Post Title: Cashier (Woodlane)
Salary: This post has been evaluated at Grade 2. The current full-time salary
range for this grade is £15,151 to £17,329 (£18,340) per annum (pro rata).
Increments to progress up the scale are awarded annually on the 1
September, subject to satisfactory service, until the scale maximum is
reached. The salary figure in brackets represents the level that could be
reached with the award of discretionary increments given for exceptional
performance and contribution by an individual.
Hours: 20 hours per week for 38 weeks per year (term time will be 4 hours per
day for 33 weeks; non term time will require less days per week and the
pattern will vary according to the activities on campus)
Date: July 2012
Responsible To: Financial Accountant
This post makes an important contribution to the College’s mission by counting, reconciling
for and banking all monies received by the College’s finance office at Woodlane, including
income for the college, Falmouth Enterprises Limited and Falmouth Exeter Plus (FXPlus).
The Combined Universities in Cornwall initiative (CUC) is a partnership of Further and Higher
Education institutions: Cornwall College, Truro College, University College Falmouth, the
University of Exeter and the University of Plymouth, working together in and for Cornwall. This
post is part of University College Falmouth's CUC Phase 3 growth. For more information on the
CUC see www.cuc.ac.uk.
Main tasks and responsibilities
1. To count, reconcile and record any monies received by the finance office and issue
receipts as necessary. This will involve handling cash for up to four different organisations
and ensuring that they are accurately and separately recorded.
2. To collect with caretaking staff monies received by the campus shop, nursery, refectory
and bar. Count cash collected and reconcile with appropriate till readings, record and
3. To print daily banking summaries from the College’s integrated finance system and
reconcile with the total of the day’s takings. This will include the reconciliation of monies
accepted automatically by credit or debit cards.
4. To reconcile amounts received with the banking summary, recording cheques and cash
and preparing bank paying-in slips prior to collection by the College’s security agents.
Page 1 of 3
5. Carry out bank reconciliations for all College bank accounts including the downloading of
data from the direct bank link, posting of unreconciled items and the balancing of all
accounts using the automatic bank reconciliation facility.
6. Record and reconcile the College’s and FX Plus’s petty cash in the Woodlane finance
General Duties and Responsibilities
1. To work within and actively support the equality and diversity policies and practices of
University College Falmouth.
2. To notify a more senior member of staff of any errors or concerns at the earliest
3. To participate in the College’s Annual Performance Development Review Process.
4. To ensure that the University College’s cross-cutting themes of partnership, equality and
diversity and sustainability inform all activity related to the role.
5. To ensure communications systems and practices support effective management
arrangements and promote good relations with staff and students.
6. To work within a framework of effective governance, ensuring compliance with relevant
Regulations, Legislation/Policies and Procedures.
7. To be responsible for your own continuing self-development.
8. Working within the Health and Safety at Work Act, the post holder has a legal duty to take
reasonable care for Health and Safety both for themselves and others who may be
affected by their actions. They are also required to undertake Health and Safety training
commensurate with the level required by the post and to take part in risk assessment
procedures and the implementation of agreed recommended work practices within the
9. To undertake other duties not specifically stated above, which from time to time are
necessary for the effective performance of the University College’s business without
altering the nature or level of responsibility involved.
Page 2 of 3
Post title: Cashier (Woodlane)
Attributes Essential requirements Desirable requirements
Education/Qualifications A good general level of education.
Experience/Knowledge Cash-handling and general accounts
Experience of using fully integrated
Skills/Personal requirements Numerate, accurate, reliable and
Confident in dealing with and
handling cash, cheques and credit
Able to work effectively as part of a
Capable of communicating with a
diverse range of staff on finance
Page 3 of 3