REPUBLIC OF BOTSWANA
MINISTRY OF WORKS AND TRANSPORT
PUBLIC AUCTION SALE OF
GOVERNMENT BOARDED VEHICLES IN GABORONE, LOBATSE,
TSABONG, MAUN AUTO, MAUN PLANT, KASANE, FRANCISTOWN
AUTO, SELEBI-PHIKWE, SEROWE, GANTSI AND MAHALAPYE
REFERENCE NO. WT/MTC/CTO/DISP/07/2009-2010
Date: June 2009
NAME AND ADDRESS DETAILS OF PROCURING DEPARTMENT AND ITS
AGENT PREPARING THE DOCUMENTS
PROCURING DEPARTMENT AGENT
CENTRAL TRANSPORT ORGANISATION R. RAMATU/
PRIVATE BAG X048 O.TSHOLOFELO/V.NDJARAKANA
GABORONE TEL : 3956391/3626176/3626222
FAX : 3953128/3906404
REPUBLIC OF BOTSWANA
MINISTRY OF WORKS ND TRANSPORT CONDITIONS OF AUCTION
CENTRAL TRANSPORT ORGANISATION
The Central Transport Organisation (CTO) falls under the auspices of Ministry of
Works and Transport and is responsible for planning, acquisition, allocation,
management, maintenance, repair and disposal of Government boarded vehicles and
mobile plant. CTO has in its inventory several vehicles and plant located throughout
its premises in the country that have been earmarked for disposal.
The details regarding the vehicles to be sold are listed as per Annexure A and the
vehicles are located at the respective CTO Stations of Gaborone, Lobatse, Tsabong,
Maun Auto, Francistown Auto, Maun Plant, Serowe, Kasane, Selebi-Phikwe, Gantsi
Dates of Auction Sales by Location Contact No Dates
1. Tsabong 6540089 1st June 2009
2. Gantsi 6596221 2nd June 2009
3. Gaborone 3626176/3626220/2 3rd June 2009
4. Mahalapye 4712761 4th June 2009
5. Maun (Auto & Plant) 6861221/6860449 8th June 2009
6. Kasane 6251446 10th June 2009
7. Francistown Auto 2410987 11th June 2009
8. Serowe 4633687 15th June 2009
9. Selebi-Phikwe 2615972 16th June 2009
10. Lobatse 5332155 17th June 2009
Collection of deposits in all stations will be started three working days before the day
of sale from 8.00 am to 4.00 pm. ON THE DAY OF SALE, THERE WILL BE NO
COLLECTION OF DEPOSITS IN ALL STATIONS. Viewing of vehicles will be
done three (3) working days before the sale. The actual sale will start at 9:00 am in all
stations without exception.
Terms and Conditions of Auction
A bid made for the boarded assets as listed in Annexure A shall be deemed to be in
accordance with the following conditions of sale:
1. The list of vehicles can be collected from Department of Central Transport
Organisation Allocations, Office No. 6 and 9 at C. T. O. Village (Gaborone) and
from the Transport Pool Officers of respective CTO Stations in Lobatse, Tsabong,
Gantsi, Maun Auto, Francistown Auto, Francistown Plant, Serowe, Kasane,
Mahalapye and Selebi-Phikwe. Vehicle lists may be collected during workings
hours between 8:00am and 16:00 pm on weekdays starting on the 25th May 2009.
Enquiries/Queries relating to the issue of these lists may be addressed to the
General Manager, CTO, Private Bag X048, Gaborone Contact: Mr. R. Ramatu, Mr.
V. Ndjarakana or Mrs. O. Tsholofelo Tel No. 3956391/3626176/3626220/2, Fax No.
2. VEHICLES WILL BE SOLD TO CITIZENS OF BOTSWANA AND WHOLLY
CITIZEN OWNED COMPANIES ONLY.
3. EACH CITIZEN WILL BE ALLOWED TO PURCHASE A MAXIMUM OF TWO
AUCTION VEHICLES AT A TIME (PER AUCTION SALE PER CIRCLE )
4. TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP FROM CITIZEN TO NON CITIZEN WILL BE
DONE AFETR 24 MONTHS FROM THE DATE OF PURCHASE.
5. ONCE BIDDERS HAVE PURCHASED A VEHICLE FROM ONE CTO SITE,
THEY MAY NOT GO TO ANOTHER AUCTION SITE (TOWN) TO DO ANY
6. NON PROFIT ORGANISATIONS (NGO) WILL NO LONGER PARTICIPATE
IN FUTURE AUCTION SALES BUT INSTEAD WILL WRITE TO THE
GENERAL MANAGER CTO TO REQUEST FOR NOT MORE THAN TWO
VEHICLES, AND MAKE A SEALED OFFER. THE SAME ORGANISATIONS
WILL ONLY BE CONSIDERED AFTER 24 MONTHS AFTER SELLING THE
7. THERE WILL BE NO COLLECTION OF DEPOSITS AND VIEWING OF
VEHICLES ON THE DAY OF SALE IN ALL STATIONS.
