Final Exam Study Guide
The final will consist of 10 questions from this list, you will have to answer 8 of those questions
1. All organizations make use of bureaucratic control methods in their dealings with the employees
of the organization. This type of control system can, however, create problems for the
subordinates. Discuss these types of problems and explain what an organization's managers can
do to reduce these types of problems within the organization.
2. Communication can have positive and negative effects on an organization. Discuss the dangers
of ineffective communication to the organization.
3. Compare and contrast "transformational leadership" with "transactional leadership." Which one
of these theories makes more sense to you? Defend your answer.
4. Contrast training and development. Give an example of how classroom instruction would vary
for each of these.
5. Define "negotiation." Discuss the two major types of negotiation that managers can use within
organizations in an attempt to resolve conflict.
6. Define organizational culture, including what it is composed of. Where does it come from?
7. Direct supervision is one of the best ways for managers to monitor the behavior of
subordinates. However, this method of behavior control can create problems with subordinates.
Discuss the problems that can occur and explain what a manager can do to minimize these
problems when working with subordinates.
8. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of "centralization" and "decentralization" in terms of
9. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of grouping functions into "divisions" that focus their
efforts on the production and marketing of specific product lines.
10. Discuss the elements of group dynamics and illustrate how their dynamics affect the
performance of the group.
11. Discuss the four types of communication networks that managers can use within organizations.
12. Discuss the meaning of "organizational politics." Then, describe two political strategies that
managers can use and give a specific business example of each of these strategies.
13. Discuss the pros and cons of using punishment. If managers use punishment, how should they
minimize the negative side effects?
14. Discuss the six types of computer-based MIS systems. Discuss how they fall along the range of
programmed to non-programmed decision making. For each, give an example of a possible use
in a business organization.
15. Discuss the three situational determinants in Fiedler's leadership theory that allow a leader to
determine the favorableness or unfavorableness of a situation for leading. Give a specific
example of how each of these determinants would work in a specific business situation of your
16. Discuss two important ways in which performance appraisal and feedback contribute to the
effective management of human resources within an organization.
17. Distinguish between "data" and "information". Give a specific business example of each.
18. Do men and women differ in their personal leadership styles? If so, explain why this might be
19. Explain equity theory. What does equity theory suggest people do when they feel they are not
being treated fairly?
20. Managers use the Internet for a variety of communication purposes. Discuss these various
purposes and their advantages and disadvantages.
21. Social loafing can be a very detrimental practice to the effectiveness of an organization. Explain
what is meant by this concept and discuss three specific steps that managers can take to reduce
or to eliminate this undesirable work behavior.
22. Specific, difficult goals have been found to increase both motivation and performance in some
types of work situations, but they have also been found to decrease both motivation and
performance in some other types of work situations. Discuss both of these possibilities, and
explain the factors that are likely to produce each of these two results.
23. What is a virtual team? What are the advantages and disadvantages of virtual teams?
24. Why are high-performing organizations experienced at constantly changing?