California State UniverSity • loS angeleS
College of BUSineSS and eConomiCS
Position Yourself for Career Success at Program Overview Masters Comprehensive Examination (0 units) Elective Courses
Students must demonstrate their integrative and interdis- In agreement with their graduate adviser, MSIS candidates
L.A’s Business College Cal State L.A.’s MSIS program is designed to create IS/IT ciplinary business capabilities by satisfactorily complet- select six graduate level elective courses. Typical elective
professionals that have the background needed to advance ing BUS 596, Comprehensive Examination. courses include:
Cal State L.A.’s Master of Science in Information Systems
to senior planning, consulting and project management
degree program (MSIS) is designed for the needs of work-
positions. Required Professional Option Courses (33 units) CIS 527 Decision Support Systems
ing professionals who are interested in senior consulting,
A total of 33 units of 500-level courses are required. Analysis of the tools needed to mine data from data ware-
project management and professional positions in IS/IT
Professional Option houses, from the Web, and from commercial information
and user organizations. The Professional track is designed
The MSIS, Professional Option (PMSIS) is designed for Required Courses (9 units) services; experience in downloading the data into PC
for current IS/IT professionals. The Executive track pro-
managers and professionals working in the business in- CIS 510 IS/IT Architecture (4) packages and in producing multi-media presentations
vides a career change path for working managers and
formation systems field. The option offers professionals CIS 520 Software Engineering (4) from the data.
the background knowledge needed to move into today’s CIS 598 Graduate Directed Study (1) CIS 543 Database Systems
challenging senior planning, consulting, and project man- Database concepts, comparison of relational and object-
The newly-structured program provides all of the features
agement positions. Electives (24 Units) oriented models, unified modeling language for databases,
of a full-time program on a convenient year-round evening
Select 24 units (six courses) with prior graduate adviser principles of data warehousing, database administration
schedule (6:10 to 10 p.m., Monday - Thursday).
approval. and development tools, case study in database design.
Executive Option CIS 560 Microcomputer Networks
The decision to pursue an MSIS degree at Cal State L.A. The MSIS Executive Option is designed for working execu- Required Executive Option Courses (36 units) Recent developments and trends in data and voice com-
is a step forward into a more challenging, selective, and tives, managers, and professionals who are interested in a A total of 48 units of 500-level courses are required. munication-oriented hardware, software, and architectures.
rewarding career path. This Master’s degree positions career redirection, or change into the business information Design, installation, and systems management of distrib-
graduates for higher achievement in life, both profession- systems/technology field. It is designed to provide persons Required Courses (12 units) uted systems.
ally and personally.
currently employed in business and other types of orga- CIS 501 Application Programming (4) CIS 561 Design of an E-Commerce Site
nizations in management and operations positions, the CIS 502 Analysis and Logical Design I: Analysis, development, and design of a web-based e-com-
Cal State L.A.’s MSIS Advantage education needed to obtain the professional and managerial Data/Object Structure (4) merce site model for an actual business. Course includes
knowledge and skill needed for senior level positions. These CIS 503Z Analysis and Logical Design II: a hands-on project incorporating Web design, electronic
• Most cutting-edge program in the Los Angeles area positions may be found in information systems/informa- Methodology (4) transfer processing, and site development/maintenance.
• Globally-focused and technology-based program tion technology (IS/IT) user and support organizations, CIS 562 Authoring Websites
• Faculty who combine their stellar academic credentials such as: consulting, user management, development plan- Electives (24 units) Design of websites based on visual, color, content, ani-
with real-world business experience Select 24 units (six courses) with prior graduate adviser mation, and hierarchical elements. Tailoring format and
ning and management, and data center operations.
• Accredited by AACSB International approval. writing for the specific audience, purpose, and media.
• Relevant, real-world orientation Incorporating interactivity to enhance understanding and
• Highly diverse student body Applicants are required to have a bachelor’s degree from
• Convenient location an accredited university, at least three years’ professional
CIS 567 Knowledge Systems
• Full- or part-time options level experience, and an interest in a career in IS/IT. A Analysis, design, implementation, management, and use
• Tailored programs for working professionals, and full- basic knowledge of business operations is a prerequisite of decision support and expert systems and their impact
time students for admission to graduate courses. on how organizations operate. Hands-on development of
• Great value – well-rounded experience with the lower a decision support/expert systems model.
tuition costs The MSIS Curriculum CIS 583 Information Systems Consulting
• Evening classes starting at 6:10 pm for working students Approaches and tools for consulting to the modern informa-
A total of 45-48 units of 500 level courses and a master tion-age organization. Presentation of the results of actual
AACSB Accreditation comprehensive examination are required. Most students consulting projects. Student case study presentations.
