Docstoc

Opening Remarks USDA Forest Service

Document Sample
Opening Remarks USDA Forest Service Powered By Docstoc
					                      North Central Idaho Resource Advisory Committee
                                     Final Meeting Notes
                                        April 22, 2009

Meeting Location: Jack O’Connor Center, Lewiston, Idaho

RAC Members Present: Kent Henderson (chairmen), Fred Trevey, Mike Hanna, Chris
St.Germaine, Dennis Baird, Don Heckman, David Bodine, Jack Nelson, Don McPherson, Susie
Borowicz, Don Ebert, Harlan Opdahl, Brett Bennett, Emmit Taylor, Jr. & Heidi McRoberts

RAC Replacement Members Present: Randy Doman, Gary Lane, Robert Abbott

Designated Federal Official: Laura Smith
Recorder: Lynnann Bullene

Guests: Clarence Binninger, Sportsmen; Mike Roach, representing Senator Risch; Jim Rehder,
Idaho County Commissioner; Peter Stegner, representing Senator Crapo; Ree Brannon, Coordinator
for Clearwater Resource, Conservation & Development Council & CBC; Leigh Dawson, Hells
Canyon National Recreation Area, Wallowa Whitman NF; Danielle Gautreau, Red River Hot
Springs; Robert Blake, Red River Electrification project; Eric Robie, Red River Electrification
project; Joyce Dearstyne, Executive Director for Framing Our Community; Les Dobson, Ecosystem
Staff, Clearwater NF; Jay Crenshaw, Idaho Fish & Game; Darrell Mereck, Upper Red River
Coalition; Diana Jones, Landscape Architect, Clearwater NF; Doug Gober, North Fork Ranger,
Clearwater NF; Jim White, Idaho Fish & Game; Gene Meinen, Idaho Co. Road Dept.; Craig
Trulock, Lochsa District Ranger, Clearwater NF; Kara Chadwick, Palouse District Ranger,
Clearwater NF; Meg Foltz, Palouse Hydrologist, Clearwater NF; Mike Cook, Engineering Staff,
Nez Perce NF; Linda Hinds, Budget Officer, Nez Perce NF; Daryl Mullinix, Grangeville Highway
District; Scott Godfrey, Timber Staff Clearwater RD, Nez Perce NF; Terry Nevius, Red River
Ranger, Nez Perce NF; Dick Haener, Grangeville Highway District; Cindy Lane, Vegetation Staff,
Clearwater NF; Suzanne Qualmann, Palouse RD Staff, Clearwater NF; Alex Irby, Clearwater Basin
Collaborative; Aaron Miles, CBC and Nez Perce Tribe; Joe Hudson, Moose Creek Ranger, Nez
Perce NF; Keith Lawrence, Nez Perce Tribe; Rob Mason, Selway Bitterroot Foundation; Barb
Opdahl, Public; Carl Crabtree, Idaho County Weeds; Tom Reilly, Supervisor of Clearwater NF &
Acting Supervisor Nez Perce NF


I. Opening Remarks:
- Chairmen Kent opened the meeting at 10:05 a.m. North Central Idaho RAC members introduced
themselves and the interest group they represent. Guests then introduced themselves. Lynnann
passed around a sign in sheet for the guests.
- Laura spoke to the follow up of the Forest/RAC Liaison list. She has contacted the other Forests,
received the contact name for each and added it to our list. She asked for a RAC member to work
with the Bitterroot – Susie, Wallowa Whitman – Randy, Salmon Challis – Don McPherson and
Susie, the Payette – Randy and Chris. Laura will get those added and will mail the list to the RAC
members.
- Kent passed around an email he received from Margaret Soulen Hinson with the Wild Sheep
Foundation endorsing the Bighorn Sheep projects that are proposed.

