Chapter 7 Test Review
1. What is an ionic bond?
Chemical bond resulting from the transfer of
electrons from one atom to another.
2. (Metals, nonmetals) tend to form positive ions
and (metals, nonmetals) tend to form negative
3. Identify the metal and the nonmetal in the
compound sodium chloride (NaCl).
4. What are positively charged ions called?
5. What are negatively charged ions called?
6. Write the empirical formula for the
following ionic compounds:
a. Al+3 and S-2: ___________________
b. Na+1 and F-1: ___________________
c. Na+1 and OH-1: _________________
d. NH4+1 and CO3-2 : _______________
7. Write the correct formula for each of the
a. potassium iodide: ____________________
b. zinc chloride: ________________________
c. silver oxide: _________________________
d. sodium phosphide: ___________________
8. Write the names for each of the following
a. LiI: _____________________________
b. AgI: ____________________________
c. NaN: ___________________________
d. MgO: ___________________________
9. Write the molecular compounds using the
prefix as the element’s subscript.
a. diphosphorus pentaoxide: ____________
b. diarsenic trioxide: ___________________
c. dinitrogen monoxide: ________________
d. carbon dioxide: ____________________
10. Write the names for each of the following molecular
substances using prefixes.
a. SiO2: _______________________
b. SF3 : _______________________
11. Draw Lewis Dot Diagrams for the
a. Nitrogen N
b. Fluorine F
12. Match the following Lewis Dash Structures
to the type of bond it represents.
a. N N 1. double bond
b. O–C-O 2. single bond
c. 3. triple bond
H C H
13. Answer the following questions about
magnesium hydroxide: Mg(OH)2.
a. Name the elements in the compound.
b. How many total number of atoms are in the formula?
c. Name the cation in the formula above.
d. Is hydroxide (OH-1) a monatomic or polyatomic ion? How do
e. Is magnesium hydroxide formed from an ionic bond, covalent
bond, or both? How do you know?