Study guide for Europe post-test 2011
• List at least 2 examples of Romance languages.
• List 3 ways that the governments of Germany, Russia, and the United Kingdom are alike.
• What have Europeans done to try to solve the problem of so many languages being spoken on the
• In which form of government would the fewest number of people be involved in making the rule of law?
• How is power distributed in a unitary government?
• Which European government is a constitutional monarchy, a parliamentary democracy, and a unitary
• In which type of economy do individuals have the most freedom?
• What part of the Treaty of Versailles was most damaging to the German economy after World War I?
• Which country was the leader of the Eastern Bloc?
• Which were two terms used to describe the dividing line between eastern and western, communist and
noncommunist areas during the Cold War?
• Why is it important for a country to invest in human capital?
• What geographic condition helped the United Kingdom become a leader in world trade?
• Why would a company spend money to buy new machines for its factories rather than continue to use
older machines that were still working?
• What is the main reason the European Union was created?
• Give an example of investing in physical capital by a company.
• What environmental disaster occurred in 1986 in Chernobyl, Ukraine?
• Which European language uses the Cyrillic alphabet - German or Russian?
• How has Italy’s geography helped its merchants become successful traders?
• Be able to locate the Alps Mountains, Pyrenees Mountains, Ural Mountains, the Iberian Peninsula, the
Scandinavian Peninsula, the North European Plain, the Rhine River, and the English Channel on a map of
• What is the sacred text for the religion of Christianity?
• What is literacy?
What type of job choice and salary is a literate adult in Europe likely to have?
• What type of government did Czar Nicholas II have in Russia?
• What is a main reason for people to exchange currency?
• Why might an embargo against a country NOT be successful?
• Put the following events in the order in which they happened.
1. Hitler was named chancellor of Germany.
2. Germany invaded Poland.
3. Germans were unhappy because of high unemployment and poverty.
4. France and Great Britain declared war on Germany.
• How does having natural resources help the economy of a country?
• Describe two causes of the Russian Revolution.
• What actions did the United Nations take as a result of the Holocaust?
• Put the following events in the order in which they occurred.
1. The Spanish conquered the Aztecs and the Incas.
2. The Pope sent Europeans to remove Muslims from the Holy Land.
3. Christopher Columbus explored the Bahamas.
4. Spain controlled the Philippines.
• What marked the end of the Cold War?
• Why is the British Commonwealth called a confederation?
• Be able to locate the United Kingdom, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Poland, Ukraine, and Russia on a
map of Europe.
• Give an example of human capital.
• Give an example of an entrepreneur.
• Why did Prince Henry the navigator want to send ships south to Africa?
• Which religion did Prince Henry the Navigator hope to spread?
• What type of people were the first British colonists in Australia?
• How did nationalism play a part in Europe’s competition to colonize Africa and Asia?
• Which country’s unification led to the collapse of the Soviet Union?
• What was the largest country created from the former Soviet Union?
• What religion has the largest number of followers in Europe?
• In what way are the prime minister and the president alike in a democratic government?
• Who has the most government power in the parliamentary system?