                                                                                                      1
II. RAC Agency Overhead Information:
- Linda Hinds, Budget Officer on the Nez Perce NF, was in attendance at the meeting to provide
some background information and answer questions from RAC members on overhead assessment.
Linda passed around a handout that she reviewed while answering questions as they arose. After
much discussion a sub-committee consisting of Fred, Randy, Chris and Mike will work will Linda
to come up with an overhead percentage rate to suggest to the RAC at the next meeting.

III. 2009 RAC Project List:
- A project list was handed out. Kent wanted to go down thru the list and cull out the projects that
the RAC members can’t/won’t support at all. Fred thought that since all the project presenters were
here, that presentations on the all the projects that can be done today, should be addressed.
Presenters were asked to let the RAC know if the project could be broken down, (i.e. less acres
accomplished, less roads decommissioned, less trails cleared, less money, etc.) and if the project
was also on the Forest’s stimulus list. It was suggested that if a project was needing multi year
funding, to only approve the FY09 portion now.

Break

IV. 2009 RAC Project Presentations
09-042-05-2: Lochsa Road Decommissioning presented by Les Dobson. Project description is to
decommission approximately 8 miles of road and perform 2 miles of road storage in the Yakus and
White Creek areas. Approval for fewer acres is acceptable.

09-002-05-1: Clearwater Basin Collaborative presented by Alex Irby, Aaron Miles, Ree Brannon.
Project description is improve forest health, economic vitality and land protection through
collaborative development of short and long term forest restoration projects, to include a proposal
for a large scale project funded by the Forest Landscape Restoration Act. The CBC is a large
committee made up of area interest groups, who in the past have disagreed on Forest projects of all
sorts. This Collaborative makes them work together along with the Forest Service to put out
projects that all can agree on before litigation. The CBC has been working to raise money to help
fund their goals. Question was asked what if the CBC does not get the funding needed? They will
just do less project wise. Aaron Miles spoke on behalf of the Nez Perce Tribe supporting the work
of the CBC. Members of CBC (and RAC) Mike Hanna and Don Ebert have both seen the CBC
group work together to see several timber sales issues resolved before litigation. Another question
was why should the RAC give money to CBC instead of funding projects that are shovel ready now,
that will provide jobs now, and help the economy of the local communities now? Goal of CBC is to
ensure that future shovel ready projects will exist and work with the FS to make their management
decisions better for future projects. Alex is in full support of the Collaborative.

09-038-05-1: Clearwater NF Chemical Roadside Brushing presented by Suzanne Qualmann. Project
description is to treat the brush along roadways with herbicide one year after it was mechanical
brushed. This would be a contract to private vendor that would use Garlan or Milestone type of
herbicides. The $4000 is for one contract treating around 110 miles of roadside brush.


                                                                                                   2
09-015-05-3: Clearwater NF Pre-commercial Thinning presented by Cindy Lane. One year contract
to thin around 500 acres on the Palouse RD. NEPA is completed. Estimate $185.00 per acre for
total cost of $90,000.00. Approval for fewer acres is acceptable. Question was asked if the thinned
slash would be scattered? Yes at this time it would be. This proposal is just for the thinning, using
the slash for a bio-mass opportunity would be another project onto its own.

09-049-05-1: Clearwater Timber/Vegetation Inventory Stand Exams presented by Cindy Lane.
Collect stand level data on 300 to 500 acres to be used for future potential projects. Approval for
fewer acres is acceptable.

A question was asked about the results of the Lidar project that the RAC funded a few years back?
What’s the difference between the Lidar and Stand Exams data? Laura will contact that project’s
sponsor and see if an update can be presented at the next meeting.

