What do they look like?
How big do they get?
– Height: 13 feet (2 men)
– Weight: 16,500 pounds
(4 large cars)
– Babies weigh 265
pounds (6 Gisselles)
• Asian / Indian
– A little smaller
What do they eat?
• They are vegetarians (they don’t eat meat)
• They eat
– Shrubs (bushes)
– Tree leaves, roots, bark, and branches
– Water plants
– They also like to eat bamboo, berries, coconuts, corn,
dates, plums, sugar cane, and PEANUTS
How much do they eat and drink?
• They eat up to 650 pounds a day
• They drink about 200 liters of water a day
(100 bottles of soda)
Do they work?
• Asian Elephants are intelligent (smart)
• They are used by Asian people to knock
down trees and carry them out of the
Are they an endangered species?
• There are only about 600,000 African and
40,000 Asian Elephants
• People kill elephants so they can use their tusks
(2 long front teeth made of ivory) to make
– Piano keys
• 1979 to 1989 about 700,000 elephants were
killed (over half of the population)
What can we do to help them
Don’t buy things made out of IVORY