Important Events in the
History of Ancient
University of St. Thomas
By Dave Schneck
Abraham and the Stars
• Abraham was one of the founders of
• God tells Abraham to leave Mesopotamia
for a “Promised Land” in Canaan.
• The stars are a reminder that Abraham’s
descendents are to be as “numerous as the
Slavery in Egypt
• Israelites were forced to perform difficult
• Israelites were guarded and often whipped
• Slave labor built palaces and cities in Egypt.
Moses and the Exodus
• Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt back
to the “Promised Land” in Canaan.
• Moses raised his staff so that the Israelites
could pass through the waters.
• The army of Pharaoh Ramesses II did not
succeed in capturing the Israelites.
Moses and the Ten
• Moses received the Ten Commandments
from God on Mount Sinai.
• God promised to protect the people if they
were to live by His commandments.
• The two stone tablets were kept in the Ark
of the Covenant and housed in a special tent
called a “tabernacle”.
Joshua and Jericho
• Joshua was the leader of the Israelites after
the death of Moses.
• Jericho was the first city the Israelites
encountered after returning to Canaan.
• After seven days of siege, the walls of
Jericho crumbled at the sounds of trumpets.
Teachers’ Curriculum Institute:
“Ancient Egypt and the Near East”.
Palo Alto, California, 1997.