V. Stimulus Update from Tom
- In the stimulus bill, $1.1 billion was set aside for potential projects to the FS in the areas of Capital
Improvement and Maintenance; and Wildland Fire Management on Federal Land. Listed were
formed and presented to the deciding officials from all Forests nationwide. To date about 10% of
the $1.1 has been awarded. The Clearwater and Nez Perce Forests have submitted proposals in the
categories. Tom just received a letter stating that the WO is holding off on issuing the lists of
projects until certain issues can be resolved. With Idaho County being on both Forests, proposed
projects may end up on the Clearwater. Another question was asked that if the RAC approves a
project that was also put in for stimulus funding, and stimulus funds it, can the RAC stop their
approval? Of course, hopefully by the May meeting the stimulus lists will be out and the RAC can
approve projects without worrying about stimulus affecting the approved projects. A question was
asked – Does the FS have the capacity (workers) to implement all these stimulus projects, say
Region wide? Good question – Tom stated that it doesn’t look like the Montana Forests’ are going
to get as much money as the Idaho Forests’ so this is going to be a great opportunity to work across
the region to implement the projects and the Regional Forester is endorsing this opportunity.
- On a positive note, the final 2009 FS budget direction is out and there’s more in certain staff areas
than initially thought. Then with the potential stimulus money and the Secure Rural Schools being
authorized, hopefully the two Forests can produce a significant impact on the economy in our local
communities.

- Chris made a motion to approve an 8% overhead assessment on the final costs of all projects
approved by the RAC. Don McPherson seconded motion. Discussion – Fred suggests that we
should let the overhead assessment committee that was formed earlier meet, gather information
needed and hold discussions with Linda before formally deciding. Chris withdrew her motion.

2009 RAC Project Presentations continued…..
09-030-05-1: Clearwater NF Forest Wide Trail Maintenance presented by Carol Hennessey. Project
will improve trail conditions on trails that have not been adequately maintained over the past 5 to 10
years or more due to lack of trail maintenance funds. This trail work will not be funded by stimulus.
Through use of contracts, this project will target smaller miles of trail work so local contracts have
the chance to gain employment. These are not main line trails. Approval of fewer acres is
acceptable.



                                                                                                         3
09-031-05-2: Selway Bitterroot Wilderness Fire Affected Trails presented by Carol Hennessey.
This project is to improve 100 miles of trail conditions on trails that have not been adequately
opened and maintained due to lack of trail maintenance funds and extreme closure conditions
resulting from fires. This project would be in conjunction with the North Central Idaho Backcountry
Horsemen and the Montana Conservation Corp. The BCH support this project because they support
“access” and this project will work the trails that are very remote. The BCH doesn’t want to see
these trails closed for lack of maintenance. The MCC is working with the local employment
agencies to recruit people for 2 crews in the Clearwater Basin. Last year with MCC only 3% of the
kids were from Idaho. MCC is working with college’s and employment offices to increase that
percentage. It takes around $160,000 to support these crews and that money could be spent locally
to purchase equipment and supplies. Also it gives the youth an opportunity to see if this work is the
kind of work they would like to continue to do. Since this project area is remote it is cheaper to use
MCC than to solicit for a contract. This proposal only addresses 100 miles of trail work out of 325
miles that needs to be maintained.

LUNCH

Kent led a tour of Jack O’Connor museum.

2009 RAC Project Presentations continued…..
09-032-05-2: Selway Bitterroot Foundation Volunteer Coordination Program presented by Carol
Hennessey and Rob Mason. This project is for the Selway Bitterroot Wilderness that is in Idaho
County and is on the Bitterroot, Clearwater and Nez Perce Forests. This will fund four experienced
wilderness project leaders to accomplish priority work within the SBW. Having these leaders will
also aid the Forest Service in their efforts in the SBW by coordination of projects.

09-028-05-1: Clearwater Mark & Cruise presented by Cindy Lane. Project is to accomplish part of
the sale preparation work by contracting out the marking and cruising of five large programmed
sales and two smaller thinning and fuel reduction sales. The objective is to meet a portion of the
Clearwater’s timber sale program for 2010, 2011 and 2012. This is a 3 year request for different
dollar amounts yearly based on acres. It will be a contract. Question was asked why RAC money
was needed for this – can’t FS money be used? The budget that the FS receives for this work has
been cut back. It would take us longer to put these sales out using FS appropriated funds.

