World History Midterm Study Guide
The test is composed of 50 multiple choice questions. They include maps, charts and short reading
passages. Use these topics and questions to help you prepare.
1. What can we learn about early humans based on their use of fire?
2. What were some of the major changes for ancient people brought on by the Neolithic and
3. Describe the Neolithic Revolution.
4. Explain by early civilizations developed in river valleys.
5. Identify consequences of the Neolithic Revolution.
6. Identify major characteristics of early civilizations.
7. Define theocracy.
8. Which civilization is created with creating cuneiform?
9. Describe achievements of Code of Hammurabi.
10. Be able to read and answer questions from a map.
11. Be able to identify common characteristics of early civilizations.
12. Be able to identify characteristics of early written laws.
13. Describe rule under Pharaoh.
14. Explain the importance of the Nile River in Egypt.
15. Describe the importance of the Silk Road.
16. Identify monotheistic faiths.
17. Be able to compare and contrast Hinduism and Buddhism.
18. Identify levels of Indian society.
19. What were the Iliad and the Odyssey?
20. Explain how Greek culture was able to spread during the Hellenistic Period.
21. Describe different forms of government that grew during Greek and Roman times.
22. What was the political system in Athens during the Age of Pericles?
23. Why was Julius Caesar able to overthrow the Roman Republic?
24. How did Constantine’s rule affect Christianity in Rome?
25. What was the earliest form of Christian writings?
26. What changes were introduced by Diocletian?
27. According to the Quran what is the definition of jihad?
28. What were the lasting effects of the Crusades on Southwest Asia?
29. Identify contributions of the Byzantine Empire on western civilizations.
30. Be able to identify the Five Pillars of Islam.
31. What is the largest desert on Earth?
32. Why was Islam slow to spread in East Africa?
33. What was the code of ethics for a knight?
34. Describe the difference between a peasant and a serf.
35. What was the relationship between a lord and a vassal in the feudal system?
36. What were the major results of the Black Death?
37. What were the major beliefs during the Italian Renaissance?
38. Why is Machiavelli’s The Prince important?
39. Describe humanism during the Renaissance.
40. What was the chief teaching of the Protestant Reformation?
41. What were the major reasons for Martin Luther’s religious reforms?
42. What/whom forced Charles V to accept the division of Christianity in Germany?