Elements may be published elsewhere which will
reduce the length, publication time.
Introduction: (bla bla bla novel new detector bla bla bla)
Detector Description: (Heavily reference Grito and stress differences,
• Reservoir -GS (not much needed)
• Liner/Cover -GS (not much needed)
• Inflation/Installation -MS/DC(?) (new to Milagro)
• PMTs/Baffles - DW (Baffles new and important)
• Outrigger Array -TS(?)/GBY (lots of stuff here. ORs new to Milagro)
• Water System -MS
• DAQ/Trigger -BD
• Repairs and Maintenance -BD
• OR diagram
• OR layout
Operation of Milagro:
• Calibration -AJS,BD,NYU
• Pedestal shift -CL
• Alignment - Zenith Align, Pointing Accuracy, Precision -AJS
• Online Reconstruction -AJS
• Data handling -AJS
• Online analysis -AJS
• GCN -??
• Historic on-time
• Calibration Diagram (In print? ICRC?)
Water Tests -MS
Detailed explanation of g4sim will be relegated to a separate paper.
• Event Reconstruction
• Core Fitting -AJS??
• Angle Fitting -AJS??
• Gamma/Hadron Separation: -AA
• DelEO (???)
• Gamma/Hadron variables for MC gammas, MC hadrons, data
• Background Estimation -GW
• Direct Integration
• ROI exclusion
• Anisotropy (Mention this. It is important to the limit)
Ref. paper by RF/LF and Cygnus (expt. not region)
• Allsky signif. distribution
• Significance Computation -JL/AJS
• Event Weighting (gamma/hadron weighting)
• PSF Weighting
• Sensitivity improvement for various spectra for given assumed spectra.
(This could be separate paper, in which case this lengthy section could be
replaced by a shorter section with a reference to the paper.)
• Energy Spectrum Estimation BA/GBY
• Energy estimators
• Fit method
(Reference separate spectral analysis paper)
(Does the moon belong here as a verification of the energy scale?)
Plot showing dE vs E.
• The Crab Nebula - A Demonstration of Milagro’s sensitivity
• Verification of gamma/hadron variables
• Verification of point spread function
• Measurement of flux and spectrum
• “sigma” map
• PSF plot
• Gamma/hadron comparison
• GRB Analysis
• Extended source sensitivity