09-034-05-3: Clearwater NF Boundary Adjustments presented by Kara Chadwick. Project consists
of using a contractor to sign the Forest boundaries on the Palouse RD. There is a lot of entwined
land ownership and with some recent land exchange’s; the Palouse RD is not signed properly. There
was a comment made on Potlatch Corp. signing their land. Kara’s reply was that Potlatch does sign
but due to some State and private ownership intermixed with Potlatch and Forest Service, that
signing is the best way to go.

09-052-05-1: Clearwater Elk Habitat Restoration presented by Doug Gober. Improve winter habitat
for elk by cutting shrub fields on the North Fork Ranger District. It’s reasonable to do around 109
acres a summer at $400 an acre. Clarence Binninger spoke in support of this project.

09-035-05-1: Camp 60/Sheep Mtn OVH Trail presented by Doug Gober. Complete the 56 mile
OHV loop trail system to reduce the amount of off trail use in this area. The RAC has provided
money for this OHV trail construction in the past. There are several of the new connecting routes
                                                                                                     4
that need further work such as brushing, excavator work in rocky areas and final trail grading. The
local Public Land Access Year round group has adopted this project and has contributed time and
labor. There is no stimulus money tied to this project. Chris stated that the local communities are in
favor of this trail and its economical benefits that it will bring to them.

09-047-05-1: Clearwater Forest Management Interpretation presented by Doug Gober. General
public signing on Forest Service land of what has occurred over time on that pierce of land. A
brochure and web site information could also develop over time if the public response is good.

09-045-05-1: Deception WUI Fuels presented by Doug Gober. To provide a fuel break on National
Forest land adjacent to private ownership. A survey will need to be done to identify the borders of
the private ownership and then thinning, slashing, brush removal, piling and burning will occur on
FS land bordering the private land to reduce the fuel load. Question asked if doing this project
would encourage more people to move into that area? No, there is only 2000 acres of private land
surrounded by FS land. Most of it is old mining claims. Question asked if this area really qualifies
as Urban Interface? It is on the very low end of urban interface. Another question asked was if this
project was submitted to the State fire working group for approval? Answer was no. Doug added
that these land owners do not live there permanently, most are just there in the summer. They have
been contacted and are in favor of this project and would like to work with the FS to ensure that
their land is also cleared adequately to reduce the fuel load incase of a fire.

09-048-05-1: Gezel Game Retrieval Permit System presented by Doug Gober. As part of the Gezel
Creek Restoration Project, 10.2 miles of road was closed yearlong rather that having a seasonal
restriction to improve elk security habitat. Project consists of purchase and installation of materials
needed to implement an experimental, non fee, self issue permit system for the purpose of game
retrieval.

09-050-05-1: Osier LO View Clearing & Fuels Reduction presented by Doug Gober. Commercially
thin approximately 50 acres surrounding the lookout. This lookout was staffed for fire detection
purposes for years and then some safety maintenance issues shut it down. Now that the maintenance
is completed and would like to get it staffed again but the trees have grown up enough to obstruct
the view. This could be a potential small timber sale, but it is a long way out for many bidders.
Question asked why can’t the local FS fire crew do this work? There would be time frame
constraints with snow melt and fire season activity.

09-036-05-1: Scurvy Mountain Lookout Restoration presented by Doug Gober. Complete the
restoration work of Scurvy Mtn Lookout so it can become part of the Forest’s rental program. This
project is in for stimulus funding.

09-037-05-1: Clearwater NF Rd. 555 Culvert Replacements presented by Doug Gober. Replace two
undersized culverts on road 555 near Weitas Creek Guard Station. A prescribed burn was conducted
in 2008 and these culverts will likely become plugged during spring run-off causing the water to run
down the road and deteriorate it. The FS has no extra maintenance money to do this project.
Question asked was how much traffic does this area receive? This road is somewhat remote but is
used by some Outfitter & Guides, fisherman, hikers, berry pickers and hunters. It’s used a lot more
than most people think.