8. VEHICLES IN GABORONE ONLY WILL BE SOLD THROUGH A SEATED
CATOLOGUE AUCTION METHOD. THIS MEANS DURING THE AUCTION
, BUYERS WILL BE SEATED IN ONE AREA AS OPPOSED TO GOING FROM
ONE VEHICLE TO THE NEXT AND WILL BE EXPECTED TO BID BY
LOOKING AT THE LIST OR CATALOGUE OF VEHICLES BEING SOLD.
9. Bidders are required to tender a deposit of P 2000.00 (Two Thousand
Pula) in the form of a bank guaranteed cheque/cash to be eligible to
bid for each vehicle/item.
10. Payment by successful bidders should be made by bank guaranteed
cheques within three (3) days of the sale. Any successful bidder who
fails to make payment within the stipulated time will lose the deposit
paid, to the Government and those items not paid for will be re-
auctioned at a later date to be decided by the Government.
11. Cheques must be made payable to Botswana Government.
12. Payment should be made by bank guaranteed/certified cheques for
the full amount.
13. Central Transport Organisation will not issue change for cheque
amounts exceeding the bid price.
14. Items will be sold in Lot Numbers to the highest bidder.
15. The Government reserves the right to reject any bid whether or not the highest.
16. Bidders can view the vehicles at the respective C. T. O. Stations three (3) working
days before the auction sale date between 08:00 hrs – 16:00 hrs.
17. Collection of deposits will start three (3) working days before the sale from 08:00hrs
18. All prospective bidders will be required to produce National Identity Cards
(Omang) or company registration certificates, together with Declaration Form for
100% citizen owned companies. Company representatives should produce the said
items during registration and certified copies of National Identity Cards (Omang)
for people listed on the Declaration Form in case they are not available to produce
their original identity cards) for the Government to accept the required deposits
allowing bidders to take part in the auction.
19. All vehicles and lots are sold “as is” “where is” without warranty or guarantee of
any kind expressed or implied, as to age, year of manufacture, model, condition,
20. All descriptions of items in the tender schedule are as accurate as possible. All
information was obtained from sources assumed to be correct, but is not
guaranteed by the State.
21. All lots are sold with a reserve price and only bids equivalent or above the reserve
price will be considered.
22. The currency for bidding and payment shall be Botswana Pula.
23. All vehicles sold are to be removed from C.T.O premises immediately after
payment is done. Removal of items will only be allowed on presentation of an
official receipt of purchase.
24. Each vehicle won by a bidder will be registered strictly under his/her name or in
the case of companies, the company name.
25. The Government will not be responsible for the safety of sold items. Ownership of
items not removed within seven (7) days after the sale will revert back to the
Government without any compensation to the buyer and will be sold through
public auction at a later date.
26. The Government is not responsible for damages to, or losses of an item left on the
auction yard/premises after the 7 day time frame.
27. Bidders wishing to participate in the auction should pay P2000.00 (Two Thousand
Pula) refundable deposit for each vehicle they intend to buy. (E.g. a bidder wishing
to buy 2 vehicles (items) should pay a total of P4,000.00 (Four Thousand Pula) in
advance as deposit.
28. A card will be issued for each vehicle intended to be bought.
29. Bidders are not allowed to sell cards to anybody.
30. Only those who have paid the deposit will be allowed into the auction yard.
31. Deposits of all unsuccessful bidders will be returned to them immediately after the
sale and must be collected immediately after the auction sale.
32. Bidders who fail to get their deposits back immediately after the sale will be given
up to a week to claim back their deposit
33. In order to claim back the deposit, each bidder must produce the official receipt
issued to him /her as well as the card for that amount of money.
34. The bidder whose name appears on the official receipt is the only one allowed to
claim back the deposit. No other person will be allowed to collect deposits on
behalf of another person.
35. Buying a card constitutes acceptance by the bidder of all the terms and conditions.
36. The parking, handling and removal of the vehicles is at the sole risk and expense of
37. All items remain the property of the State until payment is made in full. However
the Government will not be responsible for the safety of sold items.
38. After each successful bid, the Auctioneer will collect the bidding card.
39. After full payment has been effected, the Government will issue all the necessary
documents to facilitate in the transfer of the vehicle/equipment.
40. The records of the Auctioneer shall be conclusive as to the amount of the final bid
and winning bidder.
41. In the event of a dispute arising over a lot, the dispute will be resolved in such a
manner as the Auctioneer and CTO may determine. CTO further reserves the right
to refuse or reject bids in the event of a dispute.
42. All sales are subject to the laws of the Republic of Botswana
43. Any violation of these guidelines will disqualify offenders from future sales.
44. ALL ANNOUNCEMENTS MADE ON THE DAY OF SALE SUPERCEDES
ANY PRINTED MATERIAL.