How to Protect Against Identity Theft
In today’s digital age, identity theft is a serious concern for everyone. Not only is stealing an
identity potentially easier in the electronic age, but once an identity has been stolen, a
considerable amount of damage can be done in a relatively short period of time. Sometimes,
the damage cannot be repaired, leaving victims without their life savings in their golden years.
Although there is no absolute fool-proof method to prevent identity theft, there are some steps
you can take to guard against becoming a victim.
1. Ignore e-mails that come from a source you do not recognize. Sometimes, even opening
an e-mail can provide the sender with access to your computer and the personal
information contained therein.
2. Never give out personal information over the telephone. If the need for information is
legitimate, the requester will not have a problem putting the request in writing or
allowing you to call them back.
3. Shred documents that contain personal information. You might be surprised at the vital
personal information you throw out in your trash every week. A single bag of trash could
provide a thief with enough information to assume your identity.
4. Passwords shouldprotect everything. Change the passwords on a regular schedule. New
computers have the ability to store passwords or even allow you to sign in with your
fingerprint. Make sure you keep track of passwords, but do not carry them in your purse
5. Check your credit report on a regular basis. You may check your report for free once a
year at annualcreditreport.com which is the only site officially endorsed by the U.S.
government. Other sites may allow you to check for free or for a small fee. You may also
decide to sign up for a service that monitors your credit and notifies you of any unusual
Experienced estate planning attorneys Roseville CA of the John Rogers Burk, A Law Corporation
offers estate planning and business planning resources to residents of Roseville CA. To learn
more about these free resources, please visit www.roseville-estate-planning.com/ today.