Break
                                                                                                          5
09-055-17-2: Rapid River Trailhead presented by Mike Cook. Three phase project; first phase was
the Environmental Assessment, Decision of Notice and Finding of No Significant Impact, which the
RAC funded earlier; second phase is survey and design of the planned access road trailhead
improvements and obtain needed right of ways; third phase would reconstruct an existing road to
the proposed trailhead location and construct the trailhead to accommodate parking.

09-006-17-2: Restoration of Purple Loosestrife Sites on Snake River presented by Leigh Dawson.
Project is to treat the purple loosestrife infestations along both sides of the Snake River from
Pittsburg Landing to the confluence of the Salmon River. Submitted the same proposal to the
Northeast Oregon Forests RAC to do the Oregon side of the river. Amount of money requested will
be for the contract for initial chemical spot treatments and boat transportation for monitoring. A
question was asked about if you actually release the biological control agents into the water and
Leigh said yes. It does not harm anything else.

09-059-05-1: Clearwater Forest-Wide Toilet Maintenance presented by Diana Jones. To improve
overall appearance, provide accessibility, and resolve health and safety issues at about 30 toilet sites
across the Forest. Project was submitted under stimulus.

09-060-05-1: Clearwater Forest-wide Toilet Replacement presented by Diana Jones. Replace aging
toilets with ones that are more easily maintained and that provide access for the disabled. There are
around 7 toilets at popular camping and trailhead sites that have reached the end of their usefulness.
Project was submitted under stimulus.

09-058-05-1: Clearwater NF Campground Dust Abatement presented by Diana Jones. Provide dust
abatement on gravel access roads that serve major campgrounds on the Palouse and North Fork
Districts.

09-033-05-3: Bank Stabilization of East Fork Potlatch River presented by Meg Foltz. Stabilize
banks with in-stream rocks and wood structures to protect this anadromous steelhead spawning
stream. This project is thru NEPA.

09-040-05-3: Cherry Dinner U17 Soil Restoration presented by Meg Foltz. Project would de-
compact skid trails and level out mounds from dozer piling to improve forest health.

09-041-05-3: East Fork Big Bear Hardened Crossing presented by Meg Foltz. Bank stabilization for
two cattle access points to water. Install two hardened crossings.

09-043-05-3: Tee Colby Meadow Restoration presented by Meg Foltz. Divert channelized stream
into vegetated sinuous channel and fence riparian plantings in a cooperative effort with Latah Soil
& Water Conservation District and adjacent private landowner. Meg feels that this is the most
important project out of her five presented.

09-039-05-3: West Fork Corral Creek Specifications and Construction presented by Meg Foltz.
Prepare for the first phase of two phase project, to improve steelhead habitat, restore channel and
meadow functions.



                                                                                                       6
09-026-05-1: Clearwater Forest Weeds presented by Suzanne Qualmann. Prevent the introduction
and spread of noxious and invasive weeds in the Clearwater, Upper Clearwater and Palouse
Cooperative Weed Management areas. This project was funded by the RAC in the past and has
many other entities that contribute.

09-057-17-2: Red River Narrows Re-vegetation presented by Dave Mays. Improve in stream fish
habitat and riparian conditions, increase shade and reduce water temperatures, and improve stream
floodplain morphological function in the “Narrows” reach of Red River. A question was asked on
how the plants will stay along banks when flooding takes place every year? Dave said that there is
no guarantee that plants will remain through flooding.

09-004-17-2: Forest Tours for Educators & Opinion Leaders & 09-005-17-2: Idaho Project
Learning Tree. No one was present to speak about these projects. Suzanne Qualmann voiced that
she has attended these two workshops and found that they are very educational for those who
participate. Note that these two projects are asking for FY10 RAC money.

