Draft Minutes of the Kirkmahoe Community Council of the 19th September, 2012 in Dalswinton Village Hall Present – KCC Members - Jean Muir, Peter Landale, Neil Munro, Derek Ivy, John Young, Non-KCC Members – Councillor Ivor Hyslop, DGC Convener, Councillor Ted Thompson, Claire Corlett, Margaret Wilson, Gordon Bissett, 1 – Apologies – Hugh Johnstone, Fiona Meikle-Latta 2 – Minutes of the last meeting on 15th August, 2012 2.1 – Approved the minutes of 15th August, 2012 moved by PL and seconded by JM. 3 – Matters arising from the minutes 3.1 – Ted Thompson to provide information re Community Council nominations to JY. 4 – Police Report - no police present to give a report. 5 – Treasurer’s Report (DI) 5.1 – Annual Accounts to 31st March 2012 – Noted the annual for 2011/2012 were with the Independent Examiner and would then be published with the Agenda for the AGM on 17th October 2012. 5.2 – Present Financial Position – Noted there was just under £3,000 in the bank. 5.3 – Windfarm Year 5 Grant – Noted payment of the current year’s grant was s expected by end September 2012. 5.4 – Administrative Grant from D & G Council – the various papers required to be submitted for the annual administrative grant will be finalised after the Annual Accounts are approved. 5.5 – Race Night Insurance – Agreed to accept a quotation of £78. 6 – Councillors’ Report 6.1 – Ivor Hyslop told the meeting that the Council is going through a budget process where they have to make £27M worth of savings in the next 3 years which could rise to £30M. 6.2 – £1M was being put aside for structural repairs to roads. This sum may increase but this will not be decided until some time in October 2012 6.3 – There would be a public consultation using the charette model proposed for the Whitesands area. 6.4 – There would be a public consultation re a proposed super school model for pupils of 15 and older. Ted Thompson is to email KCC with the details of the consultation process. 6.5 – There were two proposed sites for the new hospital planned to be operational by 2016. 7 – Kirkton Enhancements (NM) 7.1 – Pilot Edging Proposal – NM advised the meeting that a quotation for £500 had been given by MCK Construction, who is the locally approved Marshall’s edging installer. This is to be confirmed in writing and the stone edging is to be gifted by Marshalls (Stancliffe, Locharbriggs Quarry) as previously promised. 7.2 – JY and NM have revisited the residents near the Village Green and shown them photographs of the present condition and proposed improvements. Out of the twenty-two houses visited, discussions took place with 17 of them, all of whom approved of the scheme 7.3 – NM and JY had met the Roads Department and is awaiting their written response to his letter outlining earlier discussions in respect of technical, administrative and HSE issues raised at KCC meetings relating to the pilot edging at the Green. JY is also awaiting a response from the Planning Department who will be considering the Roads Department response and their view on the scheme. The Council have also offered to give a quotation for the installation of the edging and their price is awaited. 7.4 – GB asked for further clarification in respect of the reason for the edging pilot. JY highlighted the benefits of limiting the Village Green erosion and the watershed that the edging would provide. GB then asked about the rest of the Green and the need for treatment of the edging and walkways in this area. NM agreed that this was necessary and that the pilot scheme would set the benchmark for future works if approved by the community. Ivor Hyslop and Ted Thompson offered to expedite any responses awaited from the Council if this would be helpful. JY to pursue these outstanding matters and will report on progress at the next meeting. DI was pleased to hear that the majority of those directly affected by the proposals had been consulted ahead of the initial installation. He also noted that the installation of the edging and path improvements on the whole of the Green would be an ideal use of windfarm benefit. 7.5 – NM reported that there was no further update on the replacement of the telephone box door but that BT would complete the work as soon as possible. 7.6 – In respect of the landscaping proposal on the side of Longloch Drive, opposite Duncow Court, several more home owners would be contacted to conclude this survey. Early indications showed considerable enthusiasm for the idea. 7.7 – NM was waiting for Norman Burns of DGHP to confirm their position in respect of providing a community notice board at Duncow Court. 7.8 – A convex mirror had been erected on the lamp post on the C11 road at its junction with Longloch Drive. JY to report on the background of this matter to the next meeting. 8 – Kirkton Sewage Works 8.1 – A further response had been received from Mark McLaren of Scottish Water regarding their intention to repair the Submerged Aerated Filtration unit. No undertaking had been given in respect of bringing the plant as a whole into line with the European Directives for sewage treatment works. NM to write to SEPA, all the local MPs, MSPs, D & G Councillors, Nith Salmon Fisheries Board and any other individuals or organisations with an interest, updating them now and in the future, on this matter and seeking their support for a major upgrade. 9 – Planning Matters 9.1 – (JM) Original application for the Blackwood anemometer was revoked. The site was chosen but there was no access to erect it. 10 – Events 10.1 – Race Night PL to contact David Howdle to confirm that the Race provider has been booked for the 12th October. PL to organise refreshments and FML to organise food. JY to contact Janice for the use of her table accessories. PL to email all concerned as to their duties on the night. 11– Correspondence 11.1 – Letter from SP Network Energies re interruption to power supplies on 21st September, due to major works at Gates Factory. 11.2 – JY had made enquiries with the Council about the commencement date of the new footpath between the Green and the existing footpath to the church, and would report on the timescale to the next meeting. 11.3 – Agreed to treat the bench on the Village Green with teak oil, (NM and JY) 11.4 – Noted Japanese Music Concert in Closeburn Church on 17th October 2012. 11.5 – Noted JY had sent an email to PC Wheeler in respect of a number of issues affecting Kirkmahoe, and would seek feedback on these issues. 12 – Any other business 12.1 – GB reported that the funding for the restoration of the fencing and repairs at the War Memorial is still being discussed with the Council. A favourable outcome is expected soon. GB informed the meeting that there is likely to be renewed interest in the memorial due to the commemoration of the outbreak of World War I which will take place in 2014. 12.2 – Whilst KCC was still eligible for community benefit as a member of the Moffat Initiative Management Trust from the Harestanes windfarm, there is still an ongoing discussion between Scottish Power and the authorising bodies in respect of planning consent around the infrastructure. There may now be some doubt around the viability of the project in its current form, hence the delay to construction which was due to commence in June 2012. NM to follow up on this situation and report at the next meeting. The Loch Urr windfarm seems to be proceeding as planned but a similar update will be given on this project. 12.3 – A Kirkton resident has asked for a pavement to be built between the junction of Longloch Drive and the houses on the Dumfries side of the village. JY to arrange to include this project in the Small Schemes Book for consideration by the Council. 12.4 – Some but not all of the potholes on the Village Green have been patch-repaired. JY to expedite the repair of those outstanding pot holes in the centre of Kirkton. 12.5 – The Chairman, Jean Muir, who was standing down as a KCC member after 12 years of loyal service, expressed her thanks to all KCC members for their hard work and support. The Vice Chairman, Peter Landale, who was also standing down as a KCC member, , expressed his thanks to Jean Muir, on behalf of all KCC members. Both Jean and Peter will be missed and their service to the community has been greatly appreciated. 13 – Date of Next Meeting 13.1 – The next meeting, being the AGM, will be on Wednesday, 17th October, 2012 Kirkton Village Hall at 7.30 pm.