SUTTON COURTENAY PARISH COUNCIL
To: All Members of the Council
You are hereby summoned to attend the annual meeting of the Parish Council to be held at the
Village Hall, Sutton Courtenay, on Tuesday 1st May, 2012 at 7.30 p.m. for the transaction of
the business stated below.
Mrs. L.A. Martin Orchard House,
Clerk of the Council 90 Howard Cornish Road,
Tel: (01865) 391833 Oxon. OX13 6PU
1. Election of Chairman
2. Declaration of Acceptance of Office as Chairman
3. Election of Vice Chairman
4. Appointment of Planning Working Group (5)
5. Appointment of Oxfordshire Association of Local Councils representative (1)
6. Appointment of Village Hall Management Committee representative (1)
7. Appointment of Public Transport representative (1)
8. Appointment of RWEnPower Liaison Committee representatives (2)
9. Appointment of Waste Recycling Group Liaison Committee representatives (2)
10. Appointment of Millennium Common Committee representative (1)
11. Appointment of Harwell Stakeholder Group representative (1)
12. Appointment of Culham Liaison Committee representative (1)
13. Appointment of Western Villages Alliance Group representative (1)
14. Appointment of Police Neighbourhood Action Group representative (1)
15. Appointment of Damascus Advisory Committee representatives (2)
16. Appointment of Oxfordshire County Council Minerals and Waste Stakeholder Forum
Group representative (1)
17. Appointment of Parish Plan Steering Group representatives (2)
18. Appointment of representatives to Didcot Town Council’s “Closer Working with
Neighbouring Parishes” group (2)
19. To establish a recreation ground working party to meet with Football Club and
Cricket Club to discuss recreation ground management and other issues and to report
back to Council
20. Establishment of a Landfill site Working Party to consider and evaluate
information as it is released concerning the future of the site and any planning or other
applications, and report back to Council.
21. To appoint representatives to the local technical working group considering the
technical and environmental aspects of any activities on the landfill site, and report
back to Council.
22. Establishment of Cemetery Working Party to consider the fee structure charged for
interments and memorials within the cemetery.
23 Establishment of Review of Effectiveness of Audit working party to consider the
effectiveness of the audit and to report back to Council.
24 Appointment of representative to Reservoir Affected Parishes Group
25. As Custodian Trustees of the village hall site, to appoint representatives to meet with
the village hall management committee on any matters relating to the hall site.
26. To appoint substitutes for members who cannot attend the committee/group meetings.
27. Apologies for Absence
28. Declarations of Interest
To receive any declaration of Personal or Prejudicial interests in respect of items on the
agenda for this meeting. (Please refer to notes at the end of agenda). Members are
reminded that should they have a personal interest in an item they must disclose the
existence and nature of that interest to the meeting prior to the matter being debated.
Where that personal interest is also a prejudicial interest then the Member must
withdraw from the room in which the meeting is being held and not seek improperly to
influence any decision about the matter. Council has adopted clause 12(2) of the Model
Code of Conduct for Parish Councils 2007 and anyone with a prejudicial interest will
be permitted to address Council during the section set aside for public participation.
29. Minutes of the meeting held on 3rd April, 2012
To approve the minutes as a correct record of the proceedings.
30. Matters arising from the Minutes of the meetings held on 3rd April, 2012
The responsibility for ditch clearance rests with the owner, however the District
Council has powers to take action under land drainage legislation to require land
owners to take action to clear ditches where the District Council recognises that there
are flooding problems. The Environment Agency becomes involved should
there be pollution in the ditch.
Chapel Lane / High Street – path
The clerk has been able to confirm that the path queried at the last meeting is a public
footpath on the definitive map of the County Council.
RAF Benson – Helicopters – Update
The clerk is actively pursuing the matter of trying to arrange a meeting with RAF
Benson to discuss helicopters. Three different people at RAF Benson have been
approached. Unfortunately with a change in the media/public relations staff, past
correspondence has been referred to another officer.
31. Public Participation
An opportunity for the public to bring parish matters to the attention of the Council.
32. County Councillor’s Report
To receive a report on County Council matters from Cllr. S. Lilly.