09-056-17-2: Red Pines Fuel Reduction – Rd. Decommissioning presented by Dave Mays.
Decommissioning of unneeded road segments using methods from simple abandonment to
scarifying and ripping the original roadbed in place and on up to full re-contouring, followed by
seeding, planting and weed spraying. This is a multi year project that ties into other project in the
area. Project was submitted under stimulus.

Break

09-013-17-2: Cove Road Phase II BST & Paving presented by Gene Meinen. This is phase two of
the Cove road project. Place a BST and asphalt surface on the road. It could be broken into smaller
segment; feels to do 2 miles would cost $175,000.00. This is a co-op road between county and FS.
This project is the number one priority for Idaho County.

09-053-17-2: Dixie/Orogrande Dust Abatement presented by Gene Meinen. Apply dust abatement
material thru the town of Dixie and for the residence of Orogrande.

09-014-17-2: Upper Salmon River Road Drainage & Crushing presented by Gene Meinen. Re-
establish the ditch line beginning at Vinegar Creek to French Creek intersection. Then place gravel
on roadway to prevent further damage to road bed. This is a heavily used road by recreationalists
and sportsman, and a key economic road for the City of Riggins. Will see more use of this road after
this work is done, but the county will have to do less maintenance after road is improved. This will
also help with spring run-off issues and a longer period of use throughout the year.

09-012-17-2: Warren Wagon Road Safety Widening/Stream Protection presented by Gene Meinen.
First off apologized for the wrong amount requested on the form; they are asking for $50,000.00.
This project is to widen the roadway and lay back side slopes in five locations along the Warren
Wagon Road between Burgdorf and the Secesh River Bridge. Right now is road is very un-safe due
to its narrow, sight limiting corners. This road is on the Payette NF and they support this project and
have been working with the county on this project. The Payette NF is also looking for other funding
sources to aid in this projects effort.



                                                                                                        7
09-027-17-2: Elk City Woody Biomass Cogeneration presented by Joyce Dearstyne. Approval of
this project will take the Elk City Woody Biomass Cogeneration Power Facility through the
structural design and engineering phase level. This plant would be a 500 kw co-generator that could
accept 4 tons of pulp and slash per day to produce electricity. This plant would create jobs and
would make more business opportunities to use the pulp and slash left in the woods. The next step
would be to actually build the plant and Framing Our Community has investigated partners to help
fund that step.

09-054-17-2: Nez Perce NF Motorized Trail Stream Crossings presented by Mike Cook. Install trail
tread pavers on 25 OHV stream crossings on the Clearwater and Salmon River Rd’s. The paving
blocks are permeable that allow vegetation growth for stabilization of stream bed and bank while
reducing soil erosion.

09-008-17-2: Deer Creek Highway Dept Weed Control/Road Maintenance. No one was here for
this project. The RAC has supported this project in the past.

09-044-17-2: Clear Creek Integrated Restoration Data Collection presented by Joe Hudson.
Contract collection of stand exam and stream survey data to assess vegetation and watershed
condition in order to develop a proposed act for Wildland Urban Interface fuels reduction and
watershed restoration.

09-046-17-1: Falls Point/Fog Mtn Survey & Design presented by Joe Hudson. Provide necessary
engineering work to complete a survey and design contract package for implementation. Road is
heavily used. Project was not submitted under stimulus.

09-003-17-2: Indian Hill Road Hazard Tree Slashing presented by Joe Hudson. Cutting and slashing
fire killed hazard trees from above the roadway on the Indian Hill road. These trees are a safety
hazard for anyone using this road. This road is used by local residents, Outfitter & Guides and
provides access to a trailhead into the SBW. There is an opportunity to use the Montana
Conservation Corp for this project.

09-009-17-2: Indian Hill Road Maintenance presented by Joe Hudson. Two part project consisting
of; first survey and design to evaluate and develop a maintenance plan to address deteriorating road
conditions; then secondly implementation of the design work through road reconstruction to
stabilize the road cut, fill slopes and improve drainage conditions. If the RAC cannot fully fund this
project, the Forest will find the money to finish.

