Can’t Stand the Heat? Keep the Fire out of the Kitchen by sethtj1

VIEWS: 9 PAGES: 2

More Info
									Can’t Stand the Heat? Keep the Fire out of the Kitchen
About a third of all home fires start in the kitchen. That’s equal to tens of thousands of people’s homes
going up in flames.

And the worst thing is that many of them could have been prevented. And although cooking was the
leading cause, there were a couple other sources that could have easily been prevented if consumers
had just been more aware of them.

Here are a few things you can to prevent fire damage to your Cincinnati home. First, watch your
cooking.

                                                          Quick Tips
                                                          As stated earlier, cooking is often the cause of
                                                          most fires. Burners and ovens poorly cared are
                                                          a huge fire hazard to everyone in the house.

                                                          You should take care of your appliances. Keep
                                                          them in top performance shape and heed their
                                                          usability warnings.

                                                          Also, do not leave them running unattended.
                                                          How many times has a home caught fire
                                                          because a burner was left unattended? Spoons
                                                          placed too closely to the edge and overflows
                                                          can spread a fire in just a few minutes.

Don’t Panic
Another big cooking error is actually panicking when you encounter a grease fire. They are probably the
most frightening of all fires.

You are taught all your life that water is fire’s enemy. Throwing water on a grease fire should therefore
put it out.

What a surprise you find when not only does it not put it out, but it also spreads the fire further and
faster. It’s at this moment that true panic begins.

It’s like a soldier learning he can hit a man in the leg to slow him down, only to meet Superman on the
battle field and find that it only sped him up out of anger. Anyone would panic in that situation.

Panicking is the worst thing to do though. Instead, a homeowner should try to utilize a grease fire’s
kryptonite, an environment without oxygen.
Find a cover of some sort and place it over the flames, cutting off their connection to life sustaining
oxygen. This will decrease your chance of hurting your home with fire damage in Cincinnati.

Danger of Appliances
Other risks include using appliances in your kitchen. We often take our appliances for granted, thinking
they are perfectly safe.

Although they are designed to be harmless, they can prove to
be dangerous under the right circumstances. There are a few
things you should do.

Always plug your appliance directly into an outlet. Do not use an
extension cord for these.

Unlike Christmas lights, a DVD player and a reading lamp,
kitchen appliances cannot be all safely crammed into one
extension cord. You are much more likely to overload the
circuit, causing fire damagein Cincinnati.

Read the owner’s manual. Follow the instructions on proper
operating and care.

The more you misuse your appliance, the greater risk it will be
to you and your home. Don’t be the reason fire damage in
Cincinnati happened.

It takes a great man to humble himself to read the directions.
Women aren’t quite as prideful in this area.

Prevent fire damage in Cincinnati, fight fires by never letting them happen. Be attentive and responsible
in your kitchen.



Photo Credit: Eye of Einstein, Jason Hargrove

								
To top