STUDY GUIDE – Chapter 7: Foreign Affairs in the
I strongly suggest you cross-reference your notes with your
book in finding the answers to this study guide! Also, look
through all of the HW, CW, DQ, etc. that were assigned for
the chapter, so that you are well prepared for your test.
1. pirates 2. privateers 3. neutral rights
Very Important Places, Events, Agreements, Etc.
1. Adams-Onis 4. Texas 8. Monroe Doctrine
Treaty 5. War of 1812 9. Washington, D.C.
2. “Old Ironsides” 6. Fort McHenry
3. Embargo Act of 7. Battle of
VIP (Very Important People)
1. Miguel Hidalgo 5. Oliver Hazard Perry 9. Francis Scott Key
2. Federalist Party 6. Simon Bolivar 10. Tecumseh
3. Andrew Jackson 7. Prophet 11. War Hawks
4. John Calhoun 8. John Quincy Adams
Know and understand what caused the US to declare war on Britain.
Know and understand how the Americans faired early in the War of
Know and understand the message of President James Monroe’s Inaugural
Know and understand what led to the success of the Barbary pirates.
Know and understand what gave the British the upper hand in battle
against the Americans in 1814
Know and understand why Americans wanted to settle on Mexican
Know and understand why John Quincy Adams settled disputes with Great
Know and understand how Tecumseh dealt with white settlers on his
Know and understand what was gained in the outcome of the War of 1812
(economically, politically, etc.)
Know and understand what inspired Latin Americans to fight for
Know and understand whom the US indirectly declared war against when
we declared war against Britain.
Know and understand what music became inspirational during the attack
on Fort McHenry.