Are you interested in studying abroad?
Have you considered working as an RA while you
RA / ACADEMIC EXCHANGE AGREEMENT
Since 1990, the University of Texas and the Monterrey Institute of Technology have
participated in week-long Resident Assistant exchanges. The short visits allowed
participants the opportunity to learn about different residence hall systems along with
experiencing the customs and culture of Mexico.
In 1999, UT and ITESM expanded the exchange program to include semester long work and
academic opportunities. As part of the general Agreement of Academic and Scientific
Cooperation between UT and ITESM, the department of Residence Life at the University of
Texas is authorized to send up to two Resident Assistants per semester to ITESM.
The purpose of this agreement is to institute a semester long Resident Assistant and
academic exchange between the two institutions. This exchange will provide student
participants an opportunity to work as a Resident Assistant in ITESM's residence halls, and
study in and benefit from the academic and cultural environment of the other institution.
Under the same agreement, The University of Texas will host Resident Assistants from the
Monterrey Institute of Technology.
The exchange is open to eligible Resident Assistants from the University of Texas and
Monterrey Institute of Technology. The exchange shall be limited to two resident
assistants (one male - one female) from each institution per fall and spring semester.
Resident Assistants from UT will be selected in accordance with the below requirements:
Note: When multiple individuals apply for the same semester, consideration will be given to the
date that the RA expresses interest in the program, the date the RA forwards the completed
requirements, the recommendation of the RA’s supervisor, Spanish language proficiency and
participation with the week-long RA exchange program hosted by UT and/or participation in the
exchange program to ITESM.
Study Abroad Program Requirements: Residence Life Requirements:
1) To be eligible for the RA/Academic Exchange 1) To be eligible for the RA/Academic exchange, you
between UT and ITESM, you must first apply must be in good academic and disciplinary
and be accepted through the Study Abroad standing. (Minimum 2.5 GPA)
2) The Study Abroad Program requires individuals to 2) By the start of the exchange program, you must
attend an information session and submit the have a minimum of two semesters of Resident
completed application by: Assistant experience (summer term counts as 1 full
March 1 Fall Semester
October 1 Spring Semester 3) Participants are expected to have Spanish language
3) Information about Study Abroad Requirements can 4) By March 1 - Fall Semester, October 1- Spring
be obtained by calling the Study Abroad Office at Semester, submit to the Associate Director of
471-6490, or visiting the following website: Residence life a letter of interest, a reference letter
from your supervisor, and a copy of the essay and
www.utexas.edu/student/abroad relevant experience required with your study
ITESM will be responsible for The RA participant will be responsible
- A double room (w/ roommate) and board for each - Travel to and from Monterrey Institute of Technology.
participating UT Resident Assistant.
- Attending scheduled Fall/ Spring training workshops.
- Ninety minutes of free local telephone service per
month. - Medical insurance (exchange students will be required
to purchase medical insurance at the host institution
- Laundry service, maid service and basic medical unless they can present evidence of coverage).
services for the Resident Assistant.
- Subsistence costs.
(participating RA's will not receive monetary
compensation from ITESM) - Tuition and fees.
- Monterrey Tech RAs must be eligible for “J-1” Visa - Passport
University of Texas at Austin Monterrey Institute of Technology
Dr. Doug Garrard Ing. Reynold Lizcano
Associate Director, Residence Life Director General de Residencias
200 W. Dean Keeton Street E. Garza Sada 2501 Sur
Austin, TX 78713-7666 C.P. 65859
Monterrey, N.L. Mexico
512-232-2898 011-52-83-58-2000 ext. 3560
Overview of Process
1) RA expresses interest and contacts Doug Garrard.
2) RA completes Study Abroad and Res. Life requirements and submits by deadline.
3) RA receives written approval from Study Abroad and forwards to Doug Garrard
4) Doug Garrard contacts the Housing Director at Monterrey Institute of Technology and
5) Doug Garrard sends written confirmation of participation in the program
6) RA confirms plans to return or not return to UT RA staff before departing on exchange
Still interested? Contact Doug Garrard to express your interest and
address any additional questions you may have.