VI. Public Forum:
-Idaho County Commissioner Jim Rehder expressed that Idaho County and Clearwater County are
happy to allocate Title II with 14% of the money they receive from the State to fund the work done
by this Committee.

2009 RAC Project Presentations continued…..
09-011-17-2: Payette Bighorn Sheep Monitoring Plan presented by Keith Lawrence. Goal is to
monitor bighorn sheep presence across the Payette Forest with particular emphasis on areas within
and in close proximity to domestic sheep operations and to monitor implementation of 2009 Annual
Operating Instructions for domestic sheep operations on the Payette NF. Keith explained the
background information of this project. Out of a settlement on a lawsuit, the Payette would like to
                                                                                                     8
fund/hire some seasonal workers to monitor for bighorn sheep presence in and around domestic
sheep allotments. Keith noted the letters of support for this project.

09-010-17-2: Salmon River Bighorn Sheep Study presented by Keith Lawrence. The goal of this
management oriented project is to better understand bighorn sheep populations within the Salmon
River corridor to provide Federal and State agencies with needed information to better manage and
address domestic and bighorn sheep conflicts and restore depleted bighorn sheep populations. This
project will rely on using the data gathered from radio collared bighorn sheep to track movement
patterns and the bighorn sheep’s interaction with domestic sheep. Again this project is supported by
a number of people as indicated by the letters attached to project proposal.

09-023-17-2: Grazing Allotment Riparian Data Collection presented by Lynn Burton. Collect
riparian data on 60 key stream reaches, representing 24 grazing allotments. This data then would
serve as the basis for allotment management planning. This project can be put off until the FY10
funding.

09-007-17-2: Goose Lake Area Restoration Projects presented by Cliff Steel. Over several years
this project would construction fences to manage cattle grazing; and perform heavy trail
maintenance, including hardening of stream crossings and complete trail maintenance for the Goose
Lake Trailhead.

09-024-17-2: Allotment Fence/Water Development Support presented by Lynn Burton. Grazing
permittees have requested contract assistance with heavy maintenance or replacement of critical
fences and water developments that are no longer functioning. Poe Cabin Fire burned 25 miles of
fence that has not been replaced. The permittees are unable to finance this work and the FS range
funds can not finance all that needs to be completed. The permittees understand that they would be
responsible for maintenance after improvements are made.

09-022-17-2: Bentz Ridge Goat Grazing presented by Lynn Burton & Carl Crabtree. Expand an
already existing goat grazing program for another 4 years. This is a large landscape study of goat
grazing by the U of Idaho, no where else in the US has this sort of information been documented.
The goats graze on 1000 to 1500 acres yearly. Removing 95% of the seed heads each year has
shown significant effect thus far.

09-021-17-2: Bentz Ridge Seeding & Monitoring presented by Lynn Burton. This project works in
conjunction with the goat grazing by completing a demonstration area, by seeding and mulching 2
acres of previously goat grazed land. The goat grazing study showed to be effective at reducing
yellowstar thistle by some 25% each year. Having depleted the noxious weed seed reserves, this is
an excellent time to supplement the area with desirable perennial native plant seeds in an effort to
break the exotic annual plant competitive cycle.

09-025-17-2: Boundary Fence Installation presented by Lynn Burton. Assist grazing allotment
permittees with the installation of 1 mile of fence between the Peter Ready and Whitebird Grazing
allotments. Lynn stated that the FS does not have complete cooperation from the grazing permittees.
This project is not ready to be implemented yet.

09-016-17-2: Cold Springs Fence Replacement presented by Lynn Burton. Replace 3 miles of fence
burnt in the Poe Cabin fire and cleanout two cattle guards.
                                                                                                       9
09-019-17-2: Expand the Bio-Control Program presented by Lynn Burton. Augment and expand the
current County wide Bio-control program with partners that include Idaho County, Nez Perce Tribe,
University of Idaho and the Nez Perce Forest. Around 1000 bio-control releases have occurred over
the last several decades. There is no documentation of the effect. This will expand the current
program and establish monitoring protocols, so data can be shared to document effectiveness.