complete the program in two years. CIS 584 Controlling and Auditing Information Systems
AACSB accreditation represents the high- Controlling and auditing mission-critical computer and
est standard of achievement for business Required Common Core Courses (12 units) communication-based systems. Challenges to manage-
schools worldwide. Being AACSB-ac- CIS 504 Management Information Systems (4) ment, information systems, and auditors.
credited means a business school is able to CIS 585 Communication and Information Services (4) CIS 586 Project and Change Management
continuously pass a strict set of standards CIS 590 IS/IT Policy and Strategy (4) Organizational, behavioral and life-cycle aspects of the
that ensure quality. project planning, staffing, control, and implementation
elements of technology-based systems.
Admission Process Student Self Checklist International (visa) Students California State University,
Admission to the MSIS program (and all graduate pro- Apply at CSU Mentor at www.csumentor.edu for the International (visa) applicants seeking entry into the Unit-
grams in the College of Business and Economics) is a quarter you wish to start. Check the web page at ed States on the basis of acceptance by Cal State L.A. must
two-step process. Students must first be admitted to the www.calstatela.edu/univ/admiss/deadlines.php for the file a special international student application (available
University and then must satisfy the College of Busi- application deadlines. Make sure you meet the minimum from the Admissions and University Outreach Office), in
ness and Economics’ requirements for admission to the requirements, i.e. GPA 2.5 and TOEFL 550, if you are an addition to the College of Business and Economics appli-
graduate programs. international applicant. cation, at least six months before the quarter they wish to
begin their studies. For assistance in resolving admission
For admission to the University, applicants must have: Once you have finished the online process for CSULA, problems and complying with regulations governing the
• Applied to the University (official CSU application) submit your complete application package to the Col- entry of international students, applicants should contact
• A baccalaureate from an accredited institution, or lege of Business and Economics Advisement Center by International Student Services, (323) 343-3170.
equivalent academic preparation as determined by mail (see contact information). The list of documents
Admissions or appropriate campus authority. needed in the package includes: For the International Application, please go to the web page at
• Two copies of official transcripts, which must include www.csumentor.edu/admissionapp/intl_apply.asp
verification of the bachelor’s degree. • Official transcript(s) from all universities attended
• A grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.5 (4.0=A) in • Graduate Program application (downloadable MS Contact Information:
most recent 90 quarter (or 60 semester) units attempted word file)
and good standing at the last college attended. • Entry Essay (questions found in the Graduate General Information:
• A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score Program application) (323) 343-5156
of at least 213 (computer version) or 550 (paper ver- • Three recommendation forms/letters Facsimile: (323) 343-5480
sion) for those applicants who earned a bachelor’s de- (from previous professors or supervisors) http://cbe.calstatela.edu
gree at a school where English was not the principal • Resume CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, LOS ANGELES
language of instruction. • Official GMAT Score (College Code 4399) College of Business and Economics
Advisement Center–Graduate Programs, SH256B
For additional information about admission to the Please indicate the quarter you are applying for in all doc- 5151 State University Drive
University, applicants should contact Admissions uments that you submit. Los Angeles, CA 90032-8120
at (323) 343-3901 or e-mail email@example.com.
In addition to University admission requirements, appli- • Applicants with an incomplete application
cants to graduate programs in the College of Business and package will NOT be admitted.
Economics must submit the following: • Applicants without a GMAT Score will NOT
be permitted to take graduate-level courses.
• A separate graduate program application to the Col-
lege of Business and Economics. For the Graduate Pro- Application Filing Periods
gram application, please go to the web page at
http://cbe.calstatela.edu/GradProg/admiss.php For the latest information about deadlines for the Graduate
• A minimum Graduate Management Admission Test Program, please refer to the Cal State L.A. web page at www.
(GMAT) score of 500 is required. Applications for the calstatela.edu/univ/admiss/deadlines.php
GMAT may be obtained directly from the GMAT Pro-
gram, P.O. Box 581907, MN 55458-1907 or online at Cost
• Three letters of recommendation from individuals who For fee information, please refer to CSULA University web
can attest to the applicant’s ability to pursue graduate page at www.calstatela.edu/univ/sfinserv/feepay.php
studies. References from employers and faculty mem- for the latest information.
bers are acceptable.
• Detailed resume or curriculum vitae showing the appli-
cant’s work experience (two or more years full time).
The College examines each candidate’s potential, taking
into consideration all academic work experience, level of
responsibility, and other factors that may have a bearing
on the individual’s potential for success. Applicants are
evaluated on the merits in comparison to all other appli- College of Business and Economics
cants for the quarter. http://cbe.calstatela.edu/is/ms_is_Degree.php