• Lighthouses in General
• Lighthouse Facts
QuickTime™ and a
• Greeks created a causeway the lead to the TIFF (LZW) decomp resso r
are neede d to see this picture.
island and separated the port into two. Ptolemy
commenced this magnificent building around
297 BCE, to protect ships from the precarious
nature of the harbor.
• Then, in 1822, the first modern lighthouse was
invented by a Frenchman named Augustin
Fresnel, who found a way to increase the light
by using prisms.
• The bottom of Pharos rose to a height of sixty meters, while
the octagon and the top circular portion of the lighthouse were
thirty and fifteen meters respectively. These dimensions make
Pharos a monument of grandiose proportions--it is said that the
light from the top could be seen for 34 1/2 to an amazing 300
miles away. The fire would have been placed at the bottom of
Pharos. Mirrors, made of very polished bronze, lined the entire
inside projected the fire onto a mirror at the top. During the
day, the sun's rays were used to project the light; this was
convenient since Pharos was mainly used during the day, as
many ships did not sail at night.
Lighthouses in General
• Lighthouses are used to warn ships that there
are rocks near.
• A fire was built in the upper part of the
lighthouses for ships to see the rocks,but it was
• Later, the lighthouse keepers learned that if they
put reflectors behind the lamps it would be
• The prisms of the light beam made the light
visible for many miles.
• First lighthouse - Boston, MA
• Oldest lighthouse in service - Sandy Hook, NJ
• Newest shoreside lighthouse - Charleston, SC
• Only lighthouse equipped with an elevator -
• Tallest lighthouse - Cape Hatteras, NC
• Highest lighthouse (above sea level) - Cape
• The first lighthouse
– The inventors and where the lighthouse came from too. -
– Structure of the lighthouse. -
– Some history of the lighthouse. -
– Faded pic of lighthouse on rocks - www.fotoartsassociates.com/ PortlandHead.jpg 2/18/05
– Lighthouse next to little house - reach.ucf.edu/ ~cpaw/lighthouses.html 2/18/05
– Little drawing of lighthouse backround black - http://www. smith.edu/hsc/ museum/ancient_
– Two pics of the structures of the lighthouse -
– Lighthouse between trees - www.atpm.com/.../ hunting-island-light9.shtm
– Inventor - melusine.eu.org/.../ fresnel/augustin/body.html 2/18/05