STUDY GUIDE FOR
BBC’s LIFE ON EARTH
narrated by David Attenborough
DVD Chapters 1 - 3
1. Which habitat boasts the greatest diversity of life on earth? Give at least one
example of that diversity.
2. What was the most widely held theory of creation at the time of Darwin's voyage?
3. Charles Darwin traveled to many parts of the world during his voyage on the Beagle.
What group of islands had the greatest influence on his theory of evolution?
4. Give examples of species found only on those islands and describe the unusual
characteristics that distinguish these species from similar species on the mainland.
5. After observing the diversity of life and the fossil evidence as he traveled, what theory
of the origin of species did Darwin adopt?
6. What is meant by the term "natural selection"?
7. Name three chemicals common in the atmosphere when the earth first formed?
8. Which chemical found in the atmosphere today was not present when the Earth first
9. When did single-celled organisms first appear on earth?
10. Name some single-celled organisms.
11. What advantage do colonies of cells have over single cells?
12. Name several organisms that live in colonies.
13. How long ago did sexual reproduction first appear on earth as part of the life
14. Your text recognizes nineteen Phyla or major groups of animals. Name several of
15. How long ago did animals first leave the sea and begin to inhabit land? Which
animals were the first to do so?
16. List at least four problems encountered by animals and plants on land that were not a
factor during life in the water.
17. What group of animals were the first to fly?
18. What were the first plant eggs to be fertilized without the assistance of water?
19. What was the first group of plants to develop seeds?
20. What advantage do seeds have over the more primitive forms of zygotes (fertilized
21. Approximately what percentage of today's forests are conifers?
22. What is the largest living organism in the world today?
23. What were the most recent types of plants to develop on earth?