COS104 - Day 21 - Piracy of
Professor Jeff Marsee
• The unauthorized copying of
copyrighted materials for any reason
except for back up. (condensed)
• Copyright. Copyright is the exclusive
right granted "to authors" under the
U.S. Copyright Act to copy, adapt,
distribute, rent, publicly perform, and
publicly display their works of
authorship, such as literary works,
databases, musical works, sound
recordings, photographs and other still
images, and motion pictures and other
audiovisual works. For additional
information, please see Content &
Copyright. (Online Law)
Why is it a big problem?
• Digital copying
distributors get no
Tapes and non-digital video
• Copies were always
of a lesser quality
then the original
But… who can limit what we do?
• The 1st Amendment
Piracy Quiz by Microsoft
OK, so what?
• Everyone does it…
• Who does it harm……..
• The companies are big enough to cover
• I didn’t make any money on it….
• You’re supposed to share…..
• Help thy neighbor…..
• Lets hear the pros and cons to this
• Remember, discussion and opinions
that are shared need to stay in this
• Teleological perspective says…
• Deontological perspective says……
• Christian perspective says…..
Links of interest
http://www.loc.gov/copyright/legislation/dmca.pdf – Digital