Interdepartmental Invoice Instructions
An Interdepartmental invoice is used to charge or credit another cost center in the University for supplies provided or
1. REFERENCE NUMBER: Internal reference number supplied by the billing department.
2. DATE: Current date.
3. NAME OF DEPARTMENT RECEIVING SERVICES: Identify the department being billed.
4. ACCOUNT CODE INFORMATION OF DEPARTMENT RECEIVING SERVICES. Enter the valid fund, account code and
cost center number of the department receiving the supplies or services. Refer to the Financial Policies &
Procedures book or call the General Accounting Office if you have questions.
5. NAME OF DEPARTMENT PROVIDING SERVICES: Identify the department providing the supplies or services.
6. ACCOUNT CODE INFORMATION OF DEPARTMENT PROVIDING SERVICES. Enter the valid fund, account code and
cost center number of the department providing the supplies or services. Refer to the Financial Policies & website
at http://financialaffairs.georgetown.edu/forms/forms.html or call the General Accounting Office if you have
7. DESCRIPTION OF SUPPLIES FURNISHED OR SERVICES PROVIDED: Describe the supplies furnished or the services
rendered. Itemize as necessary.
8. AMOUNT: Record the total amount of goods or services.
9. PURPOSE OF SUPPLIES FURNISHED OR SERVICES PROVIDED. Provide a detail explanation of the reason the
receiving department is requesting supplies or services.
10. REPRESENTATIVE OF DEPARTMENT RECEIVING SERVICES: An authorized representative from the department
receiving the supplies or services must print his/her name and sign in the spaces provided. The signer
acknowledges that the supplies or services have been delivered or performed. The representative of the department
receiving services must present his/her GU ID card to the representative of the service provider for identity
11. GUID: The service provider’s representative must review and record the GUID of the receiving department’s
12. AUTHORIZED ADMINISTRATOR OF DEPARTMENT RECEIVING SERVICES: The administrator of the department
receiving the supplies or services must print and sign his/her name in the spaces provided. Preparers can not
approve their own interdepartmental invoices. If the preparer is the department head, then the preparer’s supervisor
must approve the form. Do not use rubber stamp signatures or imprints in the signature fields.
13. LOCATION/PHONE NUMBER: These fields are used to record the campus address/location and phone extension of
the Authorized Administrator of the department receiving the supplies or services.
14. The department providing service must process an electronic Interdepartmental Journal voucher located at
http://financialaffairs.georgetown.edu/forms/forms.html within 30 days of delivery of the supplies or completion of
15. This form is used to generate one accounting transaction. The supplies furnished or the services rendered should be
similar in nature and should support the account code used to charge the department.
Send: One copy to receiving department and one copy to service provider department.