Strathpeffer Community Council
DRAFT – SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT NEXT MEETING
Minutes of Meeting at Strathpeffer Community Centre: Monday 9 July 2012
Present: - Alison Munro (AM),Hon Secretary, Peter Walling (PW),Acting Chair, Karen Evans
(KL) Douglas Murray (DM) John Wombell (JW)
Secretary: Ann McCreesh(AMC)
Highland Constabulary: Alison Millar, John Beverly
Members of the Public
No Item Action
Kit Bowen (KB) Rob Elliott (RE)Peter Walling is acting as Chairperson
2. Minutes of meeting of 11/06/2012
Item 5 was queried by AM- She had asked for amount the Gardening Group AMC
had left to spend. AMC to clarify with AL and amend minutes if necessary.
Otherwise adopted and proposed by Douglas Murray and seconded by
3. Accounts Monthly Report
No Report and Treasurer AL not present at meeting
4.. Resignation of Vice Chair
Steve Macdonald has resigned his position as Vice Chairperson. His
resignation was accepted by the committee.
Peter Walling (PW) was nominated by Karen Evans (KE) and seconded by
Alison Munro(AM) as Vice Chair. He accepted the position.
Amc to email Robbie Bain to find out the process for replacing members of AMC
5. Matters Arising
The Shieling DM/KB
Douglas Murray(DM) gave an update. He attended a meeting with the owner
of The Shieling on 14/06. It seems she is willing to consider selling the
property. Dm and Kit Bowen(KB) are seeking a quote for the repairs needed
and KB has emailed the owner with details of what he will be looking for
when obtaining quotes. Awaiting response.
Strathpeffer to Jamestown Path
KB has emailed Philip Waite at THC. After having spoken to Major Whitelaw
it seems he is unwillingly to consider suggestions until a decision has been
made on his planning application expected later in the year. Jean McNair
(member of Public) believes the Finlaysons would be willing to offer part of
their land on the opposite side of the road giving another option. However the
preferred option remains going through Major Whitelaw’s land. Am also AM
Strathpeffer Community Council Meeting 7 May 2012 Page 1
agreed to speak to neighbours re options
Paths Network JW/DM
John Wombell(JW) has drafted a proposal which is to be forwarded to all
members for consideration and will be carried forward to August meeting.
Douglas Murray (DM) has agreed to assist JW with the proposal
Village Maintenance Work
Failure of THC to Consult
KB has informed AMC that he has received a response which he will update KB
the Committee with at August meeting
6. Village Hedges
JW has taken pictures of various hedges in the village which need work and JW
pose a safety issue. The worst of these has been identified as being opposite
the Strathpeffer Hotel. JW has agreed to draft a letter to property owners
requesting their hedges are cut. A 2nd letter is also to be drafted to THC re
the Beech Hedge down the main road outlining their responsibilities
regarding maintenance of the hedge.
7. Police report:
Alison Millar is moving on secondment to Inverness for 2 months and then
transferring to Grampian Police. She introduced PC John Beverly who will
take over the role of liason and will compile Police Report and attend future
SCC meetings where possible.
1 person charged in relation to a drink driving offence at Achterneed Junction
A non injury traffic collision occurred on 23 June at Tarvie on A835. One
person subject to report to Procurator Fiscal.
24 June 1 person subject to a report to Procurator Fiscal due to the manner
of their driving at Brahan on A835
Police are continuing to target speeding vehicles with 1 person being
cautioned and charged in the month
Police are appealing for information regarding the theft on a 15ft Fly Rod
between 2 June and 4 June from a Fishermans Hut at Coul Fisheries on
Please contact Strathpeffer and Garve Community Officer John Beverly with
any information on 08456005703
The issues of continued speeding in the village was raise particularly at the
entrances to the village. John will look into extra speeding checks at the
8. Business Association
KB has received an email from Sally Dovey to request support for the
resurrection of the Business Association. KB and SCC are supportive of this.
Strathpeffer Community Council Meeting 7 May 2012 Page 2
9. Planning Issues
The only new application relates to Fife Lodge where they wish to erect a
replacement garage which Rob Elliott(RE) does not think is an issue.
The chalets and managers accommodation at Ben Wyvis Hotel have now
Correspondence has been received from Kerry Bennett re the Conservation
areas of which DM has a copy
IMFDP – No Update carried forward
10. Progress Reports
Community Parks Project - A further Clean Up day has been planned for
Sunday 15th July between 10 and 4pm to build upon the clearance work
already started. Flyers are being hand delivered to the village by volunteers
and work is ongoing to complete relevant funding request forms.
Community Benefit - No Update Carried forward
Youth Club - The new Youth Club Worker is due to start work in September
and is using the Summer period to complete research. Peter Walling has
received a letter addressed to the Chair of SCC from John Lappin(Youth
Club Worker). This letter is pending discussion.
Marketing - No update
Strathpeffer Initiative - JW stated the Archaelogical Trail is not yet ready
for testing however when it is launched it will include a re - launch of the One
A request has been received from THC for Street naming for the plots at
Blairninch. Carried forward to next meeting
An email has been received from Posy Piper regarding the Cycle Path from
Strathpeffer to Dingwall. JW suggest we add this to the review of the footpath
network. SCC agreed to take forward this issue and DM and JW will
approach the original members of the group who looked into this.
A request has been received for funds to re paint the wood carvings in
Blackmuir Woods. It was agreed that there are no funds available for this at KB
present. KB to reply
JW is about to make new seats for the viewpoints and has sprinkled fresh
grass seed around these points.
PW is to contact Ian Allsop at FC regarding keeping the Footpaths around the PW
13. Date of next meeting: Monday 6 August 7.30 p.m.
Strathpeffer Community Council Meeting 7 May 2012 Page 3