National Budget Lab Activity
1. Search for information on the National Budget Expenditures. Find our major
categories of spending (current fiscal year or projections for next fiscal year are fine).
2. Search for sources of federal revenue and find the amounts collected (current fiscal
year or projections for next fiscal year are fine).
3. Create a pie chart (one for expenses and one for revenues) that depicts the info
correctly. Use any program you’d like – Word and Excel both have pie chart options.
Paste the pie charts into a Word doc (if you aren’t already using Word). (30 points per
4. Calculate the deficit. (Deficit = Expenditures-Revenue). Type the number (not words)
using 24 point font. (5 points).
5. What is our current national debt? Type the number using 24 point font. (5 points).
6. Balance the budget. Are you going to cut spending? Raise taxes? Explain and justify
why you made the change(s) you made. (Type this on the word document below your
pie charts.) (20 points)
7. Type your name on the page (Insert > Header and). Put your bibliography (websites
where you found your information – bib format info on p.170 in your agenda)
information into the footer (Insert > Footer) (10 points). Save. Print. Turn in.
*When this document is done it will (not should) look like it has been professionally