OLASITI ORPHANS PROJECT
FIELD REPORT & REVIEW - DECEMBER 2005
The Olasiti project has started in September 2004, gained a new momentum in September 2005 and is on going
program. The project includes Organic farming, school buildings rehabilitation, Orphans support, HIV/AIDS &
reproduction health awareness and Environmental empowerment. It is supported by Friends of African’s
Children through the Dorobo Fund as registered Trustees.
Geographical Area of the Project
The project is in Olasiti Village, situated S 03 23. 724’ and E 036. 37.983’ south –west from Arusha town. The
altitude ranges from 1200 to 1400. The average rainfall four years ago ranged from 1400mm to 1000mm but
gradually declined to 550mm annually. The rain is real unpredictable and varies from year to year. This affects
villagers in different ways.
Villagers - General
70% of the villagers are native people [Arusha Maasai] and the rest present 30% are migrants into the village.
Some migrants have permanent settlements and other are temporarily staying in the village due to their current
reasons. The village still face high migrant’s people.
Due to national last Censer of 2002 Olasiti, the village’s population was 6,248; this population increases so
rapidly due to unplanned birth control and high immigration into the village. Immigration is greater than
emigrations and birth rate exceeds sustainability of resources.
Size of the Village
9936.7 square hectares [around 35s kms]. The village is divided into five sub-villages each comprises more than
There is government leadership and traditional leadership. Note the Arusha Maasai is the pre-dominantly ethnic
group and they have their own system of leadership which is accepted by the general community and
Major Economic Activities
Agriculture makes 80%, 6% are either employed or merchants and 14% are casual labourers.
One dispensary, three schools, seasonal roads, tape water supply not very active due to population pressure, one
reservoir and electric power supply by 15%.
Diseases in the area
Malaria, typhoid and others but more people are vulnerable to HIV/AIDS leaving the kids as orphans.
Number of the orphans in the working area: 416 [105 kids lost both parents, 311 kids lost one parent particularly
OLASITI ORPHAN PROJECT ACHIEVEMENTS
We have initiated, trained and supported:
- ORPHAN CLUBS:
o Orphans Arts Club [OAC]
o Organic Farming
o AIDS Club
o Birding Club
o English Club
- Olasiti “Women’s Maendeleo Working Group” which facilitates Organic farming,
AIDS awareness, family planning, and women’s empowerment.
- We have improved the schools infrastructure like to initiate to build teacher’s houses
and desks to four schools [Burka, Olasiti, Mateves and Murongoine]
- Supplying different school supplies to kids and school administrations. Most of the
supplies were from Dorobo Safari’s community based conservation program. Two
orphans: school uniforms and food were included.
- Conducting workshops about AIDS awareness, Family Planning, farming and
- It was easier to cooperate with other NGOs for helping the kids. [UHAI Centre,
Global Service Corps and UMATI]
- Six orphans in my working area have passed their final exams and have selected to
join secondary education.
- Providing counseling and food to orphans.
- Making follow up on orphan’s school performance.
- Solving conflicts between orphans to orphans and orphans to relatives/community.
“Without perfect life skills the earth will come up on us, with a perfect life skill we will come
up on the earth. The elephants learn different life skills from parents to survive this fragile
planet and once parents die they still learn and cared from others individuals of the same
I would like to thank all of you who donated/contributed/volunteered their time in this
project. “May God bless you and the kids we are helping.”
Reported by Zenan Gasper