Deploy Effective Language Translation Solutions to Avoid Marketing Mistakes
Translation is the meaningful communication from a source language to a target language. Translation
attains greater importance in today’s business scenario where rapid globalization has made it necessary
for enterprises to communicate with clients in a language that is different from their own. Since it is
practically impossible to learn the languages of all those countries where enterprises wish to expand
their business, the best possible solution is to select good language translation services.
Most enterprises look for language translation solution at the last moment. This can prove costly
because wrong translation solutions can result in the creation of incorrect, inaccurate, and culturally
inappropriate translations. The following are some of the erroneous translations made in the past.
· The Dairy Association's huge campaign for "Got Milk?" was inappropriate especially in Mexico
where it meant "Are You Lactating”.
· The phrase "Finger Lickin' Good", the popular slogan of the KFC was advertised in all countries
including China. However, in Chinese, it translates to "eat your fingers off".
· The brewing company, Coors once used the slogan, "Turn it Loose", which in Spanish meant
"Suffer from Diarrhea".
· General Motors named their new vehicle, the Chevrolet Nova but unfortunately, "No Va" in
Central and South America means "It Doesn't Go".
· Honda named their new vehicle Honda Fitta but had to rename it Honda Jazz because in Swedish,
Norwegian and Danish languages ‘Fitta’ was an old word used in vulgar language to refer to a woman's
· The company, Parker Pen had once used the slogan, "It won't leak in your pocket and embarrass
you". Unfortunately, in Mexico this phrase when translated means, “It won't leak in your pocket and
make you pregnant".
These embarrassing marketing mistakes show how a small translation mistake affects a company’s
name and reputation. It also points out the importance of undertaking cross-cultural marketing research
before proceeding with translation. Hence, it is important to get translation services from industry
experts who provide corporate and global translation solution, custom tailored to meet enterprise
localization needs. Such a move is necessary for enterprises to ensure that foreign customers correctly
infer the meaning of their marketing messages.
Related Links: language translation network, automated language translation