DISTRICT 43 MEETING MINUTES
January 13, 2009
The meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church in State College, PA. The meeting
opened at 7:20 PM with the Serenity Prayer.
INTRODUCTIONS: GSRs and District Panel introduced themselves.
CONCEPT OF THE MONTH: Sherry P. read Concept I. No discussion took place.
DCM: Scott reported. Reviewed Concepts, Traditions, Panel 59 Calendar and Panel 59 Delegate
General Recommendations handouts. Scott and Sherry P. also attended the 4th Quarter Area
meeting and DCM Orientation. Scott asked the group to take General Recommendations to
groups and discuss. He also made note that the Area mileage rate is set at .40 per mile. District
43 is set at IRS charitable rate of .55 per mile. Scott felt rate was too high and if it should be set
at .40 per mile. Discussion took place among GSRs over the history and reasoning behind
District .55 per mile. Debbie made a motion to bring rates back to the groups to discuss and bring
group decisions back to next district meeting. Scott discussed that at the Area QTR 4 meeting,
the 2008 General Service conference announced an Advisory action, “That the trustees’ finance
and Budgetary Committee gather input from the Fellowship on the benefits and liabilities, both
spiritual and practical, of fully funding the G.S.O Service Fellowship (G.S.O. Functional
expenses) by the voluntary contributions of A.A members and groups and that this information
be forwarded to the 2009 Conference Committee on Finance.” This was to be compiled prior to
the Mini-planning on January 18th that Sherry is attending, but the GSRs did not have time to
take back to groups.
Scott also encouraged new GSRs to submit the Group Change forms to him and he would
submit. They were to review the information that Area currently had on hand for accuracy that
Scott passed around.
ADCM: Sherry reported that she attended the QTR meeting and DCM orientations with Scott.
TREASURER: Andres reported. He handed out the contributions and expense report. Our
current balance is $1,339.92. Scott asked how much of this the prudent reserve is. Andres will
contact the past treasurer to discuss. Andres will be revising contributions and expense report for
easier, simpler reading and use.
SECRETARY: Pam M. did roll call. She asked if a new confidential phone list should be
created from scratch or update the current outdated one. Motion to create a new one. GSRs to
collect member’s phone numbers. Also, there is a request to update the hotline numbers and Pam
informed GSRs that in the past, members were suggested to have at least 1 year of sobriety.
GSRs are to bring back list of those willing to be on the hotline at next district meeting.
OFFICER AT LARGE: Rod reported he received the officer-at-large supplies. He will be
speaking with Scott Mc. (past officer at large) on his responsibilities. He will get back to the
District on where the next meeting will take place.
Currently, no committees have been formed. No report.
TRADITION OF THE MONTH: Sherry P. read the tradition of the month; Tradition I. Scott
discussed how Tradition I and Concept I tied together, personal recovery as well as AA unity.
Terry discussed how important unity is. He talked about the Lock Haven meetings that did shut
down and District wasn’t aware till much later. He also talked about how important he felt the
Visitation Committee is to keep district aware and the “dark area” of district aware of what is
NEW BUSINESS: Debbie talked about sending contributions to GSB (General Service Board).
She is not getting confirmation it was received. Scott said he will get Debbie the contact info of
the Area Treasurer to report problem. She asked that the other GSRs go back to their groups to
see if they are experiencing the same problem. Sherry said Scott and her could take it back to the
Area QTR2 meeting as well and ask GSRs to verify that their correct name and number are on
Rod asked if any district members can attend District. Discussion took place that yes, they can,
but no, they cannot vote.
Minnie R. brought up the new bad weather polic. St. Andrew’s is closed if State College School
District is closed. There was confusion that the janitor had made this discussion. Scott informed
everyone it was the church’s decision to have St. Andrew’s closed if the School district closed
due to bad weather not the janitor. Sherry suggested to the GSRs that if this is an issue, they
could change their meetings to another location or make arrangements for an alternate location
when the church is closed.
Rick asked what was the three biggest issues the last panel had and if we could contact them.
Scott let Rick know that the current panel consisted of past GSRs and he was the officer-at-large
on the last panel. Andres felt the biggest issues they faced were the mileage expense, money and
expenses themselves. The current panel agreed.
Talked took place about what committees District 43 needs. Due to GSRs that are attending
district meetings, there is one GSR per committee rather than a committee itself. Scott and
Sherry suggested that a group inventory should take place to decide. Terry felt the TCFC
committee was important and needed. Discussion also took place around the Visitations and the
ADHOC committees. District decided to bring the discussion back to the groups to discussion as
old business at next district meeting.
Meeting was adjourned at 9:36 PM with the Responsibility Pledge.
Pam M., Secretary
P.O. Box 912
Lemont, PA 16851-0912