WaterAid Malawi is seeking the services of a qualified IT Professional to fill the position of Information
Technology Officer tenable at its Malawi Country Programme Office in Lilongwe.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Support to members of staff
1. Provide technical support to staff (20-30) as needed, including documenting, prioritizing, and
resolving issues for computer hardware and software, including printing, installation, MSOffice,
email, and operating systems; answer questions or resolve computer problems for staff either in
person, via telephone or from a remote location.
2. Research and recommend solutions for technical projects and issues.
3. Advise, consult, and estimate on new and legacy development projects, including intranet and
4. Identify training and support needs for users and develop and/or source the training required to
encourage WaterAid staff knowledge, understanding and utilisation of IT hardware and software
deployed at WaterAid.
5. Conduct end user training and assist staff with the use of new office software.
6. Supporting the communications officer with online presence on the WaterAid intranet, and with
storage and editing of media.
7. Troubleshoot, Manage and clean virus infections on all workstations and the server
Software and hardware maintenance
8. Responsible for all routine maintenance responsibilities such as network, hardware and software
installation, upgrades and troubleshooting and company website enhancements- both internal and
9. Troubleshoot, install and update all information technology resources, including software,
hardware, networking, desktops, laptops, PDAs, peripherals,
networks, audio/videoconferencing, and A/V equipment.
10. Maintain inventory of all WaterAid IT hardware, including desktops, laptops, servers, routers and
peripherals, software licenses, subscriptions, equipment warranties, and updates
11. Responsible for administration and scheduling of daily and monthly backups in line with the IT
Policy for country programmes. The officer will also be responsible for restoring data when
12. Develop and deploy new software projects using internal resources, or coordinate outside
programmers as necessary.
13. Maintain printers/toners and conduct user training on printers, copier, faxes
14. Work with software vendors to ensure maximum stability and uptimes of various software
15. Install phones and configure phone system changes
16. Monitor adherence to WaterAid’s various security policies such as internet and email
policies, backup policies and anti-virus policies for all desktop and laptop users.
17. Develop, review and administer regular office IT assessment tools/checklist
18. Experience with design and development of application programs from analysis to
19. Maintain an understanding of the latest technology and how to apply it to our operations.
20. Maintain accurate records and be able to create documentation to support policies and procedures.
Network Administration and Management
21. Utilize networking technology to provide connectivity and real-time sharing of data between
22. Maintain uptime for all network connectivity, including Servers, VPN, Internet
23. Troubleshooting any connectivity problems, monitoring and liaising with local ISP’s
24. Support VOIP & OCS related problems as well as ensure effective use of the software.
Coordination with Other WaterAid Offices
25. Keep UK IT up to date of local developments/ changes in IT and telecoms sector in country
programs which may impact WaterAid IT and systems.
26. Actively share with the global IT team to develop and improve the IT policies and standards for
WaterAid. This involves participating in a monthly teleconference and online discussions.
27. Manage multiple projects with various deadlines.
28. Maintain inventory of all WaterAid IT hardware, including desktops, laptops, servers,
routers and peripherals, software licenses, subscriptions, equipment warranties, and
29. Recommend to the Internal Procurement Committee on proper specifications for IT
equipment to be purchased
30. Responsible for registration and administration of IT assets
31. Undertake any other tasks that may reasonably be requested by the Head of IT & Systems
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Advanced Diploma in information Bachelors Degree in Information
technology or other relevant technical Technology, Software Engineering, or
discipline other relevant technical discipline
Strong understanding of the data used for Ability to review data and provide any
effective tracking of project deliverables, analysis required to enable data-based
activities and costs through reporting decisions.
processes in a PPM tool. Strong understanding of reporting metrics
Minimum 3 years experience supporting Experience in training needs
Office environments identification and planning
Experience and understanding of Vsat and
HP ProLiant ML370 Generation 5 server
Hardware and software maintenance on
laptops, desktop and Server
Networking and internet equipment
Excellent oral and written communication Communication skills, both for a
skills. professional/specialist and lay audience.
Analytical and research skills Knowledge of business intelligence
Advanced MS Office experience reporting (SPSS preferred
including Excel, Word, Access Articulate with above average
Ability to work well in a Team
Ability to work with minimum
Time management and ability to prioritise
multiple, competing tasks.
Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-
lingual and multi-country team.
Closing date: 15th July 2011
To apply, please send the following:
1. A supporting statement of no more than one page with a summary of why you are
applying, your skills and experience and how these are relevant to the role, how you
meet the person specification requirements and what in particular you would bring to
2. A copy of your current CV.
3. The names, positions and contact details of at least two referees, including your current
or most recent employer. No contact will be made with any referee in advance of an offer
being made, without your prior approval.
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating ‘IT Officer’ in the subject line
of the e-mail.