RMD-IAI BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Document Sample
RMD-IAI BOARD OF DIRECTORS Powered By Docstoc
					   THE NEXT MEETING HAS BEEN SCHEDULED FOR:

Thursday, January 31, 2008 at 12:00 noon
         Enter Meeting Location
                             ROCKY MOUNTAIN DIVISION
                                   OF THE
             INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR IDENTIFICATION



                           RMD-IAI BOARD OF DIRECTORS
                            MINUTES FROM THE MEETING
                                 January 31, 2008
                           Douglas County Sheriff’s Office



 I.    CALL TO ORDER
       The meeting was called to order at 12:02 pm by Chairman Jan LeMay.
       Attending the meeting were Chairman Jan LeMay, President Chris Loptien, Vice
       President Andrea “Andi” Smith, Treasurer Wendy Kipple, Executive
       Secretary/Editor Angie Fisher, Membership Secretary Julie Kovats Fulton,
       Webmaster Kathy Harding, Directors Brenda Harris, Rebecca Shaw, Mitzi
       Staufer and Jody Murphy. Historian Anthony Antuna and Regional
       Representative Tom Griffin were excused from the meeting.

II.    READING OF THE MINUTES FROM THE LAST MEETING
       Julie Kovats Fulton moved to approve the minutes from the November 27, 2007
       meeting as submitted. Rebecca Shaw seconded the motion and it passed
       unanimously.

III.   CORRESPONDENCE
       Secretary Fisher received a letter from Jon Stimac, Editor of the IAI’s bi-
       monthly publication, Identification News. The letter explains that this is a new
       publication and Mr. Stimac is requesting that each Division send him
       “significant news, awards, events, achievements, presentations and/or bylaws
       additions…Start promoting your Division by sending me the happenings within
       your IAI Chapter!”

       Angie Fisher submitted the Wyoming Annual Non Profit Corporation paperwork
       and delinquent fees for 2007, as well as updating 2008. Colorado Non Profit
       documentation and Colorado tax exempt documentation should also be due,
       but she has not received any notices.

IV.    TREASURER’S REPORT
       Wendy Kipple submitted written cash flow and account balance reports. These
       reports showed that the Division checking account has a balance of $4988.33.
       This is the balance after Wendy made a $3000.00 transfer to the Scudder
        account. She also reports that dues renewals are steadily coming in and she
        may need to make another transfer to the Scudder account, as the balance of
        the checking account should be maintained at below $5000.00. She also
        transferred $1227.55 to the Ramsey Tuition fund – the balance is now $1089.16.

        It was discussed that there is no real budget plan in place. President Loptien
        suggested that each Officer and Director review his/her job duties and send an
        estimate of expenditures for the year to Wendy. These expenses will be
        discussed at the next meeting. These expenses should not include anything
        related to the conference.

V.      HISTORIAN’S REPORT
        No report.

VI.     EDITOR’S REPORT
        Angie Fisher reported that the first Edition of the year is nearly complete and
        will be emailed to the Board as directed. The Business Edition is nearly
        complete and she will wait until May to place the most updated Membership
        Roster in the Edition.

        The Business Edition will be fairly expensive to print and mail. She received
        information from the USPS regarding the non-profit/bulk rate mailing costs and
        will look into the cost effectiveness of renewing the non-profit stamp.

VII.    REGIONAL REPRESENTATIVE’S REPORT
        Tom Griffin submitted a written report. He reports that he reviewed and
        recommended IAI membership for Brittany Boltman from Ft. Collins PD. No
        applications are pending.

        Treasurer Kipple reported that 7.5% of unrestricted funds equals $1439.96.
        This is the amount that the RMD will offer to Representative Griffin as a
        stipend to attend the IAI conference.

VIII.   WEBMASTER’S REPORT
        Kathy Harding reported she has removed the on-line membership application
        however; dues renewals can still be done on-line through pay-pal.

IX.     COMMITTEE REPORTS
        A.   AUDIT COMMITTEE
             No report.

        B.    MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE
              One (1) application for membership was received.
              Gerald Porter – Weld County Sheriff’s Office
     Brenda Harris moved to accept the above named as an active member.
     Kathy Harding seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.

     Julie Kovats Fulton contacted Jack Swanburg regarding the printing of
     the Lifetime Member cards. Jack would like to continue printing the
     cards and will work with Julie to complete them. Four (4) members will
     achieve Lifetime Membership status this year; however two of them
     have also been Past Presidents.

C.   LATENT PRINT CERTIFICATION COMMITTEE
     Carolyn Barker submitted a written report explaining that the committee
     proctored one (1) test on January 18, 2008. She also reported that since
     November 26, 2007 the committee received the final portions of three
     (3) applicants’ certification tests.
     The committee would like to remind members about the new
     requirement for recertification. The new form can be found on the IAI
     website under Latent Print Certification. This reminder will also be
     added to the Silent Witness.

D.   CRIME SCENE CERTIFICATION COMMITTEE
     No report. Angie Fisher spoke with Tom Adair regarding the pre-
     scheduling of testing. At this time, Tom would prefer to proctor tests as
     they are requested. None have been scheduled.

