All of the questions in this portion of the lab practical will use the data from the Price lab manual. You
should have received a relatively clean copy of these data when I transferred the practical onto your
computer. If there is census information available from 1990 and 2000, use the most recent data.
When you’ve completed the first question (which uses ArcCatalog), open the lab_practical layout in the
MapDocuments folder. This map should have everything you need to complete the practical, except for
any user-created shapefiles you will be asked to make. You will be told which of the three data frames to
use for each set of questions.
To answer the questions, place your cursor beneath each question and type your answers/paste your
screenshots. Whenever an individual question has multiple parts, I have divided the question into the
appropriate answer sections. Please place your answers accordingly. Be sure to read all questions
carefully, and to answer all parts of the question.
When you turn your practical in, please convert it to a .pdf. Failure to convert to a .pdf will result in five
points being deducted from your final practical grade. You will be turning your practical in through the
drop-box in BlackBoard under the Lab tab. There are no multiple submissions for this assessment, so
please make sure you have everything complete the first time.
Things you may not do:
1. Do NOT use your lab manual.
2. Do NOT use Google or any other search engine.
3. Do NOT speak to your neighbor – about anything.
4. Do NOT get up to ask me questions (raise your hand and stay in your seat).
5. Do NOT ask me to tell you how to accomplish something -- this is a lab practical, designed to
test your understanding and knowledge of the software.
1. Using ArcCatalog, fill in the following information about the files in the Sturgis geodatabase in
the BlackHills folder:
Number of Point files: 1
Number of Line files: 2
Number of Polygon files: 7
Geodatabase Geographic Coordinate System: GCS_NorthAmerican_1927
Is the Geodatabase projected: yes
Geodatabase Projected Coordinate System: NAD_1927_UTM_Zone_13N
Use the USA data frame in ArcMap to complete the following questions:
2. Create a choropleth map (each name is its own color) showing the continental 48 states.
Capture your map:
3. Create a map showing the year 2000 population density of all counties in the continental 48
states. Create a map layout with the following elements:
A text box containing your name
A North arrow
A scale bar
Keep in mind that I will be assigning points based on not only these elements being present, but
also on their proper formatting as discussed in the lab manual and in lab lecture. When you are
done, capture your map:
4. How many counties in the United States are named Franklin? 25
What is their total 2000 population? 1905232
Which one has the largest area? The one with an area of ~1750 in: what state is it in? Maine
Which subregion has the largest number of Jefferson counties? (Remember, the subregion
information is in the States attribute table). Central (E N, E S, W N, W S)
How many cities fall within these counties?
Number of Jefferson Counties: 26
Total 2000 population: 3440910
Largest area: In Oregon, about 1800
Subregion with most counties: Central (E N, E S, W N, W S)
Number of cities:
5. How many counties in the United States have more Hispanics than African Americans, a
population density under 10 people per square mile, and a population between 20,000 and
25,000? Name them (Hint: there should be fewer than 10).
Use the Rapid City data frame in ArcMap to complete the following questions:
6. What is the name of the watershed in Rapid City that contains the most schools? How many
schools does it have?
Watershed name: South Canyon, Downtown (tie)
Number of schools: both appear to have 4
7. What school is the farthest away from a restaurant? What is the distance in meters?
School name: Pleasant Hill
Distance (meters): ~13,952 from the nearest restaurant, Outback Steakhouse, 665 E
8. What is the area in square kilometers of the Park/Forest land inside of the Spearfish Formation?
Area = 6490720.625 in square meters; area in square kilometers = 6490720.625 / 1000 ~ 6491
Capture your map.
9. What is the length of roads (in kilometers) within the Arrowhead watershed region?
35814.853279 in Meters; 35.814853279 in Kilometers
Use the Sturgis Bay data frame in ArcMap to complete the following questions:
10. Create a hillshade map of the Sturgis area. Capture your map.
11. What is the furthest you can be from a summit? ~29918 meters
12. Create a new shapefile named “riverln”. Using the TM_24Sep98_utm.bil aerial photograph,
digitize a minimum of three riverbeds. The riverbeds display as white lines in this aerial photo.
Make sure that I can see the new shapefile in your table of contents and that the rivers are
clearly visible on top of the aerial photograph and capture your map.