33. District Councillor’s Report
To receive a report on District Council matters from Cllr. G. Duffield.
34. WRG Liaison Committee 23rd April, 2012
To receive a report from Cllr. Mrs. Atkinson on this meeting which she attended.
35. WRG landfill Site – Rights of Way network
To consider any Parish Council comments on the suggested plan of Oxfordshire County
Council to improvements to waymarking of the rights of way network on and in the
vicinity of the WRG landfill site.
36. Solar panels on roofs
To consider the impact on the street scene of the increasing number of properties
installing solar panels. To consider any Parish Council action.
37. Matters raised by Councillors for information
38. Police Matters
39. Planning Applications
a) Decisions on previous applications
b) Applications dealt with prior to the meeting
P12/V0787/LB Form internal opening between kitchen and dining room
10 Church Street
For: Mr. T. Duckham
Comments: Council had no objection
P12/V0791/LB Replace 4 windows and external door with new joinery
10 Church Street
For: Mr. T. Duckham
Comments: Council had no objection in principle to the proposal, but stated that
it would like to see the historic character of the front elevation retained
c) Applications for consideration at the meeting
12/V0615/ZZZ Conversion of part of outbuilding to granny annexe
5 Hobbyhorse Lane
For: Mr. F. and Mrs. R. Slatter
P12/V0646/ZZZ Erection of end terrace house
6 Abingdon Road
For: Ms. J. Lister
40. RWEnPower – Liaison Committee 2nd April, 2012
To receive a report from Cllr. Hanks who attended this meeting.
41. Didcot growth and Science/Vale area
To note that South Oxfordshire District Council and Vale of White Horse District
Council, as reported by Cllr. Hanks in his report from the Didcot Community Forum
meeting, are encouraging the submission of views on how the Didcot “A” power station
site should be developed once the station is decommissioned.
To consider any Parish Council views as to potential future uses of the “A” station.
(deferred from last meeting).
42. Recreation Ground
a) To receive the report on the condition of the play equipment/recreation ground –
weekly inspection by Council.
c) To appoint the play area inspection person for the next month.
43. Matters arising from the annual meeting with electors
Information to parishioners
To consider communication with residents and distribution of Parish Council
information in the parish, and whether there are ways of improving and developing this.
44. Neighbourhood Plans
To note that the Localism Act 2011 provides for the possibility to undertake a
neighbourhood plan, which if progressed to a neighbourhood development order will
form part of the local planning framework.
To consider whether the Parish Council should investigate the possibility of the
development of a neighbourhood plan.
45. South Oxfordshire Local Development Framework
To consider a letter from the core strategy programme officer asking whether or not the
core strategy reflects the presumption in favour of sustainable development in the
National Planning Policy Framework, and if not whether the inclusion of a model
policy would secure consistency.
To consider Parish Council comments
46. Thames Valley Fire Control Service – consultation
To consider Parish Council comments on the proposed merger of the control room
facilities of the Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service with that of Royal Berkshire.
Consultation document at www.oxfordshire.gov.uk under consultations.
a) Oxfordshire Association of Local Councils – Update
b) To note correspondence from the Vale of White Horse District Council that the
Council is working with MEPC to put in place a Local Development Order at Milton
Park as part of the Science Vale UK Enterprise Zone initiative. MEPC will be
organising a meeting to brief the Parish Council on its proposals. A formal
consultation will follow when a draft order will be published for comment.
c) Oxfordshire County Council – Dial a Ride Service
From April 2012 the dial a ride service was taken over by the County Council’s
integrated transport unit. The service for this area remains the same.
a) To approve summary receipts and payments accounts for 2011/2012
b) To approve accounts for payment as per list circulated to members
49 Date of Next Meeting.
The next meeting will take place on Tuesday 29th May, 2012
Wilts and Berks Canal Group - Dragonfly Magazine
Oxfordshire Playing Fields Association – The Playing Field magazine
Notes on Declaration of Interest
(i) any Member arriving after the start of the meeting is asked to declare personal interests as
necessary as soon as practicable after his/her arrival even if the item in question has been
(ii) it is not practical to offer detailed advice during the meeting on whether or not a personal
interest should be declared, or whether a personal interest should also be regarded as