09-020-17-2: Noxious Weed Inventory presented by Lynn Burton. This project is designed to
contractually collect some 40,000 acres of weed inventory data each year. This inventory data will
add significant value to identifying the true treatment priority. The Nez Perce Tribe is in favor of
this project. This project can be approved in smaller acreage or money amounts.

09-017-17-2: Road Corridor & Private Interface Weed Treatment presented by Carl Crabtree. This
is the continuation of past RAC funded project that provides invasive weed treatment along travel
corridors that access Forest to Private to County land or vice versa. Funding request is for FY10 to
last until FY12. This is part of a larger project that is supported by other funding sources to also
educate landowners, inventory noxious weeds, monitor treatment areas and restore native plant
species. Several RAC members voiced their support of this project.

09-018-17-2: Wilderness Area Airstrip & Private Interface Weed Treatment presented by Lynn
Burton. Project supports inventory and treatment of invasive weeds at backcountry airstrips within
the Selway and Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness. Work land owners on 12 private
airstrips and 2 FS airstrips. Also promote invasive weed awareness and education among the pilots
that use these airstrips.

Break

09-051-17-2: Nez Perce Forest wide Trail Brushing & Drainage presented by Mike Cook. Establish
required trail clearing limits and replace existing or install new drainage structures on both
motorized and non-motorized trails. This project can be funded by mile increments or amount of
money awarded. This work would occur on all four Ranger Districts, but Salmon River is in need of
it the most. This project was not submitted under stimulus. RAC members voiced support for this
project.

09-029-17-2: Nez Perce NF Pre-Commercial Thinning presented by Scott Godfrey. The goal is to
reduce the density of trees in stands with an objective of increasing the growth and vigor of the
dominant trees. Have a backlog of thinning due to decreased budgets. This project is to thin 700
acres at an estimated $200 an acre in the Wildland Urban Interface areas of the Forest. A lop and
scatter contract is expected to be awarded. This project can be funded by acres or amount of money.
Thinning is done to promote growth in the larger trees to produce a healthier and resilience stand of
trees. Question was asked is thinning done in a stand because it may be an area that will be logged
later? Yes it could be a future logging area. The Forest has a backlog of thinning areas and if the
thinning doesn’t take place, we never know the potential a stand of trees might have to produce a
commercial value product. RAC members commented that this work needs to be performed to keep
the Forest healthy.

09-001-17-2: American River Stewardship presented by Scott Godfrey. Complete the remaining
optional 5.13 miles of road decommissioning work that the stumpage receipts of the stewardship
                                                                                                   10
contract could not pay for. An awarded contract to do this work already exists. This project could be
broken down into smaller mileage, but the remainder would not be complete.

09-061-17-2: Upper Red River Electrification Project presented by Robert Blake. Last minute
project added to RAC’s list. Copies of the proposal will need to be mailed out to RAC members.
This project is to extend underground electrical service line approximately 10 miles from Red River
Ranger Station to Red River Hot Springs. This project would supply electricity to Red River
Campground, improve water quality by reducing diesel storage and provide cleaner energy to the
business and residential community. Several private land owners have declared their intent to
provide an extension form the main line, if established, to purchase transformers and install meters
to their homes at their own expense. Avista quoted $22,000 per mile. This project really shouldn’t
be segmented.

VII. Wrap-up and Adjournment:
- Next meeting will be in Riggins at the Best Western Salmon Rapids Lodge conference room
beginning at 10:00 am pacific time. RAC members need to come to the meeting prepared to break
into their interest groups and present their top 10 recommended project for approval.
- Laura and Tom will share the Forests stimulus project approval lists when they become available.

Adjourned at 4:15 pm




                                                                                                  11

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:6
posted:10/24/2012
language:English
pages:11