Black Prince Road
London, SE1 7SJ
Fax: 0845 226 7874
Registered UK charity no. 326859
AbleChildAfrica is a charity based in the UK which works with partner organisations in Africa to achieve
equal rights for disabled children and young people. We have been working in East Africa for the past
25 years and currently work with 5 partner organisations across three countries- Uganda, Kenya and
Tanzania. We support and resource these partners, working together to create sustainable change to
improve the lives of disabled children and their families. AbleChildAfrica is undergoing a period of
growth and is looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated intern to become an integral part of our
small team. The ideal candidate will have ambitions to work in international development and the
Location: Central London- Southbank
Hours: 2-3 days a week, exact hours negotiable
Duration: We require a commitment of a minimum of 6 months with the possibility of extension.
Reporting to: Programmes Officer
Salary: This is an unpaid internship. Travel expenses and any reasonable adjustments needed can be
covered. AbleChildAfrica is committed to the quality of the internship program we offer. The successful
candidate will be provided with a tailored mentoring programme and genuine opportunities for
1. To help manage the day-to-day administration of the office
2. To maximise productivity and efficiency in the office
3. To support the raising of funds to ensure long term sustainability of operations
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The duties listed below will be tailored to meet the learning objectives of a successful internship
candidate. If you have a particular interest in developing skills not directly listed below please ensure
these are highlighted in your cover letter.
Routine Office Administration
1. Manage reception- greet guests and answer the telephone
2. Handle routine correspondence and enquires, including communicating with donors, suppliers,
3. Make travel arrangements-book flights and hotels, facilitate procurement of visa’s when
needed, process travel expense claims
4. Liaise with the Trustees, arrange meetings and take minutes when appropriate.
5. Order and maintain stationary and supplies
6. Process invoices and prepare payments
7. Process donations
8. Update website and take the lead on social media presence
9. Provide other administrative support to the staff team as needed
1. Liaise with overseas partners, collect information as relevant to strategic planning and support
annual data collection for monitoring and evaluation.
2. Support and proofread funding applications
3. Create database of case-studies
4. Support coordination of fundraising events and activities.
AbleChildAfrica is undergoing growth and needs to review the systems which are in place to ensure
both financial and operational efficiency. Possible tasks include:
1. Organise and improve efficiency of internal resources library, both electronic and hard copy.
2. Review IT system
a. Review current office system and research alternatives
b. Research efficient and cost effective ways of regularly communicating and
collaborating with overseas partners
c. Create global electronic address book for use by all office personnel
The ideal candidate will have a genuine interest in working in the charity sector and a proven
commitment to working with or for children. An interest in disability and international development
are highly desirable. Disabled candidates are particularly encouraged to apply and those meeting the
essential criteria are guaranteed an interview.
Commitment to AbleChildAfrica’s mission and values Experience, interest in or commitment to a career
and to a rights based approach to development in international development
Excellent written and spoken communication skills Experience, interest in or commitment to children
Ability to work both independently and as part of a (such as direct work, advocacy or research
team, as the task requires experience)
Proactive, creative and enthusiastic Experience, interest in or commitment to
Accuracy and attention to detail disability issues
Ability to work to deadlines whilst managing a wide Experience, interest in or commitment to Africa
and varied workload; ability to multi-task Previous administrative experience
Computer literate across MS Office applications Experience using social media in a professional
Database management skills- including Raisers
How to Apply
Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9am Monday 23rd July, 2012.
Interviews will be held the week of July 30th TBC. Your cover letter should highlight your interest in
AbleChildAfrica and your motivation for undertaking this internship. Please detail your availability and
relevant experience, ensuring this is in line with above job description and person specification. Please
specifically confirm your commitment to work for a minimum of six months in a voluntary capacity.