E.   RESOLUTION COMMITTEE
     No report. Angie Fisher asked if anyone knew of a central location for
     all of the yearly resolutions. She will research old records and form a
     manual containing all resolutions.

F.   PHOTOGRAPHY CERTIFICATION COMMITTEE
     Jan LeMay reports that he will be proctoring a test for a non-member
     from South Dakota on February 18, 2008.

     Chris Loptien asked if a web based photography contest could be done.
     Kathy Harding and Jan LeMay will work on this contest idea with an
     award to be presented at the conference.

G.   POLICY COMMITTEE
     No report.

H.   JIMMY C. RAMSEY TRAINING REIMBURSEMENT COMMITTEE
     Chris Loptien reported that there have been no applications thus far and
     $1227.55 was transferred into the account.
     I.    BODY ID TEAM
           Wendy Kipple advised that the Body ID Team will be re-formed. She will
           serve as chair of the committee and Don Heer and Pat Schonberger will
           be the other members of the committee. They will be meeting soon to
           discuss policies, inventory, training, etc…
           There was some discussion regarding budget concerns. Wendy will also
           take those concerns to the committee meeting.

X.   OLD BUSINESS
     A.   Representatives from other organizations
          1.    RMABPA – The next meeting will be held on March 6, 2008 at
                Thornton PD.

           2.    CAUG – Bob Patterson (Lakewood PD), Dennis Davenport
                 (Commerce City PD) and Chris Pardo (Westminster PD) have been
                 selected as the new board. No meetings have been scheduled.

           3.    COFFIN – The next meeting will be held on February 12, 2008 at
                 Littleton PD.

     B.    Spring Conference
           Jan LeMay reported that the Spring Conference has been tentatively
           scheduled for June 3, 4 and 5 at the Holiday Inn Select at E470 and
           South Parker Road. The conference is titled Trace Evidence: Little
           Pieces to the Big Puzzle and will be presented by SIFS and CBI, sponsored
           by the RMDIAI.

     C.    Fall Conference
           Several members met with the CAPET board regarding a combined Fall
           Conference. The date for the conference may need to be changed to
           October 15-17, and will tentatively be located at the Colorado Springs
           Doubletree Hotel, however there have been staffing issues there and
           Steamboat Springs would really like to work with us. A planning meeting
           has been scheduled for 10:00, March 11, 2008 at Broomfield PD. Dates
           and locations will be formally announced after that meeting.

           Several ideas were discussed: for example, have no banquet, but have
           the vendors host a hospitality night. Vendors would offer beverages and
           hors d’oeuvres and be available to showcase their products.
           Logistics regarding lunches and business meetings will be discussed at
           the planning meeting. Several speakers and topics were discussed:
           retired FBI profiler, the Tim Masters case, CBI – DNA, back to basics,
           roundtable with CSI’s and property/evidence – why we do what we do.
      D.   New Mexico Annexation
           Jan LeMay had received a letter from the New Mexico Crime Laboratory
           with questions regarding the New Mexico Annexation. He replied to the
           letter, answered all questions and explained that only five (5) IAI
           members needed to send letters and he has received no response since
           then. It was suggested that he contact Joe Schiel from NM State Patrol,
           he may be able to talk to other members and have them sign letters.

      E.   2009 Conference
           It was again discussed that we may want to have a joint conference with
           NWAFS which is set to be in Fort Collins and will help celebrate the 25 th
           Anniversary of Necrosearch.

      F.   Further discussion regarding duties, job assignments and inventory of all
           software, documents and supplies took place. It was suggested that a
           Board of Directors Only page be set up on the website. The descriptions
           of each board position will be in this area. Each board member was
           asked to perform a thorough inventory of all items received from their
           predecessor. Any forms, letters, logos and other documents will be
           placed in the appropriate section on the site. All information can stay
           up-to-date and in a reusable digital format. If any member feels
           overwhelmed with the amount of information they need to organize, a
           special working meeting could be scheduled to assist them.

           There was also discussion about digitizing (scanning) the scrapbooks and
           any other historical information and have a separate “Yearbook” type
           page on the website. Again, members were willing to assist with
           scanning and organizing this information as necessary.

XI.   NEW BUSINESS

      A.   Rebecca Shaw moved to accept the nomination of Tom Adair to receive
           the Jay Jensen Memorial Award. Brenda Harris seconded the motion and
           it passed unanimously. The award will be presented at the conference.

      B.   The International Association of Bloodstain Pattern Analysts will be
           having their annual conference in Boulder on October 7-10, 2008.

           The Association for Crime Scene Reconstruction will be having their
           annual conference in Denver in February 2009.

           The American Academy of Forensic Sciences will be having their annual
           conference in Denver on February 16-21, 2009.
XII.    NEXT MEETING
        The next meeting will be:

              Thursday, January 31, 2008, at twelve noon, at the Enter Meeting
              Location.

XIII.   ADJOURNMENT
        Brenda Harris moved to adjourn the meeting. Wendy Kipple seconded the
        motion and it passed unanimously. The meeting was adjourned at 2:56 pm.

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:5
posted:10/5/2012
language:English
pages:7