Everything You Need to
Spiders! Scary or Nice?
• Are you afraid of
• Humans often do
they look scary.
• Spiders look like insects but are
actually known as arachnids.
• Spiders have two body parts.
• Spiders have 8 legs.
• Spiders have spinnerets at the
bottom of the abdomen for spinning
Parts of the Spider
The Life Cycle of the
The adult spider The spider covers
lays eggs. the eggs with silk.
The baby spiders
Baby spiders hatch
grow into adult
From the eggs.
Spiders Spin Webs
• Spiders have six fingerlike silk glands called
spinnerets located beneath the abdomen.
• The silk comes from inside the spiders body as a
• As it makes contact with air the silk dries into a
line that looks like a long strand of hair.
• The spider then weaves the silk into a web.
• The web is sticky and helps the spider catch prey.
Spiders Catch Prey
• Spiders catch other insects with their
• Spiders can only digest liquid food.
• The spider bits the prey with their fangs
and injects digestive enzymes.
• This causes the tissue of the prey to
• The spider then drinks the insects leaving
nothing but the insects shell.
Spiders Live Everywhere
• We can find • Spiders live in
spiders water, gardens,
everywhere in the houses, and in the
world because they ground
have adapted • Spiders live where
themselves to it is hot and cold
living in different • Spiders live where
environments it is wet and dry.
Should we be frightened
• Many people think that all spiders are
poisonous but usually very few spider bites
can be harmful to humans.
• Usually spiders are frightened of people
and try to escape them.
• One of the largest spiders is the
tarantula. It looks very scary but is not
harmful and sometimes is kept as a pet.