How many people live here?
Where are the people?
1. China ~1.3 billion 6. Pakistan ~177 million
2. India ~1.1 billion 7. Bangladesh ~158
3. U. S. ~310 million million
4. Indonesia ~242 mil. 8. Nigeria ~152 million
5. Brazil ~201 million 9. Russia ~139 million
10. Japan ~126 million
Cool Population Facts
• 3/5 (60%) of the world lives in Asia
• 1/5 (20%) of the world lives in China
• 90% of the world live in the Northern
• The world has 2.2 billion children
(that’s 1/3 of the population)
Geographers also use population density—
the average number of people living in an
Population density includes size of its
country, size of its population, and its
Canada has a population density of 8
persons per square mile
Bangladesh is 2,361 persons per
How would you explain this in terms of
Which countries have the
highest population density?
Emigrants—people who leave a country to
live somewhere else (EXIT)
Immigrants—people who come into a new
country to live (INTO)
What does the future hold?
1804: World reaches 1 billion
• 123 years later…
1927: World reaches 2 billion
• 33 years later…
1960: World reaches 3 billion
• 14 years later…
1974: World reaches 4 billion
• 13 years later…
1987: World reaches 5 billion
1999: Population reaches 6 billion
It is estimated that we will hit 7 billion in
2012 (now it will be Oct. 2011)
8 billion by 2025
And 9 billion by 2050
• 7 Billion, National Geographic Magazine - YouTube
• 7 Billion: Are You Typical? -- National Geographic Magazine - YouTube
• Why has the world’s population exploded?
• Could large populations be a problem?
Population is dropping in Europe, Japan,
Australia because birth rates have
Countries in Africa, Asia, and South America
have exploding populations because of
high birth rates.
Even though the United States has slightly
lower birth rates, a high level of
immigration has kept the population high.
How do you track population?
Population pyramids—a bar graph that
shows the percentage of males and
females and age groups in a given country.
Pyramids are used to show whether a
population is growing or declining; it also
indicates the breakdown of gender and
Create your own pyramid