NON-METALS Work Card
A. Match the characteristics of non-metals with an example of a non-metal element that has that characteristic:
Characteristic of a non-metal Example of a non-metal that best fits that characteristic
1. Poor conductors of heat or electricity (a) sulphur
2. usually dull and not shiny (b) charcoal (carbon)
3. brittle – weak and easily broken (c) plastic
B. Answer the following questions:
1. What is one non-metal which is an exception to the rule and is a good conductor of heat or electricity?
2. Which non metallic element is used in the hardening of oils?
3. Which non-metallic element is used in the manufacture of fertilizers?
4. Carbon is a non-metallic element. In the form of charcoal it can be used in a number of different ways. List two
5. Why must we not burn charcoal in an enclosed area?