Tier 4 Guide for
Who can help with your visa questions
The Admissions Team at INTO Manchester have been trained in the rules
and regulations of Tier 4 visas, so we are able to help you with any questions
you may have.
All the information we give to you can be found on the UK Border Agency
(UKBA) website so if you are ever unsure and want to double check any
information you have been given you can do so.
These lovely people are always happy to help answer your questions?
Nicola Francis He Hui Ling
Admissions Team Leader Student Services officer
Keeley Ansell Adrienne Tighe
Student Services officer Student Services officer
You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or make an
appointment with reception
UK Border Agency website
You can find all information you need about immigration and Tier 4 visas on
Tier 4 application form
This is where you can find the Tier 4 application form for renewing your visa
along with the information about your photographs and help text to help you
complete the form/
UK council for International Student affairs (UKCISA)
This is a really useful website and makes the immigration rules and Tier 4
rules much easier to understand. You can also call UKCISA for advise on
your immigration status. Please see the website for the details
Video Link Tier 4 application form
Video link for helping you complete your visa application.
This video was made by our Lena our Marketing Officer. It talks you through
the Tier 4 application form step by step so please have a listening when you
are completing your form as it will help you.
Protecting your Immigration Status
There are also some requirements and obligations related to the immigration
rules, and related to your studies and your Tier 4 sponsor, plus some general
good practice for protecting and maintaining your Tier 4 status.
• Check if you need to register with the police, this will be stated on your
visa. If you fail to comply with a condition to register with the police or to
notify them of changes, the UK Border Agency can refuse future
immigration application or remove you from the UK if you do not comply
with it properly. You might be barred from returning to the UK for a certain
period. If you are unsure please ask a member of staff
• Check your work conditions. This will also be found on your visa.
– Please do not work if your visa says you cannot.
– Please do not work more hours than your visa states
– If you think there is a mistake with your working hours please see
a member of the Admissions team.
• Apply for your new visa in time. Every visa has an end date please make
sure if you have a Tier 4 student visa you apply before it ends. This is
• Do not claim public funds
• Open a UK bank account that will send you printed bank statements.
This will help when it comes to reapplying for your visa
• Keep copies of all your documents
• If you change any of your details such as your address you must inform
• ATTEND YOUR COURSE – If you do not attend INTO may have to
report you to the UKBA and this could affect your UK immigration status
in the future.
Working during your studies
If you have a TIER 4 student visa you may be able to work during your
If you study
• International Diploma
• A levels
Working during your studies should be possible for up to 10 hours per week
and full time during holidays.
If you study Graduate Diploma or any English programme you will not be able
If you have a Student Visitor Visa you cannot work in the UK.
The UK immigration authorities treat work restrictions very seriously. They
can refuse your immigration application, or remove you from the UK, if you
work too many hours or if you do work which you are not allowed to do. You
will have to declare what work you have done on future immigration
applications, and if you have breached the condition, you might be barred
from returning to the UK for a certain period.
Please check your visa and if you are unsure or think there is a mistake
please speak to the Admissions team
Change of circumstances
If you change any of your personal details whilst in the UK. This could be
things such as your address or your name. You need to inform the UKBA
If you have a visa stamp in your passport. You can do this by completing the
Migrant Change of Circumstances form
If you have a Biometric residence permit . You can do this by completing the
Biometric card replacement Form
You must also report your change of circumstance to;
• INTO Manchester, we need to keep a copy of your current contact
• the police, if you have a Police Registration Certificate
• your official financial sponsor, if you have one
• your home country's Embassy or High Commission, if they require it.
For practical purposes, we advise you also inform your bank, your doctor's
surgery, your insurance companies, and if you have a driving licence the
If you are unsure how to do this please make an appointment to speak to the
Things INTO Manchester need to do to ensure
they remain compliant with the UKBA regulations.
INTO Manchester must report to the UKBA
• Any Tier 4 students who fail to enrol on time without explanation.
• If a student misses 10 'expected contacts' on their course of study
without being granted reasonable permission.
• Any student for who INTO Manchester withdraw sponsorship for any
• Any Tier 4 students who stops studying at INTO Manchester
permanently/temporarily. In these situations INTO Manchester will ask
students to provide evidence that they are leaving the UK or going to
study at another college or University
• Any significant changes to the your situatio. For example, if your
course length shortens, or you change your course INTO Manchester
must inform the UKBA
• If there are any significant changes in our circumstances (for example, if
we stop trading or become insolvent, substantially change the nature of
your business, are involved in a merger or are taken over), we must tell
the UKBA within 28 calendar days.
• We must also send the UKBA details of any third party or intermediary,
in the UK or abroad, that helped us students.
• Report any students we reasonably believe to be in breach of their visa
INTO Manchester must report most changes within 10 working days of the
event in question, and give the UKBA the name and address of any new
institution that the student has joined if we know it.
What Documents INTO Manchester need to keep
• Copy of all student’s passport pages showing all personal identity
• Copy of the student’s United Kingdom Biometric Card.
• A copy of your police registration certificate.
• Record of the student’s absence/attendance, this may be kept either
electronically or manually.
• A history of the student’s contact details (United Kingdom residential
address, telephone number, mobile telephone number). This must be
• Copies (or originals where possible) of any evidence assessed by you
as part of the process of making an offer to the student. For example
copies of references, examination certificates etc.
• If a student withdraws from their studies we must have a record of why
they are leaving. Evidence that they are leaving the UK if this is the
case or a letter from a new college or University that you may be
If you are asked to provide any of these documents please ensure that you
do. INTO Manchester must have copies of these documents in your student
Applying for your visa
The Admissions team understand that applying for your visa can be a
stressful time. However we are here to help.
Here are some tips which you may find useful
• Give yourself enough time to apply. The UKBA recommend that you
start getting your documents for your visa application ready around 3
months before your visa expires. Keep a note in your Diary three
months before your visa expires so you can start to get your application
• Don’t panic. If you have given yourself enough time to apply there is no
need to panic.
• Complete your form and have your documents ready before you see
the Admissions team
• Attend the drop in sessions and check the visa board for up to date
• If you not sure about anything check the UKBA website or speak to the
• Smile. Smiling is much better than frowning and can make any
situation seem better. We are always here to help so please don’t
Your visa is your responsibility so you must remember when your visa ends.
We cannot complete your visa forms for you this must be done by you,
however we can check it and help you with anything you are unsure about.