Try the all-new QuickBooks Online for FREE.  No credit card required.

Extending your Student Visa in the UK University of Oxford

Document Sample
Extending your Student Visa in the UK University of Oxford Powered By Docstoc

                  Sue Castle-Miller and Jo Aldhouse
                   Visa and Immigration Advisers

         Student Information and Advisory Service
                   Examination Schools


September/October 2011
       Immigration and Visa Advice

       • Visit our website

       • Email us with your visa questions

       • Come to our presentations

       • Use our ‘batch scheme’ for student applications

       • Meet to discuss completed application forms

September/October 2011
       Immigration and Visa Advice

       • Information and advice on:
            student visas (here and home country)
            visa conditions and responsibilities
            problems with your visa
            working during your studies
            family student dependant visas
            student visitor visas
            non-student visas travelling/returning to
             the UK
            finding an immigration lawyer

       • Today: a quick look at some visa points you
         need to check or know right from the start
September/October 2011
       If you still have a student visa issued for
       a course at a different university:
       • Visa applied for before 31 March 2009 (pre Tier
         4): OK to enrol and start; apply for extension
         before expiry date

       • Tier 4 visa applied for before 5 October 2009:
         apply now for a new Tier 4 visa or for “Permission
         to Switch”. OK to enrol and start course before
         decision on either application

       • Tier 4 visa applied for on or after 5 October
         2009: apply now for a new Tier 4 visa. OK to enrol
         and start course before decision on application

       Collect handout: Changing Education Provider from
                  our stand; email us if you need help
September/October 2011
       Check your visa expiry date
       • Check you have been given the correct amount
         of time:

        course length over six months but less than 12
                 visa expiry date should be course end date (as stated
                 on CAS) + 2 months
        course length 12 months or longer
                 visa expiry date should be course end date (as stated
                 on CAS) + 4 months
                 could be shorter if you have certain types of financial

       • If you haven’t been given enough time, email
September/October 2011
       • This is the University’s Tier 4 Sponsor Number

       • If you applied for your visa before you
         travelled, with a CAS from the University, this
         number should be on your visa

       • If you have a Biometric Residence Permit
         (because you applied for your Tier 4 visa in the
         UK) your BRP should have either this number
         or your CAS number

       • If it is incorrect or missing, please email us

September/October 2011
       Registration with the Police
                         • Some nationals need to register with
                         the police (will be written on your visa in
                         your passport or BRP card)
                         • Register within seven days at police
                         station in St Aldates (near main post
                         office in Oxford, near Christ Church);
                         take with you:
                          - the form (available from our stand)
                          - one passport photo
                          - enrolment certificate (print out from
                            Student Self Service)
                          - £34 fee(exact amount in cash)
                         • Report to police if you extend your
                         visa, change address, name etc. to get
                         certificate updated (free of charge)
                         • Do not ignore this legal requirement!
September/October 2011
       Why is my college asking for my
       passport/Biometric Residence
       Permit/visa to scan?
       • The University, as a Tier 4 Licensed Sponsor,
         has a duty to keep a record of the passport
         and visa/Biometric Residence Permit of all Tier
         4 students. For most students, colleges carry
         out this duty.
       • Please take your passport containing your visa
         (and BRP if applicable) to college when you
         enrol, and again if you renew your passport or
         get a new visa
       • Please keep your details up to date on Student
         Self Service

September/October 2011
       The University’s reporting duties

       If you have a Tier 4 student visa, the University
       must tell UKBA if you:

       •   Do not enrol
       •   Suspend, withdraw from or defer your studies
       •   Leave your course early
       •   Are no longer sponsored by the University
       •   Breach your immigration conditions
       •   Are absent for a long time and the University
           does not know why

                         Communicate with your
                         Department and College!
September/October 2011
      Take care to keep to the conditions
                  of your visa
     • Study at the institution which gave you the CAS
       for your visa
     • Know your visa expiry date and do not let
       yourself become an ‘overstayer’. You will not get
       a reminder. Nobody is entitled to remain beyond
       their visa expiry date
     • Keep to work restrictions
     • Register with the police if required

     Consequences of breach of conditions:
     • criminal offence, possible removal, Entry
       Clearance bar
     • Difficulties getting new visa
September/October 2011
       Further information on Tier 4 duties and

           In your Welcome Pack, you will find a
           sheet called


           Please do read it!

September/October 2011
        Extending your Student Visa in the UK

         Full information about process, including links to
         current application form and notes about the
         supporting documents visit:


         By post
         Student “Batch” scheme:

         •operated by the UK Border Agency
         •we post your application for you
         •quicker and safer than posting yourself
         •must make an appointment with us via email

September/October 2011
       Extending your Student Visa in the UK

           In person (but more expensive!)
           At a UKBA Public Enquiry Office

           •make an appointment through UKBA

           •passport returned same day

           •BRP card usually issued within in several days

           VISA EXPIRES

September/October 2011
       Working During Studies

    • 20 hours a week while you are studying

    • Full time when you are on holiday
      Note DPhil students must only work full time
      during designated breaks as authorised by

    • All students can work for 4 months upon
      completion of ALL studies with a valid student

    • You cannot work full time during any period
      when you should be studying (including research
      and writing up)

September/October 2011
       Working During Studies

       • Permission to work also        includes   work
         placements (with conditions)

       • Self-employment, engaging in business or
         filling a permanent full time vacancy is not

       • National Insurance Number – see pamphlet
         “Oxford Essentials” page 10 under “Work”

       • All UK employment legislation applies and you
         must pay UK tax : threshold currently £7,475
         pa (2011/12)

September/October 2011
       Family members

       • Spouse, unmarried partner, civil partner,
         children under

       • Allowed to join you during your studies
         as your ‘dependants’ as long you are a
         graduate student on a course lasting
         longer than 12 months

       • No work restriction if student visa is valid for
         longer than 12 months

       • No provision for children over 18(although can
         remain at 18 and extend if already in UK as a
September/October 2011
       Visas to stay in the UK to work

       • Information about existing employment visas
         and new schemes available on website

       • We can advise on current schemes and look at

       • Workshops - advertised on website

       • Tier 2 visas obtained by employer –we can give
         general information

September/October 2011
     Important to check

                   Visa is for study at Oxford
             (check Tier 4 sponsor licence number)

                         Date your visa expires

                             Length of visa

                            Work conditions

       Whether you need to register with the Police

September/October 2011
    To do list

    Take a copy/scan your visa and passport identity page

    Register with the police (if required to do so)

    Be aware of your responsibilities

    Keep your College/Department informed

    Read all the information currently available and keep up to
       date by visiting websites regularly

    Make a note 2 months before visa expires and start
       extension process if necessary

    Attend presentations and workshops

September/October 2011
                    Immigration and Visa Advice

                For further information contact:

         Student Information and Advisory Service


September/October 2011

Shared By: