Pre departure Erasmus Student portal Bournemouth University

Document Sample
Pre departure Erasmus Student portal Bournemouth University Powered By Docstoc
					                                       Bournemouth University

             Key Information for Outgoing Erasmus Exchange Students 2012-13

Erasmus mobility is an EU funded scheme and the national agency for the UK is the British Council.
Erasmus provides grants to students who carry out study exchanges in Europe to help support their living
costs. Students must carry out a minimum of 3 months (12 weeks) at a partner university in Europe.

Main contact:
Deborah Velay – Erasmus Coordinator at BU
DL113, Dorset Library, Fern Barrow, Poole, Dorset, BH12 5BB
Tel: +44 (0) 1202 965 824, Email:

Study dates
Term/semester dates vary; check these with your host university (often available on universities’

Erasmus grants are awarded only for mobility taking place during the period 1 June 2012 to 30 September

Prepare for your Travels

Make sure you are ready for your international experience – read the helpful advice section ‘Prepare for
your travels’ which is online at

The Your Europe website for students provides advice and guidance on the administrative formalities
necessary for studying and living in another European country:

Accommodation arrangements are different depending on which university you will attend. Research
options before you leave the UK:

   Check what your host university can offer -some universities have reserved accommodation for
    incoming exchange students
   Ask former exchange students or incoming students from your host university about accommodation
     Incoming exchange students coming to Bournemouth may be happy to swap their
        accommodation and stay in yours during the exchange.
     Or, you may be able to rent out your accommodation to others during the period of your
     Before this happens please ensure that you have done the following:
         Check the terms of your tenancy agreement to see whether you are allowed to sub-let your
             room. Unless you have express permission from your landlord to do this, in most tenancy
             agreements it is against housing law.
         You can seek advice on your tenancy agreements with the Student Advisors in the Student’s
             Union. They may be able to help you negotiate with your landlord if subletting is not specified
             in your agreement:

Barbara Fletcher: email or phone 01202 965 764
    If you are allowed to sub-let your accommodation make sure that you have the agreement of any
       other housemates and that you also draw up a contract specifying the length of stay and costs.
       You can also seek the advice of the Student Advisors for this.

Room & Board
Students will pay for their own accommodation and food in their host country.

Passport validity
Check the expiry date and the minimum period of validity with the relevant embassy.
Keep copies of your passport (+insurance certificates etc.) as this will help if you need to replace them at
any point.

Data Protection
We may be contacted by your parents both before and during your study abroad and are only able to talk
to them about matters relating to your study abroad period if we have your express permission. You will be
asked to sign a form giving us permission to do so.

Let your host institution’s Exchange Coordinator know your arrival date and time. Find out where you need
to go and whom you should see on arrival. If you are likely to arrive after office hours, check how you can
get access to your accommodation or book yourself into a local hotel, if necessary. It may be helpful to
obtain a map of your host city in advance.

Registration at host institution
Check procedures with your host university. Some institutions will pre-register you and others will ask you
to register on-line, by telephone, or on arrival.

   Make sure you know what the procedures are
   Enquire about forms of assessment so you know what is expected for each module/unit/course.

Documents needed
Check with your host institution what documents you will need, e.g. for France you may need an
authorised French translation of your birth certificate.

You should check with your School coordinator whether any professional or other restrictions will apply
during your exchange period (e.g. insurance cover for nursing students).

You are encouraged to attend any orientation and/or induction events arranged by your host university.
You are normally required to register for these in advance (and some may involve a participation fee,
which you are responsible for). During the orientation programme you will receive useful information about
the university, its facilities and services. You will also get the chance to meet other new students.

Health and safety

Travel and health insurance
All Erasmus students are eligible for free travel insurance through Bournemouth University. This insurance
is only valid for activities/travel in connection with your study exchange. You must provide Deborah Velay
with your outward travel date from the UK to your host country so that you can be entered on the
insurance travel register. You should also state the length of your study exchange and return date to the
UK. You will only be insured for the dates entered onto the travel register.

Please ensure that you read the insurance policy carefully to see whether it covers you sufficiently – e.g. it
may not cover you for pre-existing medical conditions. You are responsible for any extra insurance you
need to take out.

For general information about health related issues for travellers, please visit the ‘Health Advice for
Travellers’ section of the Department of Health website:

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
The EHIC is valid in all EU member states as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Malta, Norway, and
Switzerland. Having an EHIC card means you can get reduced costs, sometimes free, medical treatment if
it becomes necessary. It also covers your for treatment for chronic illnesses (by prior arrangement).

The quickest and easiest way for UK students to apply for an EHIC is online at

Non UK students can find information about the EHIC online at -

Health and immunisations
Check immunisation requirements and advice with your Medical Centre well in advance of your departure
date. If you suffer from a medical condition or are taking medication, please discuss this with your GP and
make sure you have a sufficient supply or can easily get hold of the medication whilst abroad. Keep any
prescriptions in your hand luggage – you may be asked to show these to customs officers on arrival.

You should conduct your own research on the country (countries) you are travelling to with particular
emphasis on health and safety concerns, as well as the social, cultural, and political situations.

You must complete and hand in an ‘Emergency Contact’ form to the International Exchange Coordinator
before you leave the UK.

Personal safety
You should bear in mind at all times that the norms of the UK will not necessarily apply to your host
country. You may find the environment more or less safe than the UK/Bournemouth and should try to talk
to locals at the earliest opportunity to find out about the city/area. It may not be safe to walk around alone
at night and you should ensure you are aware of the local danger spots. You are advised to use common
sense - and it is better to be overcautious in the first few weeks until you get to know the area. Find out as
much as possible about your exchange destination before you leave. Read pre-arrival information and
attend security briefings at your host institution.

Always lock the door and windows in your apartment/room. Take the same kinds of precautions you would
need to take in the UK/Bournemouth, but in a less familiar environment you should take extra care.

For more tips on student safety visit the Suzy Lamplugh Trust website:

Make sure you know what to do in an emergency situation at your host university and in the host country
(e.g. learn the emergency phone numbers, find out the phone number and address of the British
Consulate or Embassy in the country or countries you are visiting).

If you can’t get the assistance you need in your host country then the Bournemouth University
switchboard is manned 24 hours and the person answering should have a list of contacts to put you
through to depending on the emergency or requirement. The number to call is +44 (0) 1202 524 111.

You should take particular care when travelling to and from your host country and within the country
following your arrival. Avoid arriving in the evening, as you may not be able to receive assistance outside
office hours. If you choose to travel to other locations during your study period abroad, make sure
someone knows of your travel plans and aim to leave a contact number.

If you have any health & safety concerns, let both your host and home Exchange Coordinator know

Adjusting to living in a different culture
The first few weeks might be a stressful time, but things normally get better with time. Expect things to be
different – after all that’s probably one of the reasons you decided to go abroad in the first place! It is
recommended that you get involved in activities organised for visiting students at your university and also
join clubs and societies. This is the best way to meet people in a similar situation to you and to immerse
yourself in the language of the host country.

To help you prepare for the academic side of your exchange, it might be useful for you to familiarise
yourself with the education system of your host country. This kind of information is often sent with the pre-
arrival pack you receive from your host university. If this is not the case, your International Exchange
Coordinator at Bournemouth may be able to give you details.

Some suggestions on how to make your overseas stay as pleasant as possible
 Prepare well for your journey
   Know how to sort out various problems upon arrival, i.e. know who can help
   Use all your resources and contacts to seek assistance, i.e. host International Office/Study Abroad
    Office, Accommodation Office, allocated host tutor and also the Bournemouth University International

Keeping in touch
   Keep in touch with Deborah at BU ( whilst you are abroad;
   Keep a regular blog to document your exchange and life in your new country;
   Let us know your e-mail and postal address while you are abroad;
   Keep your programme leader/School coordinator informed of academic issues that may arise (course
    changes etc.);
   Keep in touch with your family and friends on a regular basis.

Computer facilities
Find out about computer access on arrival. You might not be able to access your host university’s
computer facilities for the first few days – ask about alternative computer access, such as Internet cafés
and public libraries.

Academic issues

Courses/unit choices/projects
You should discuss your academic programme for the exchange period with your Programme
Leader/School Erasmus Coordinator and ask them to sign your Learning Agreement before you leave.
You may have to drop/add courses on arrival – please clear this with your School as soon as possible and
amend your Learning Agreement accordingly (you will then need to get it signed again).

Please be aware that your study exchange has been approved on the basis of the units / modules which
you submitted on your Learning Agreement. Any changes made to the nature / content of your study
exchange without the prior approval of your programme leader could jeopardise your progression at
Bournemouth University.

You must also be aware that your study exchange will only be recognised on a pass / fail basis. You will
be expected to pass your study exchange in order to progress at BU; however the grades from the study
abroad period will not count towards your final degree classification. You will receive BU credits for the
units studied during your exchange.

Exams and assessments at host university
Note that students on exchange are required to undertake all exams and assessments as stipulated by
the host university. If you leave early or fail to do the required work you will not receive credits.

You are required to successfully complete all units listed on your final Learning Agreement in order to
receive credit. If you are experiencing problems with your studies, let your home university know as soon
as possible.

Credit transfer

ECTS allocates 60 credits for a year of full-time study at undergraduate level. This is equivalent to 120
Bournemouth University credits. ECTS credits can therefore be determined arithmetically, as in the tables
below. Check with your programme leader to see how credits at the host university will relate to your degree

ECTS credit

ECTS credit        BU credit
60                 120
30                 60
10                 20
5                  10

Withdrawal from an exchange scheme
Let Deborah at Bournemouth University know immediately if you are having any problems on your
exchange. Please be aware that if you do not do the minimum 3 months of your exchange then you would
have to pay back any Erasmus funding you had received.

Is my Erasmus exchange recognised for my degree?
Yes! Your Erasmus exchange will be recorded on your university transcript and your Diploma Supplement.
The Diploma Supplement is one of the initiatives resulting from the Bologna Declaration - an
intergovernmental agreement signed in 1999 that aims to create greater coherence and transparency to
European higher education. Find out more online at -

Work placement / Academic training
Participants in the Erasmus exchange programme may have the option of undertaking a work placement
in their host country after their study exchange. It may be possible for you to join the Erasmus placement
scheme in support of this. Check with Deborah for further details.

Students are responsible for finding their own placement (by using resources at host university, e.g.
careers service, library, the internet etc.) and for making sure that it meets Bournemouth University
requirements and fits in with their programme.

Returning to Bournemouth

Contact your home Programme Administrator to find out what you need to do.

Remember to make housing arrangements for your return to Bournemouth. You can contact the
Accommodation Office for advice:

Placement year
If you are on a sandwich course and returning home for your placement year, start making arrangements
for your placement while you are abroad and keep in touch with your School’s placement
office/administrator and other students on your programme.

If you are planning to stay abroad for your placement, make sure that your placement position and period
has been approved by your School. Ask for help at your host university with contacting local employers
(e.g. Careers & Placements Service, departmental contacts etc.)

Arrange for an e-mail account that you can access from outside Bournemouth University and inform the
DEBORAH of the address before you leave.

□ Fees
Make arrangements for tuition and other applicable fees to be paid to Bournemouth University before you

□ Visas
Check with the relevant embassy, well in advance of your travel date, whether or not you are required to
apply for a visa for your exchange period. If applicable, ensure that you apply for your visa as soon as

□Check passport validity
Should normally be valid for six months after you return to the UK. If you need to renew it, it can take
several weeks to process here in the UK.

□ Contact addresses/e-mails/telephone numbers
Take them with you so you know whom to contact for different matters.

□ LEA / student loans
Will your LEA pay for flights/health insurance? Have you arranged for cheques to be sent to your parents
or paid into your bank account?

Have you made sure whether your host university’s health insurance is mandatory or not? If not, have you
arranged your own health insurance? Travel and property insurance is your responsibility – make sure you
have adequate cover.

□□ Credit transfer
Talk to your Programme Leader before you go. Are you clear on how the year abroad is counted towards
your degree at Bournemouth?

□□Emergency Contact Information & Release of Information form
Have you signed and returned the form to Deborah?

□□ Withdrawal
Have you informed your programme leader, Deborah, Student Finance?


                    AMBASSADOR (we ask you to keep this in mind)

 Whilst Bournemouth University endeavours to ensure that the information contained in this document is
              accurate at the date of issue, it does not accept liability for any inaccuracies.


Shared By: