Crane Safety on Construction Sites
• Construction safety can be successfully influenced by owners
• Contractor is the key organization
• Many other participating organizations are not on the
– Responsible Organizations (13) – crane manufacturers to industrial
– Work Performed (15) – collective group of diverse tasks Responsible
– Responsibility Level (9) – degree and nature of Responsible
Organization’s link with Work Performed item
Crane Safety Responsibility Matrix
Organization Agents Construction Project1 Crane
Architect & Engineer (A&E)
Owner (Public or Private)
Service Provider (SP)2
A = Action Agent Primary.
Project a = Action Agent Secondary.
Contract Document G G G G G A p G = Guidance.
Design G G p = Primary Responsibility.
Fabrication G G P P = Primary Responsibility plus Primary
Manuals G P Action Agent.
Certification G G R S p A S S = Secondary Responsibility.
C = Sets crane capability.
Crane Safety Plan R S a P C
Transport (On-Site) R P C R = Makes rules.
Transport (Off-Site) R S P C Blank - No designated responsibility
Erection R P C
Use R P C
Dismantling R P C
The Training of:3
Managers G G p p G
Supervisors G G p p G
Riggers G G a S S G
Operators G G a S S S S G
• Crane Manufacturer
– Design and Fabrication
– Sets crane capability data
– Product liability
– Sends rep to supervise initial assembly
– Training and manuals/aids for use
• Crane Certifier
– Physically determines crane is mechanically
and structurally able to perform within criteria
– Issues certificate
– Independent of manufacturer, owner or
• Crane Owner
– Obtaining crane certification
– Action agent for transport on and off site
• Project Owner
– Contract documents
– May delegate to A&E
– Ensures A&E performs duties
– Overall project safety
– Development of Crane Safety Plan and
enforcement of plan
– Training of managers and supervisors
– Ensuring certification/training of riggers and
– Safety training of other employees on site
– Prepares lift plans
– Training of User’s managers and supervisors
• Service Provider
– Transport, erection, use and dismantling
– Ensures up-to-date certification from crane