What is a plastic?
What are the problems with
throwing away plastic?
• Watch Ms G do the demo again.
• How do we explain what is happening in
• When the two ingredients are added in the
correct order, they react to form a
Making models of polymers
• To make a model of the nylon polymer
from the demo, one person should add
paperclips of alternating colour, whilst the
other person extends the chain away from
• What do the different colour paperclips
Time to be famous…
• Make a 2-3 minute film teaching someone what a
• Use the paper clips as props
• Use the whiteboards and pens for captions
• Speak clearly!
• Keywords: polymer, monomer, polymerisation,
• Start with “a plastic is also called a polymer”
• Don’t forget to include the problems with throwing
away plastic! (made from oil, oil running out, uses
lots of energy making plastic, people don’t recycle
Evaluate your film
• What was good about it?
• What could have been better?
• What would you need (props etc) to
improve it further?