Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology
(An Autonomous Institute of DST, Govt. of India)
33, GMS Road, Dehra Dun – 248 001 UTTARAKHAND (INDIA)
Name Dr. Rajita Shukla
Designation P.I. , WoS-A Project, D.S.T.
Specialization Precambrian Palaeobiology
Phone 0135-2525266; 09456182565
Email/URL firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
PhD. 1999, Geology, University of Lucknow, Lucknow
MSc. 1993, Geology, University of Lucknow, Lucknow
Oct.2008-for 3 years – P.I. under Women Scientist Scheme (WOS-A) of DST.
2006-2007 – Project Fellow in DST project at M.S. University of Baroda, Vadodara.
2002-2005 – Teaching Undergraduates at BSNV P.G. College, Lucknow .
2001-2002 - Teaching at Post-Graduate and Undergraduate levels at DBS P.G. College, Dehradun.
1998-1999 – Senior Research Fellowship (SRF) of CSIR at Lucknow University.
1996-1997 - Junior Research Fellowship(JRF) of CSIR at Lucknow University-
Several Fellowships from DST & CSIR.
Evolution of life in the Proterozoic and evolutionary changes across the Neoproterozoic –Phanerozoic transition.
Acritarchs as proxies to understand evolutionary trends and generate biostratigraphic zonation data for the
Academic Visits Abroad
1. Desai, B.G.; Patel, S.J.; Shukla, R. and Surve, D. (2008). Analysis of Ichnoguilds and their significance in
interpreting Ichnological Events: A study from Jhuran Formation (Upper Jurassic), Western Kachchh. Jour.
Geol. Soc. India; v. 72(4); pp. 458-466.
2. Patel, S.J.; Desai, B.G.; Vaidya, A.D. and Shukla, R. (2008). Middle Jurassic Trace Fossils from Habo Dome,
Mainland Kachchh, Western India. Jour. Geol Soc. India; v. 71(3); pp. 345-362.
3. Rai, V. and Gautam, R. (1999) (Comment). Evaluating evidence of ancient animals. Science; v. 284 (5418); p.
4. Rai, V. and Gautam, R. (1998) Discovery of silicified microfossils from the Khatpul Formation, Shali Group
(Neoproterozoic), H.P., India. Current Science; v. 74(6); pp. 541-545.
5. Rai, V. and Gautam, R. (1998) New occurrences of carbonaceous megafossils from the Meso to
Neoproterozoic horizons of Vindhyan Supergroup, Kaimur-Katni araea, Madhya Pradesh, India.
Geophytology, v. 26(2); pp. 13-25.
6. Rai, V., Singh, A.K., Kumar, M. and Gautam, R. (1997) Discovery of Trace Fossils from the Tons Valley
section of Dharagad Group (? Mesoproterozoic), Inner Sedimentary Belt, Lesser Himalaya, India. Jour.
Palaeont. Soc. India, v. 42, pp. 71-80.
7. Rai, V., Shukla, M. and Gautam, R. (1997) Discovery of carbonaceous megafossils (Chuaria-Tawuia
assemblage) from Neoproterozoic Vindhyan succession (Rewa Group), Allahabad-Rewa area, India. Current
Science, v. 73(9), pp. 783-788.
8. Gautam, R. and Rai, V. (1997). Branched microbiota from the bedded black cherts of the Krol Formation
(Neoproterozoic), Lesser Himalaya, India. Palaeobotanist, v. 46 (1); pp. 32-40.