In McKinney we have a comprehensive Literacy
Program to ensure that all students become proficient
• Our five components of Reading are..
1. Shared Reading
2. Read -Alouds
3. Independent Reading Time
4. Working with Words
5. Guided Reading: Groups will be determined by formal assessments such as DRA and
I- Station results as well as informal observations performed while working with your
Reading Homework: Technology Component:
We ask that you read about 20 Starfall and Tumble Books
minutes each night with your
child. We will discuss this further Smart Board Programs and
in our classrooms.
• Stevenson • These are both Phonics based
methods to aid in the teaching of
Phonics reading, spelling, writing, and other
• Spalding language skills.
Spelling • As part of a whole language reading
approach. Not the only approach.
• Phonemic awareness- letters, sound symbol correspondence
• Letter formation – directionality-handwriting ( practice holding
a pencil, small motor skills, neatness)
• Mnemonics- Memory aiding tools, to teach vowel diagraphs,
blends, etc. (Peanut Butter & Jelly and Layer Cake Words)
• Word work
• We will also begin sorting students by ability level and rotate
among all Kindergarten teachers. This will be called “Word
Busters” This will insure that ALL students are getting what they
need in regards to Phonics / Language Arts.
Main Topics We Cover How We Teach Them
• Sets up to 20
• Addition and Subtraction 1. Tabor Rotations
• Patterns • Morning Calendar
• Counting to 100 from any number and • Manipulatives
counting backwards from 20
• Graphing and using data to answer
questions • Small Group Work
• Calendar • Tubs
• Measurement- non-standard • Technology
• Problem solving
Empowering Writers / Interactive
We begin by: We move to:
Thinking Stick figures
Drawing Scribble writing
Writing No letters or words
Inventive Spelling: Phonetic Spelling:
Putting random letters down as we learn Begin associating letters w/ their sounds and
them with little regard to the sounds that start to label our pictures using beginning
they make. sounds, them moving to ending sounds, and
finally ending sounds and vowels.
We will then move on from words to This is a slow process. We take each student
sentences, and then to stories with from where they are as writers and let them
beginning, middle, and endings, and finally move through these stages as they are ready.
to complete stories that we have drafted, We just provide the tools and they learn to
illustrated, edited, and published ourselves. love writing.
Science in Kindergarten is a hands-on experience!
• We observe with our 5 senses
• We conduct scientific experiments
• We record information in our Science
A few of our topics this year include:
• Weather and Seasons We integrate and
• Parts of a System
connect our Science
• Trees objectives into other
• Light and Sound subject areas as well,
• Human Body
such as into our
and our writing.
Social Studies is taught through integration and
• With Literature
• Community Circles – The 7 Habits
• Role Play
• Integration with other subject areas
1. Authority Figures
3. Customs and Traditions
4. Human Differences
5. Historical Figures