Arthur D. Chapman
Arthur Chapman was the Scientific Coordinator of Biogeographic Information at
ERIN in the 1990s. Prior to that, he worked for the Australian Biological Resources
Study as a Botanist and Bibliographer. He has extensive experience in systematic botany
and bibliography, serving on several International committees dealing with Botanical
Nomenclature and Data Standards.
Arthur has published over 180 papers on a range of biological topics. His major
publication is the four-volume Australian Plant Name Index which details bibliographic
information on the more than 60,000 names that have been applied to Australian
plants. In 2004, Arthur wrote and GBIF published a series of manuals on issues of
species-occurrence data and data integration. These manuals are a must-read for the data
providers who wish to contribute to the global biodiversity communities. Since then,
Arthur has conducted several workshops worldwide for interested parties. He now works
full-time as a consultant in Australia and actively participates in many conferences
sponsored by biodiversity-related organizations such as GBIF and TDWG.
Some of his more important publications are detailed below:
• "Proposals on valid publication and the report of the Special Committee on Valid
Publication". Taxon 35: 756-779 (1986)
• "Proposals to expedite nomenclature". Taxon 35: 823 [with R.J. Hnatiuk] (1986)
• "Domin and Danes in Java and Australia 1909-1910". in P.S.Short (ed.) History of
Systematic Botany in Austalasia Proceedings of a symposium held at the University of
Melbourne, 25-27 May 1988 pp. 159-163 (1990)
• "Australian Plant Name Index A-C". Australian Flora and Fauna Series No. 12.
Canberra: AGPS. i-xxii, 1-898 (1991)
• "Australian Plant Name Index D-J". Australian Flora and Fauna Series No. 13.
Canberra: AGPS. i-xi, 899-1710 (1991)
• "Australian Plant Name Index K-P". Australian Flora and Fauna Series No. 14.
Canberra: AGPS. i-xi, 1711-2476 (1991)
• "Australian Plant Name Index Q-Z". Australian Flora and Fauna Series No. 15.
Canberra: AGPS. i-xi, 2477-3056 (1991)
• "Quality control and validation of point-sourced environmental resource data" pp.409-
418 in Lowell, K. and Jaton, A. (eds). Spatial Accuracy Assessment: Land Information
Uncertainty in Natural Resources. Chelsea, Michigan: Ann Arbor Press. (1999)
• "Gathering Data - Creating Information". The importance of data accuracy and data-
sharing" in L.Giddings (ed.) Memorias del Simposio. Manejo de Datos de Diversidad
Biologica y de Conservacion pp. 13-18. Xalapa: Instituto de Ecologia (1993)
• "Linking Plant Species Information to Climate Modelling for Continental Biodiversity
Inventory and Monitoring" in R.I.Miller (ed.) Mapping the Diversity of Nature London:
Chapman and Hall [with J.R.Busby] (in press: 1994)
• "Principles of Data Quality". Report for the Global Biodiversity Information Facility
2005. 61pp. Copenhagen: GBIF. (2005)
• "Principles and Methods of Data Cleaning". Report for the Global Biodiversity
Information Facility 2005. 75pp. (2005) Copenhagen: GBIF.
• "Uses of Primary Species-Occurrence Data". Report for the Global Biodiversity
Information Facility 2005. 111pp. (2005) Copenhagen: GBIF.
• "Guide to Best Practices for Georeferencing". BioGeomancer Consortium.
Copenhagen: Global Biodiversity Information Facility. 90pp. ISBN: 87-92020-00-3 (with
J. Wieczorek 2006). http://www.gbif.org/prog/digit/Georeferencing
• "Numbers of living species in Australia and the World". 61pp. Canberra: Australian
Biological Resources Study. ISBN (printed): 978 0 642 56849 6l ISBN (online): 978 0
642 56850 2 (2006) http://www.deh.gov.au/biodiversity/abrs/publications/other/species-