Middle School Curriculum – Band
I – Introduce
M – Master
R – Reinforce
Middle School Grade 5 Grade 6 Grade 7 Grade 8
1. Play with expression I I – M – Play a repertoire of vocal I – M – R – Play an age I – M – R – Play with
and technical accuracy, and instrumental literature at age appropriate repertoire of expression and technical
a repertoire of vocal appropriate levels throughout vocal and instrumental accuracy, a repertoire of vocal
and instrumental middle school. Perform a few literature with accurate and instrumental literature
literature including songs from memory. rhythm and pitch, and including some songs performed
some songs performed appropriate dynamics. from memory.
from memory. Perform a larger repertoire of
songs from memory.
2. Play music I I –M –R – Play a repertoire of I – M – R – Demonstrate M – R – Play music representing
representing diverse vocal and instrumental literature appropriate style when diverse genres and cultures with
genres and cultures representing diverse genres and playing jazz, classical, and expression appropriate for the
with expression cultures at age appropriate levels. folk music. work being performed.
appropriate for the
work being performed.
3. Play accurately with I I – M – Play accurately with good
good breath control breath control throughout their
throughout their singing ranges.
4. Play music written I I – M – Sing music written in two
in tow or three parts. or three parts.
5. Perform accurately I I – M – R – Perform accurately in I – M – R – Perform a solo M –R – Perform accurately with
with appropriate small groups and large ensembles. with appropriate technique. appropriate technique on at least
technique on at least Perform duets, trios, or one instrument – solo, in large
one instrument – solo, quartets accurately. and small ensembles.
in large and small
7. Play simple I I – M – Identify a\the tonal center
melodies and harmonic (home tone) of a piece. Identify
accompaniments by ear. simple chord progressions by ear.
8. Read whole, half, I I – M – Define simple, compound M – R – Read whole, half, M – R – Read whole, half,
quarter, eighth, and all breve meters and be able to quarter, eighth, sixteenth, quarter, eighth, sixteenth, dotted
sixteenth, dotted notes identify by ear. dotted notes and rests, in notes and rests, in simple,
and rests, in simple, simple and alla breve meters. compound, and alla breve
compound and alla meters.
9. Sight-read simple I I – M – Sight-read simple melodies M – Sight-read simple
melodies in treble and in treble or bass clef. melodies in treble and bass
bass clef. clef.
10. Use standard I I I – M – Use standard notation I – M – R – Use standard
notation to record to record short personal notation to record personal
personal musical ideas musical ideas. musical ideas and the musical
and the musical ideas of ideas of others.
Middle School Grade 5 Grade 6 Grade 7 Grade 8
1. Describe specific I I – M – Describe specific music
music events in a given events in a given aural example,
aural example, using using appropriate terminology.
2. Analyze the uses of I I – M – Demonstrate how one of I – M – R – Demonstrate how I – M – R – Analyze the uses of
elements of music in the basic elements of music is used several of the basic elements elements of music in aural
aural examples in music of diverse genres and of music are used in music of examples representing diverse
representing diverse styles. (Continue to develop diverse genres and styles. genres and cultures.
genres and cultures. repertoire of music from diverse (Continue to develop
styles and genres). repertoire of music from
diverse styles and genres).
3. Demonstrate I M – Demonstrate knowledge of the M – Demonstrate knowledge R
knowledge of the basic basic principals of meter: 2/4, ¾, of the basic principals of
principals of meter, 4/4, 2/2, and 6/8. Demonstrate tonality: major scales and
rhythm, tonality, understanding of the intervals of a triads for I-IV-V harmonic
intervals, chords, and major scale. progressions in simple major
harmonic progressions keys.
in their analyses of
4. Develop criteria for I I – M – Use criteria based on I – M – R – Use criteria M – R – Use criteria based on
evaluating the quality concepts taught in class to evaluate based on concepts taught in concepts taught in class to
and effectiveness of the quality and effectiveness of class to evaluate the quality evaluate the quality and
music performances music performances. and effectiveness of music effectiveness of music
and compositions and performances and performances and compositions
apply these criteria compositions. and apply these criteria when
when performing. performing.
5. Evaluate the quality I I – M – See III.MS.4 M – R – Evaluate the quality
and effectiveness of and effectiveness of one’s own
one’s own and other’s and other’s performances,
performances, compositions, arrangements and
compositions, improvisations by applying
arrangements and specific and appropriate criteria
improvisations by (one’s own and other’s) and
applying specific and offering constructive suggestions
appropriate criteria for improvement.
(one’s own and other’s)