Introducing the Double Bass
• The big bass
• The double bass
• The elephant
• The Stand-up
• The bass fiddle
• NOT THE CELLO
A quick history of the big bass
• Although there has ALWAYS been a low
instrument in any music, the dbl dates
back to the mid-1500’s
• Originally an orchestral instrument, but
was tough to hear. Usually needed a few
instruments to be heard above high strings
• Steel strings and modernization has made
the bass more versatile in the modern era.
– Major element in folk, jazz, big
band…anything that needs to swing!
– As the bass has found it’s voice, written music
has become more complicated and will now
actually feature the bass. Pretty cool.
The Bass is the BASE
• No band can survive without a bass.
– Connects the melody with the harmony
– Connects the rhythm section with the front
– The bass can provide support in both treble
and bass clef
So what’s my job as a jazz bassist?
• Set the tone / mood in a song.
• Maintain or steer a tempo w/ other rhythm
• ‘Walk’ the line
• Play a melody (at times)
Building the Walking Line
And now for a demo
• First chorus – Back it up…support the
• Second chorus – Walk it
• Third chorus – solo